You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Brian Hermelijn - Visual Design & Illustration Journal

BrianHermelijn

Actually, is a common thing to do. Not only in this forum but in any showcase forum of other applications from other companies. Is a kind of a "gallery thread". Just like if you would go to an art gallery, probably you would have issues if you asked the security guard if you could take home one or several of the pictures for free....hehe. ;)

Anyway, I believe that for learning is much a better route the video tutorials that are in certain thread (or even just do a search in youtube...)

I'm one of those who prefers to learn just by using apps in projects...

He makes a great use of gradients, but the main thing is that he has a solid instinct for composition, color and lighting.  All within a great style. (I mean, the main "wow" factor is unrelated to the software here, actually. He could have done it as well in traditional paintings.)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@Michalangelo_

I actually do not mind making a step by step process of how I go about doing these, most of the time is really abstract, sometimes it comes out right, sometimes it doesn't. But currently I post mainly timelapse on my Youtube Channel, but will be doing like tutorials on how I go about doing these around next month, and also provide at least a couple of them with the affinity design file, so peoples can see what it is about. 

Possibly I will also make an in-depth video of my main inspiration right now for this particular stylistic choice I am exploring. But as @SrPx after continuous practices of composition, notan's, studies etc. you start feeling, what feels right. If you use any software, the fundamentals stays the same, just different tools. 

-

@SrPx

Haven't explored traditional painting yet, but do draw a lot, and lately been exploring with just marker drawing, simple shapes.

@Michalangelo_

and also provide at least a couple of them with the affinity design file, so peoples can see what it is about. 

it would  be useful for the rest of the community.
thanks a lot

I've found also all small examples posted in the forum  in dribbler but I'm unable to find your portfolio/site, the URL of your site?

I do not use a main website solely because I want to show that you do not need a main site to show your work. Rather there are many available platforms nowadays that is free and usable. I post mainly on Behance, Dribbble, couple of times on Instagram, Twitter and some forums, and Artstation.

+1 for the texture.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@SrPx

Thank You!

@jtijd 

Haven't been working on UI stuff for the past 2 weeks now, so that area may indeed be in lack currently. But will get back to it soon, waiting for my mic to start up with another project of simply remaking local websites.

But to be honest, I am not too sure if I want to continue with it. What I want to explore is VR and Motion Design when it comes to UI stuff, and not the 2D static stuff. But shall see really. Gotta start somewhere, right? 

-

Note to self :

Always save the Affinity File every 5 or 10 minutes, or remind myself to do so. Didn't save the last one, so have to remake it again.

I have no idea where these personal projects will go, however the goal is simple :

Be committed to the project you start, and leave a mark each day in any form that you can. Because time is not in our hands, so better to just start something and continue with it, so that peoples can remember that one person in the corner that created something that inspired them to start their own journey. That is what is pushing me right now, each day, to make these illustrations. 

-

So for those that reads this message, if you are not doing anything, why not? Why not now? Time is scarce, so is life. Start making stuff :)

Cheers!

But to be honest, I am not too sure if I want to continue with it. What I want to explore is VR and Motion Design when it comes to UI stuff, and not the 2D static stuff. But shall see really. Gotta start somewhere, right? 

That is correct. I was 'on the roll' with clients for web design, but constant 'lets play with the Fonts a bit, shall we' remarks were taking the toll, I felt I was becoming a zombie. So I went out, bought myself and iPad Pro + pencil and now I make terrible drawings. And I love it.

PS - I also eagerly wait for a.Photo for iPad Pro now  :wub:

That is correct. I was 'on the roll' with clients for web design, but constant 'lets play with the Fonts a bit, shall we' remarks were taking the toll, I felt I was becoming a zombie. So I went out, bought myself and iPad Pro + pencil and now I make terrible drawings. And I love it.

PS - I also eagerly wait for a.Photo for iPad Pro now  :wub:

Dude, I am like trying to save up to get one of those. Hopefully in 2 or 3 more months, ha. Everyone showing their magic with their Ipad Pro, and I am like, come on send me your iPad so I can feel the magic, haha. But yeah, really been enjoying these random abstract explorations. 

That is correct. I was 'on the roll' with clients for web design, but constant 'lets play with the Fonts a bit, shall we' remarks were taking the toll, I felt I was becoming a zombie. 

Been there, done that... In the latest instance/form of it, as a zombie for 7 years in the same cave...

So I switched to freelance illustration.. .but I find myself doing more of the web zombie stuff as well, just is refreshing to change of boss every time you want... ;)  (that the contract allows, of course)

And, certainly, you get  the "I want this part blue" which is WAY more hard to change than a font, lol....

All faithful sons of "I want my logo bigger"... (no sexual pun intended, but really, size is not that important, I used to tell them...)

Dude, I am like trying to save up to get one of those. Hopefully in 2 or 3 more months, ha. Everyone showing their magic with their Ipad Pro, and I am like, come on send me your iPad so I can feel the magic, haha. But yeah, really been enjoying these random abstract explorations. 

I was hyped, too... But nope... Been testing it for almost an hour in a store...is not THAT of a big thing. I can tell you, I'm very experienced in drawing, I make a living of it now...kind of am pretty sure about this statement...

Anyway, you already have ProCreate in iPad. If what you are doing is illustration/comic/painting, you rarely will need anything else... My point is it doesn't matter : Too small screen, and the pen accuracy is NOT that great. A bit weird as I have been defending it with a passion, but just based on a ton of videos in close range that I had seen and a fast physical test. Not enough, one needs to draw with a device in sth serious to get to  know the real status. 

Yet though, for sketching on the go ROCKS big time.

For your serious illustration needs : Any pc in the average range, and a wacom medium (pro or not pro, ideally the Paper edition medium, or a Large), and/or a chinese cinitq alternative in the 19+ range will get you much, much farther in a serious illustration workflow.

And iPad Pro doesn't cut it (in the screen and the system) for serious color managing or professional file handling, speaking of a different side of the matter. Let alone the obvious software packages limitation. I would have managed with all that if the key thing, pen accuracy was really a significant step forward, but is just more or less what latest wacom pens can provide, and the size of 12.9 extremely limited for real work... 

Not saying is not a good fit for some people. But even those, IMO, are in love with the portability and the novelty, and would do even better with a PC and a good drawing device.