jackamus

Affinity crash?

I am trying to export a small part of a large drawing as a jpeg. I highlight the section of the drawing then go to File>Export>jpeg and Affinity crashes. When I reopen Affinity the drawing is still there but no mention of crash report or whatever.

Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

AD version 1.6.0

I am trying to export a small part of a large drawing as a jpeg. I highlight the section of the drawing then go to File>Export>jpeg and Affinity crashes. When I reopen Affinity the drawing is still there but no mention of crash report or whatever.

This is getting worse! I think Affinity has got itself totally scrambled LOL. I decided to close Affinity and start again but now I can't close down Affinity because 'Quit' is greyed-out in the menu! I'll have shut down the Mac. Affinity won't even let me do that!

AD version 1.6.0

Have you tried holding down the shift key when starting Affinity Designer? This should reset all the settings to the default.

And to force quit an app, you can go to the Dock, click and hold the Affinity Designer icon until a menu pops up. It should have an option to Force Quit. Another way is to hold down the command+option key and press ESC. This pops up a window and you can select an app there and click on the Force Quit button.

2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Secondary Samsung SyncMaster B2430 display, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || USB keyboard, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball, Wacom Pro Large tablet

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Have you tried holding down the shift key when starting Affinity Designer? This should reset all the settings to the default.

And to force quit an app, you can go to the Dock, click and hold the Affinity Designer icon until a menu pops up. It should have an option to Force Quit. Another way is to hold down the command+option key and press ESC. This pops up a window and you can select an app there and click on the Force Quit button.

Thanks Mike for this advice.

AD version 1.6.0

@jackamus

How are you "highlighting" the section you want? Can you be more specific?

​Are you creating a slice and using Export Persona, creating a marquee selection and trying export from there, what?

Are you using the beta or retail version?

I was dragging a marquee to make the selection but I wasn't dragging the selection. I was expecting to be able to save the selection as jpeg. I did manage to do it as a gif to get round the problem. I haven't yet figured out what 'Persona' etc is. As far as I am aware I'm using whatever the default is. I My version of Affinity is retail. I think this is going to be difficult to replicate because I lost some of my drawing and I'm not going to redraw it.

AD version 1.6.0

Thanks for your reply. I'm still unable to replicate the crash when working with marquee selections. Everything seems to be working fine on my system. Currently it isn't possible to save a marquee selection to jpg directly as you're trying to do. The only way to do that is creating a slice using the Export Persona. Check Export Slices video tutorial for more info.

The Persona is the name we give to different "states" of Affinity Designer to perform different types of functions. You can switch between Personas clicking on the first three icons on the top left of Affinity Interface.

The first one is Draw Persona and is mostly used to deal with everything related with vectors/drawing. The second is Pixel Persona and is used to perform operations based on pixels, like marquee selections, painting with raster brushes or performing some local image adjustments like smudge, burning or sharpen part of an image. The third icon is the Export Persona and is mostly used to export parts of your work through slices. You can use them to export single objects, groups, individual layers, independent slices etc.

Note how the icons on the left toolbar change according to the selected Persona. Overall it's basically a way to keep the app organised and intuitive.

The best part of it is that you can use all the three Personas at the same time, that is, mixing vector objects with raster based operations and vice versa while being able to define and export different parts of your work according to your needs using slices. This is one of the things that stands Affinity Designer apart from other solutions.

Hi Meb,

I have attached the Affinity file which crashes every time I select the top left group. When I then re-open Affinity it opens with a previous file that I had closed. I hope this makes sense.

Shed layout.afdesign

AD version 1.6.0

I believe the problem with this file is related with the other we were discussing in this topic. The top left block you are referring to seems the same (or a copy) of the one found in the file on the other thread. I'm still trying to understand what's going on here. Can you please check out the questions i posted in the other thread? Thanks.

Hi,

This problem is because when you go to File -> Export, Affinity is trying to export a JPG which is about 100,000 pixels wide - this is apparently not supported by the JPEG file format, so it crashes :(

I've just fixed the bug for the next beta, but in the mean time, here are a couple of things which will help:

1.) File -> Export doesn't care about your selection - it will always export the whole document. We've had a number of requests to make it obey the selection, and this will come in a future beta.

2.) The Export persona will do what you want (make a slice from the object you want to export) - but the massive size of the document will still cause a problem. I suggest that you lower the "DPI" of your document in File -> Document Setup - then everything should work.

Hope this helps,

AndyS

Hi Andy,

I'm not surprised that my large file size caused a problem. The reason I drew it that size was because there was no facility, as was in DrawPlus, to do a scale drawing so I drew it full size! When I wanted to print off the drawing I cut it up and created a jpeg from the bit I wanted to print.

AD version 1.6.0