You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

first time using Affinity

I used it yesterday and it went perfectly!  Today I used it and now the inpainting brush is not working?

I highlight the part I want to get rid of and it doesn't turn red 

It says it is "inpainting it" but it doesn't actually get rid of it

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

If you don't see the red outline it probably means you have a layer in front of what you're inpainting on, or the mask is hiding the area you're trying to inpaint.

Or the opacity is changed or stuff like that.

Make sure you select the proper layer you're trying to inpaint on and that it is indeed the visible layer (with nothing on top) and that the area you're painting on is not masked out. Never had problems otherwise. (I did once use a mask on a layer I was inpainting on, and indeed the moment I reach an area that is masked out the red outline disappears while painting)

• Staff

Hi Aneesh.V,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you have opened your image using File ▸ Open or do have you dragged it from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to an existing document? If you have dragged it you may be working with an (Image) layer type. You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel. If so, you need to right-click on the layer and select Rasterise from the context menu to convert it to a (Pixel) layer and be able to use the Inpainting Brush Tool.

Hi MEB,

i've been googling my problem and reading the forums but with all the solutions given, i still cant select the inpainting brush..

- I've opened a .jpg file

- layer is selected (only one layer) highlighted blue

- I've right clicked the layer and rasterized it.

Still the inpaint is not in the left side toolbar and greyed out under Edit.

What am I doing wrong?

• Staff

Hi StuGu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To access the Inpainting Brush Tool you have to click the small arrow on the Healing Brush Tool icon to open a popup with additional tools - the Inpainting Brush Tool is included there - see screenshot below.

The Edit ▸ Inpaint command is not exactly the same (although related). You must have a pixel selection active to access it.

post-59-0-78518900-1475653590_thumb.png

• 2 years later...

Hello MEB,

I am replying after asking you a similar question a few days ago. I have since seen online that  others have had the same-or similar--problem. My main critic would be that if the tutorial video had simply mentioned you have to access the Inpainting brush tool by clicking on the Healing brush tool it would have opened various options. Even if you go to Help it does not mention this!! Also, the Layers options is very vague. The list of options offers no real explanation of which Layer you should choose-if at all. For example, if i want to remove background objects i figure-logically-that i should click on background Layer. But what do all the other options mean? Rather frustrating i must say.

I am still having problems too. When I posted a question, I was told to read old answers. I have read everything on the forum about inpainting, watched the videos, bought and read the workbook. I still can't get it to work for more than a few times.  Is there a limit to how much you can inpaint on one picture? It works 5-6 times and then quits.

10 hours ago, MBR said:

I am still having problems too. When I posted a question, I was told to read old answers. I have read everything on the forum about inpainting, watched the videos, bought and read the workbook. I still can't get it to work for more than a few times.  Is there a limit to how much you can inpaint on one picture? It works 5-6 times and then quits.

Exactly.....

It's often difficult to give advice without seeing what's really happening !
It's always helpful to attach the native .afphoto file you're working on + a full screenshot with the layers panel and context toolbar visible.

And as @Alfred mentioned in a previous thread ..
When you post, you can put your system specs in your forum signature. To do this, go to your Account Settings page where you’ll find a ‘Signature’ link.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Here is the sequence of events.

1. I open inpainting_people.jpg from the downloaded Affinity files. 

2. I chose the inpainting brush

3. I use the brush successfully 5 times. On the sixth try it has no red but removes the figure

4. On the next try it stopped working.

5.  I had not saved the .afphoto file before quitting Affinity. When I went back to recreate it, the inpaint brush stopped working after one try.

I have attached the .afphoto file. I have screenshots of each step but can't seem to upload them.

inpainting_people problems.afphoto

Just now, MBR said:

Here is the sequence of events.

1. I open inpainting_people.jpg from the downloaded Affinity files. 

2. I chose the inpainting brush

3. I use the brush successfully 5 times. On the sixth try it has no red but removes the figure

4. On the next try it stopped working.

5.  I had not saved the .afphoto file before quitting Affinity. When I went back to recreate it, the inpaint brush stopped working after one try.

I have attached the .afphoto file. I have screenshots of each step but can't seem to upload them.

inpainting_people problems.afphoto

Add system specs to profile. How do I get them so show?

Works fine here (see specs-signatur).

Just a 20second rough work, deleting all people, with lots of artifacts... but you see... i used my solid impaid-brush , more than 10 times.

Do you use a normal brush without any special flow/opacity... settings? Is their a special mode for the mode for the brush??? like wet edges / multiply.... Is the color solid black...???? 

Normally that should not affect the inpaint-brush.... but who knows???? Maybe thats the reason?

inpainting_people problems.jpg

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

49 minutes ago, MBR said:

Add system specs to profile. How do I get them so show?

Go to Account Settings...

page.thumb.jpeg.5cc77f8937c9e2dbdda34b63da7c9197.jpeg

Edit accordingly.

1072036657_Signaturepage.thumb.jpeg.dc711689e10bebcd066e0ed4c295790c.jpeg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 years later...

One simple thing to miss is if you have some part of the image selected. In that case you will only be able to alter within that selection. It is a simple misstake to make.

After reading through this entire thread without solving the problem I finally saw that I had a very small piece of my image selected with the Flood Select Tool. After unselecting everything the tool started working again. This might be the issue if nothing else seems to work.