You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Brian Hermelijn - Visual Design & Illustration Journal

BrianHermelijn

Hey there zunaoid, sometimes I make the design first in affinity, but for showing the motion/interaction I redo the design in Webflow, and record the screen by using Filmora.

I use Filmora because it allows me to set the frame size I want and also record/save in GIF.

For the image size, when you upload in attachments, post your post, refresh page, click the thumbnail and at the bottom you can see a save text with an icon.

It opens the original size of the image in a new tab, right click the image, copy image url, then edit your post again and click the image upload icon in your post editor, paste it in.

Would love to do a video to show what I mean, but laptop is currently down. Waiting for a part to fix the problem.

Hey there zunaoid, sometimes I make the design first in affinity, but for showing the motion/interaction I redo the design in Webflow, and record the screen by using Filmora.

I use Filmora because it allows me to set the frame size I want and also record/save in GIF.

For the image size, when you upload in attachments, post your post, refresh page, click the thumbnail and at the bottom you can see a save text with an icon.

It opens the original size of the image in a new tab, right click the image, copy image url, then edit your post again and click the image upload icon in your post editor, paste it in.

Would love to do a video to show what I mean, but laptop is currently down. Waiting for a part to fix the problem.

Webflow? Interesting choice. Looks good.

And thank you for explaining i really appreciate.

Follow me: Instagram | Dribbble

Update of what is going on. We purchased the laptop connector which took 2 weeks to get it, but that didn't solve the problem.

And since I don't have any spare parts to troubleshoot the mother board, we just going to send the laptop back to the shop we purchased it from so they can further do the testing.

Wanted to see if I could fix the problem, but can't with no available spare parts for troubleshooting. (IT is originally what I studied + inerned and learned from online sources as well, the down side is that for solo repairing you need spare parts for testing)

So yeah , will be back about 3 to 4 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Alright finally back in action, currently using my dad's laptop which arrived this week, but next week I will receive mine. It seems I will be getting a new one from the company we purchased the laptop, so yeah that's what's going down, now lets get back to business shall we. 

Will start uploading design related stuff later in next week.

Final Design

post-44238-0-52117600-1488997949.png

post-44238-0-52117600-1488997949_thumb.png

---

I am realizing even though Webflow do gets the job done, I want to convey the idea by using mainly motion (After Effects) or tools that allows me to do that, than worrying too much of the functionality of breaking things.  Because when you use tools like Webflow, you still have to play around with using the correct settings (Flexbox,floating, position, jquery etc.) however, when you use tools like After Effects, you can convey the animation or interactive of the idea without having to worry about the extra work.

So in a way, a real interactive way of conveying the idea to the client, but not worrying about the coding aspect. So in my case, I am realizing I am more of the person that wants to show the idea in an interactive manner, without having to worry about finding a jquery code that allows me to go full screen mode on a given design, or finding a jquery code to fill in the missing customized part that I need.

-

Do you ever get the feeling of dissatisfaction with literally everything that you're doing right now in your life? It's as if, you set up a direction to go, but few days in, you’re stoked to do the thing and then everything just becomes bland.

Literally just bland. Like you just don’t feel it, right. For example, I  reflected on what I did for the past 3 months, well in February I couldn’t do anything do of laptop problems, and wrote down the goals, stuff I want to make during that down period… but now I am  back with a brand new laptop and able to do stuff, everything just feels off, you know.

Like I have written down this goal of making $2,000 by joining Web Design Contests (Only this that I feel has potential and provides the right resources I join which I haven’t seen this far) before August and maybe try out T-shirt Design (Haven’t done it yet), try also some illustrative gradient space icons…

But now suddenly today, everything just feels bland, it feel distasteful for the lack of a better word. In this upcoming week I plan on calling a couple of design firms here in Curacao (which there is only a handful of them), to see if I can start working as a Visual Designer.

Because I am simply starting to get tired of also not been able to work, and earn some income, despite I have been exploring options on ways to make some income through the usage of internet which is Selling Design Assets or Contests.

But yeah, everything just feels off and bland, I have no other words to describe it better. Maybe I am just lacking projects to do or simply lack of not exploring new cultures or simply tired of not been able to make some money to go to other places and learn about them, instead of just watching it through this vertical box in front of me…

I just don’t know really. And the lack of not having a community to communicate with, when it comes to thoughts like these is hard as well. Usually you can receive insights from peoples whom also went through the same thing.

I simply am exploring as you can see in this journal. I have no idea what I am doing *chuckle*, maybe it’s just a matter of continue making stuff, and try out some platforms to sell some goods so I can make money, you know.

But have no idea what I want to create when it comes to assets or goods or artwork, like for example I see a @Frankentoon selling his brushes and stuff, and for me, I am asking myself how can I be useful to others or myself? What exactly can I make?

What about artworks? What kind of art can I make? What do I want to say? Is it simply a matter of continue creating and something will start to tick, or something else? Is it simply GRIT?

Oh man this is getting long, but I think sharing our struggles helps another person to know that, hey we are all humans, and most of the time we need peoples as well, unless you don’t want people's nearby you hehe…

That’s what I am struggling with right now. Currently some things that I am doing :

• Experiments of shapes (as you seen the cities)

• Gradient Space icons turned to City Gradients instead

• MovMax (Decided to stop with it, wasn’t satisfied with the process)

• Blender, as you seen a couple of posts. Messing around with it, seeing where the overall industry is going

• Things I want to try : Virtual Reality (which is initially what the build up my PC goal also started for, since I feel it could answer some of my questions of what value do I want to provide to the world)

• And aside from that, simply living in my parents house currently, no job yet, just a student who finished high school as an IT, and learned Design by the usage of internet. Even though I started learning about Design 3 - 4 years ago Thanks to a class mate, I don’t feel I started learning till last year November 2016.

• And also started drawing around 2014 June (was doing it on and off before that), but still have no idea what to do with it as well. You can see my sketchbook here https://forums.cubebrush.co/t/hermidraws-artblog/155/1

So yeah. This is what’s going on in my mind right now, and what I have written down. Really long post, so I applaud you for reading it all the way to here.

Thank You.

Hey, don't give up. Do what you love and challenge yourself to do more and better.

You certainly are on the right track. I wish you all the best!

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2