You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to Resize Document without "resample" image?

I bought Affinity 1.5 for Windows 7 and it absolutely refuses to resize an image (document) without re-sampling the size or resolution regardless of the little re-sample check box.

I want to change resolution and size separate from each other! 

Any clues, that I'm missing something after dozens of try's or is this a bug.  Such a basic thing renders the program useless to me.

I've also noted other comments about cropping... I'd like to enter size and resolution into the cropping arms as well though that problem is not so immediate.

I am not sure which Affinity app you are referring to or what you mean about changing size & resolution independently of each other, but the Affinity Photo - Understanding DPI video may explain a few things about the relationship between these two properties of a raster image.

Basically, if you want to change the pixel resolution you must resample the image, as explained in numerous Photoshop tutorials, for example here or here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Undestanding DPI video does not help to change dpi value. I personally did it in PS, there was no way to do it accurately in AP.

I am confused. In AP, does Document menu > Resize Document not do what you want? With resampling turned off, you can still change the dpi value with 100% accuracy, right? With resampling enabled, dpi & pixel count are interrelated, but that is to be expected if the image is being resampled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am confused. In AP, does Document menu > Resize Document not do what you want? With resampling turned off, you can still change the dpi value with 100% accuracy, right? With resampling enabled, dpi & pixel count are interrelated, but that is to be expected if the image is being resampled.

Usually the aim of resize without resample is to set physical dimensions of the image as wanted, i.e. set size in millimeters (or inches if you use pre-industrial revolution units). Again, usually that is not needed as size is set in layout or printing application. Exact size in millimeters is needed if you print from AP or you have automated workflow where layout app expects to get ready scaled images.

Thanks for the explanation. I was just thinking about the usual case, not any automated workflows where this might be a problem.

Affinity Photo 

I had the same problem.....there are plenty of times when you bring in an image from a camera that defaults to 72dpi at 30" x 40", depending on your sensor size. Normally the first thing I do is change it to 300 dpi without any interpolation, i.e. unchecking the resample box. I believe where the confusion is coming in is that Affinity is able to do it, but it does not show you in real time, like photoshop does. When you're in affinity photo and you go to resize image and uncheck the box, just change the resolution to 300 (30 x 40@300 dpi) and hit resize and it will change the size of the image to 7.2" x 9.6" @ 300 dpi without any interpolation. The problem in Affinity Photo, is that it does not show the change until you hit resize, contrary to photoshop, that shows in real time how you're resizing the image and affecting the size and/or resolution. Will this be fixed in future updates? I'm hoping it will be. I hope this sheds a little light on the confusion.

Good video on dpi but when I click new document and the new document screen where I can size my image everything is exactly as the video until I click okay.   I get a new document to size but my image is not on it. 

That is normal. It is a new document so there is nothing in it when it is first created, not even an empty layer.

As ixpoz said, the problem is AP's resize document window does not update the document's dimensions when you change the dpi setting if resampling is not checked. That is to be expected if the dimensions are displayed in pixels (because changing dpi without resampling does not change the number of pixels). As Fixx said, that in itself is not a problem unless you are trying to change the dimensions of the document to a specific inch, mm, etc. size by only changing the dpi.

You would normally need to do that only for the two situations Fixx mentioned, & only for printing directly from AP if for some reason you do not want to use the scale options in the print dialog.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...

Has this been fixed? It seems to me that you still can't change the dimension values, only DPI, if you uncheck the resample box.

Use case: I have an images that is 76,2 x 50,8 cm with 300 DPI. If I use Photoshop I can uncheck the "Resample image" checkbox and still change the dimension values, so that the images becomes 15 x 10 cm with 1524 DPI. I wish AP could do the same. (Of course, that is kind of a ridiculous DPI, but that's not the point.)

16 hours ago, AdrianB said:

Has this been fixed? It seems to me that you still can't change the dimension values, only DPI, if you uncheck the resample box.

Use case: I have an images that is 76,2 x 50,8 cm with 300 DPI. If I use Photoshop I can uncheck the "Resample image" checkbox and still change the dimension values, so that the images becomes 15 x 10 cm with 1524 DPI. I wish AP could do the same. (Of course, that is kind of a ridiculous DPI, but that's not the point.)

This might be a MAC vs PC thing.

Can be done in just one direction so to speak.
Changing dpi can do a non resample change of dimension but not the other way around.

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

Changing dpi can do a non resample change of dimension but not the other way around.

You can do that on a PC, too. But it sounds like AdrianB knows the final physical dimensions needed, and doesn't care about  the DPI. It would take some math to take the current dimensions and DPI and calculate a DPI that would give the desired new dimension :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can do that on a PC, too. But it sounds like AdrianB knows the final physical dimensions needed, and doesn't care about  the DPI. It would take some math to take the current dimensions and DPI and calculate a DPI that would give the desired new dimension :)

Yeah I get it, but isn't that a super simple calc? (not that we should be, in any shape or form, required to jump through a hoop like this)

50.8/10=5.08 so multiple 300 by 5.08 and you get the dimension changes.
(just wanted to make sure he was aware of the option. On MAC, depending on the elements of the window sometimes the new dimensions don't immediately update in the dialog box... so there's no feedback to the user that the change will even take effect.... until the commit button is hit.

For well over an hour I've been trying to change an image size, (something that should be so simple), without getting a jagged / pixelated edge of lower quality.  I need to work in inches and as it's for web use I presumed 72dpi is correct.  The original is around 52 inches wide, I'm trying to resize to 10 inches, but get an unusable result.  In Photoshop it would take me a few seconds, I've trawled the web and tried everything I could find but no use, still the same poor quality.  I'm sure I'm just missing a simple way of doing this just wish I knew how.

• 6 months later...

I have just resized an image, setting the DPI to 72 and the width to 6in. It resizes with no problem. If I look at the file properties they are as expected.

I am using the latest 1.7.1.404.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I have just resized an image, setting the DPI to 72 and the width to 6in. It resizes with no problem.

I think, John, that the major complaint in this topic is about wanting to change the size of a document, without resampling and without the user having to calculate and specify the new DPI value.

That is, the desire to specify the new size, uncheck Resample, and have Affinity figure out the proper DPI such that the existing pixels are interpreted as having a different output size. Basically a change of the document metadata, without changing any of the pixel data content as resampling would do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, exactly.

The situation is, you have an image and you want to print it at a certain size. In Photoshop, you would resize without resampling, specify the size you want, and you're done; the image is now the exact size you want without touching any pixels. In Affinity products, you have to resize without resampling, calculate current size ÷ desired size × current DPI and then set the DPI (which is also limited to integers so you can't even get exact sizes). Sure, that's possible, but why am I manually calculating ratios on behalf of a computer program? Especially if my workflow has me frequently printing images of arbitrary resolution at specific sizes.

• 4 months later...

This work now as requested in AP 1.7.3. Very good, thank you Serif!

Though if you change 300 dpi A4 document to A5 and back (width 210 mm > 105 mm > 210 mm) you end up with 299 dpi document which is rather strange result....