You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Brian Hermelijn - Visual Design & Illustration Journal

BrianHermelijn

I do stuff every day, in painting... not my 100% of what I'd do personally, as you are doing, but the nice part is I put a bit of my own take in every custom work...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Been there, done that... In the latest instance/form of it, as a zombie for 7 years in the same cave...

So I switched to freelance illustration.. .but I find myself doing more of the web zombie stuff as well, just is refreshing to change of boss every time you want... ;)  (that the contract allows, of course)

And, certainly, you get  the "I want this part blue" which is WAY more hard to change than a font, lol....

All faithful sons of "I want my logo bigger"... (no sexual pun intended, but really, size is not that important, I used to tell them...)

I was hyped, too... But nope... Been testing it for almost an hour in a store...is not THAT of a big thing. I can tell you, I'm very experienced in drawing, I make a living of it now...kind of am pretty sure about this statement...

Anyway, you already have ProCreate in iPad. If what you are doing is illustration/comic/painting, you rarely will need anything else... My point is it doesn't matter : Too small screen, and the pen accuracy is NOT that great. A bit weird as I have been defending it with a passion, but just based on a ton of videos in close range that I had seen and a fast physical test. Not enough, one needs to draw with a device in sth serious to get to  know the real status. 

Yet though, for sketching on the go ROCKS big time.

For your serious illustration needs : Any pc in the average range, and a wacom medium (pro or not pro, ideally the Paper edition medium, or a Large), and/or a chinese cinitq alternative in the 19+ range will get you much, much farther in a serious illustration workflow.

And iPad Pro doesn't cut it (in the screen and the system) for serious color managing or professional file handling, speaking of a different side of the matter. Let alone the obvious software packages limitation. I would have managed with all that if the key thing, pen accuracy was really a significant step forward, but is just more or less what latest wacom pens can provide, and the size of 12.9 extremely limited for real work... 

Not saying is not a good fit for some people. But even those, IMO, are in love with the portability and the novelty, and would do even better with a PC and a good drawing device.

Well even if someone tells me like a tablet or a device is bad, I will still try it out. It was the same for the Huion Tablet I have (Huion H610 Pro) or the Headphones I have bought in the past. A lot of peoples mention the good, the bad of every product, but what feels bad for someone, isn't that much for another person.

Of course I do not have access to try like an iPad Pro 12.9 inch, however from the folks I have seen doing work on it, and the transition between iPad Pro Files > PC, it gets the job done, and it does it well.

Couple of peoples that comes to mind that I seen using iPad Pro :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQ0ySicc9jpUka4n3S2gaA

https://www.youtube.com/user/axis432

https://www.youtube.com/user/zatransis 

https://www.youtube.com/user/nikolailockertsen

But my main focus for the iPad pro is going to be :

- To use it on the go (drawing in nature, quick sketches etc.)

- Start a concept on it, and continue with it on the PC (if I am out in town)

- Full illustration depending how effective it will be to do so on it

At some point in the foreseeable future I will get a drawing monitor (cintiq unless some others gets into the market that is good ) I did look into on-screen monitors like the same brand I am using (Huion) and some other. I am not doubting your knowledge/review by any means, its just that whether there is good/bad feedback, each individual will have a different experience with a given product.

The same way that happened with me to a headphone I bought called Plugged, it just wasn't fit for the weather conditions I live in, which made it hard to use, while it still had a lot of good feedback + bad feedback about the product. If I were in a much more colder environment it would have been a perfect fit. So I just gave it away to a friend of mine, since I knew he needed a headphone, he was going into a colder environment. 

Appreciate your response though. Thank you. 

PS: Unless there is like higher percentage of bad review of a given product, then I would consider multiple times before purchasing. 

And iPad Pro doesn't cut it (in the screen and the system) for serious color managing or professional file handling, speaking of a different side of the matter. Let alone the obvious software packages limitation. I would have managed with all that if the key thing, pen accuracy was really a significant step forward, but is just more or less what latest wacom pens can provide, and the size of 12.9 extremely limited for real work... 

