You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keeping track of photos?

I am seriously considering migrating from Lightroom to Affinity but my biggest concern is how I will keep track of all my photographs both past and in the future. Hence my question:

How do I keep track of all my photos in Affinity?

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

• Staff

Hi Allsop,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo doesn't manage libraries, it's just a RAW converter/developer and photo editing software. You have to keep using Lightroom to manage your libraries. We have plans to develop our own DAM (digital assets management) software but it will take a while until that happens.

What you can do it set up Lightroom to use Affinity Photo as an external editor in Lightroom Preferences.

Hi Allsop,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo doesn't manage libraries, it's just a RAW converter/developer and photo editing software. You have to keep using Lightroom to manage your libraries. We have plans to develop our own DAM (digital assets management) software but it will take a while until that happens.

What you can do it set up Lightroom to use Affinity Photo as an external editor in Lightroom Preferences.

Sad to hear that this "will take a while until that happens". I jumped on the AP wagon just a week ago, not only because a DAM is over a year in development it seems. At least forum posts lead to that conclusion.

Using AP as a external editor is no real choice for anyone using RAW, or for everyone wanting a non destructive development.

I am still using Aperture but concurrently try to find new ways for working on my photos, as I fear the day Aperture will stop working on my system. So hopefully Affinity is ready to serve that day, and I have not bet on the wrong horse....

best regards

• 10 months later...

i'm primarily a LR user too, but i'm three iOS updts behind on my desktop mac cause my old LR5 (& CS5) will not be compatible once i upgrade my OS..... or will it??? anyone know?  I too heard AP was working on a photo mgt system similar to LR but i cant wait as long as it sounds it will take.  It was suggested to me I get PS Elements for basic photo management/organizing & quickie fixes & use Affinity as a compliment to Elements for more elaborate edits.... & fun.  Just have not had time to buy Elements yet.  Sure would love to upgrade my OS & still use my old LR5 (& CS5) software - anyone know for sure if it will still work or not??  I wont do subscriptions either!!!

May I suggest that Luminar will have a Digital Asset Management in 2018. In my (humble) opinion, and considering the way I develop my RAWs, Luminar is really competitive with Lightroom but misses some advanced features (and more) that Affinity offers. No question, I need both softwares! So, for me (again!) Luminar + Affinity photo is a good solution to avoid Lightroom. I patiently wait for the promised DAM next year and I will get rid of Lightroom 6 I still use a little bit today.

Hope it helps

On 13-12-2016 at 7:14 AM, Allsop said:

I am seriously considering migrating from Lightroom to Affinity but my biggest concern is how I will keep track of all my photographs both past and in the future. Hence my question:

How do I keep track of all my photos in Affinity?

Affinity Photo is no Lightroom replacement. Affinity Photo is more like a PhotoShop with Camera RAW competitor.

You could do it as I have done. Use Rawtherapee as a replacement for Lightroom and Affinity Photo as a replacement of PhotoShop. You could also use Darktable instead of Rawtherapee.