You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

+1 plugins would solve things like OFFSET Path which is missing, or Blend Tool, or a Shape Builder etc.. it would be a total game changer, and many more people would switch to Affinity if they would be reassured that any feature which is missing or not planned by the devs can be added via plugins...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly...I am making the decision today to restart my subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. I really, really, really wanted Affinity's trio of apps to fill the void, but there are a couple of plug-ins for Illustrator that are required for me, and there's simply no alternative that I can find. I hate giving Adobe money every month, but being part of a broader ecosystem of developers gives them the edge here.

[angry emoji face]

7 hours ago, TeeBone said:

Sadly...I am making the decision today to restart my subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. I really, really, really wanted Affinity's trio of apps to fill the void, but there are a couple of plug-ins for Illustrator that are required for me, and there's simply no alternative that I can find. I hate giving Adobe money every month, but being part of a broader ecosystem of developers gives them the edge here.

[angry emoji face]

Let me guess; the Astute collection is one of them. For me, FontSelf would be the other (although Glyphs 3 and Affinity Designer plays very well together). I really hope that Serif will open up for a plugin architecture in Designer (and Publisher too). I bet there's a lot of creative programmers that would be interested in developing extensions for the Affinity suite, and we'd all benefit from it. I understand your decision, but like me, you're probably gonna keep doing quite a bit of multitasking between Affinity and Adobe, just to keep that horizon broad and ready for when the time comes that Affinity can handle it all. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If they will let us make plugins for Affinity Designer, someoane will create a plugin that can break text  apart, sell it with 100 Euro and make more money than affinity designer team ..... But it's better to wait another 10 years for Affinity Designer Team to make this, because i think is very very hard to do it.  

let text = `Affinity
Team
Hate Us`
text.split("\n");
let OneRowtext = " Affinity Team Hate Us"
OneRowtext.split(" ");

Not sure I understand this .... is the following (from the Designer Help File inaccurate / misleading  when it says there is support .....

Features of Affinity Designer

Here's an overview of the features of Affinity Designer. Choose a category from the menu below, which includes options to view all features, or only those that are new in this version—marked with a red bullet ().

All featuresNew in this versionPower, performance and compatibilitySolid graphic design toolsPowerful layer managementExternal resource managementProfessional object controlProfessional colour supportVector brushes with stretch and corner controlText and typographyUser interfaceDesign aidsPixel-based designsInteroperabilityDocument control, Import, Export and Printing

Power, performance and compatibility:

• Optimised for:
  • Create massive gigapixel-sized documents
  • 16-bits per channel editing
  • Sub-pixel accuracy
  • 64-bit plug-in support   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Up to date Tablet support
  • Multi-touch support
  • Surface Studio with Surface Pen and Surface Dial support

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

1 hour ago, gw_westdale said:

Not sure I understand this .... is the following (from the Designer Help File inaccurate / misleading  when it says there is support .....

Yes, that looks like a copy/paste error in the Help.

Feel free to report that in the Bugs section.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We have developed some plugins for Adobe products (C++, js CEP and UXP). It would be very great for our users if we could make plugins for Affinity as well.

CEP is very slow. What takes 5s in C++ with take 5mins in CEP. No kidding. UXP is faster than CEP but still slower than C++. Programing plugins in Adobe has a lot pain points. They are improving with UXP. But UXP has still a long way to go before being mature, unless they invest more in it.  And their SDK needs a lot of work that they are not willing to do. Short term profits are more important and they are not challenged. It's a great SDK, but it didn't evolve much in 15 years. There are many things they could do to make it amazing and to facilitate greatly the programing of performant and advanced plugins.

This is a great opportunity for Affinity. Although I don't know the market disposition, it seems from experience that a good number of companies relay more and more on automation internally and custom tools. And we are not even talking about what programmers could unleash for all users if they have the proper tools and ecosystem...

If Affinity could challenge Adobe in this space and offer us a better plugin experience than Adobe and others are, that would be so fantastic. Creatives could benefits from new tools that devs are reluctant to make with Adobe system. And the whole Affinity world will be bolstered. Im so excited just thinking about it!

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to add my +1 for plugin support.

Affinity Photo's support for 8bf plugins has made it exponentially more useful - for example, with the G'MIC plugin alone, I essentially have all of the filters I would ever need without relying on Photoshop. As others have said, I'm sure adding plugin support would snowball the popularity of Affinity Designer (just look at how popular Blender's add-on support is). The sooner it's implemented the sooner people can begin developing plugins for the software - I see it as a win-win for both the developers from a business standpoint (new features without any additional effort from the developers aside from enabling plugin support) and for the community.

• 2 months later...