Not saying is not a good fit for some people. But even those, IMO, are in love with the portability and the novelty, and would do even better with a PC and a good drawing device.

Uhm, not speaking about the size here, but about file handling and whatnot:

iPad Pro with Pencil + Astropad Studio + Affinity Photo (designer) = magic

I can literally sit on a couch across the room and still draw in Photo with pen pressure, tilt and other stuff with <20ms lag (can't see it with my eye).

Moreso, I can open zBrush and sculpt with pressure and so on on my iPad. 

And when I am done, I close Astropad and continue to watch cat videos on youtube using my iPP. 

pricing for Cintiq Pro 13 vs iPP 13" + Pencil is virtually the same.

I don't know if in Mac everything is quite different in certain hardware matters, but in my experience in Windows, wireless drawing devices never worked totally snappy for me (I might be very picky in that, I recon that). I only spoke from my experience drawing with it as it is, in the iPad Pro alone. Anyway, as i also mentioned, I believe is an amazing tablet for sketching (and of course, for regular browsing, mail, video watching, etc, it surely rocks. (it has good sRGB support, for example, even if you can't really calibrate it as you would with a hardware calibrator ) )  

Nice data of the lag in milliseconds. I had seen suboptimal  performance videos with astropad, and some ppl complaining.  Some other was fine, though. But I have not tried that workflow and app, indeed.

Your approach, for your usage makes a lot of sense, in any case.

I'd never buy a cintiq 13", though. I had a 12 WX, and enough of that... It was a too crammed environment and drawing surface... Maybe I'm too much of a traditional painter gone digital (some 25 / 27 years ago, lol) that I like large canvases, large monitors.  If anything, for quite less money I'd go for an XP Pen 22" or any flavor of the Yiynova gamma. Lately my golden purchase tho, I consider it to be just the latest intuos pro (paper eidtion or the other).

But anyone has own work flows, habits, etc...

If having already a not really "improvable"  studio, (a gorgeous cintq 27" and a good cpu is already in place) , I then can't see a better addition than an iPad Pro for sketching or light work. 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Sorry, I've hijacked quite this thread...

Your approach, for your usage makes a lot of sense, in any case.

################

But anyone has own work flows, habits, etc...

You know, this rhetoric is a bit of a double edged sword. 

If we all stayed to the old workflows and habits, we would not have a conversation here — we would still use good old PhotoShop. I mean, it literally (still) is the industry standard with a lot of brushes and plugins, ye? But here we are

:rolleyes:

Actually, I was not referring to that. Specially as I try literally [ that's why despite knowing that 13 inches is too small for a screen for my graphic needs, I spent almost an hour drawing with the iPad (the Mac guy in the store was super kind) ]  every new thing and approach I can access to.  IE, I'd be just sticking as well to modeling with 3DS Max, after all is the easy path for me, I not only learnt that in a master, I worked at 4 companies were its use absolutely essential to bring the plate of food. Yet though I went the hardest way -imo, by then- and learnt Blender till fully replaced my workflow with it. And PS workflow is often criticized ...by people who was never able to really master it. As otherwise would know how extremely versatil it can be, even with its disadvantages.  I can be one of the guys around that has used more varied set of software tools in 2D and 3D, and have used almost any brand of drawing device sold in the market since the Kurta in 1991...

I don't let pass a day without trying a different technique that helps me speeding up as I have no shortage of gigs, but of time ! So, that matter is indeed absolutely vital to me.  So, I said that knowing the deals...

Probably you understood not very accurately what i was referring to with workflows. I was thinking in what each one needs for the actual task to be done, deeply independently from whatever the software. Is very different to draw a comic line art (you need really a non jittering device, probably some stabilizer), than do its coloring, than do digital painting illustration (where the issues from firm line are not so critical and the versatility of the software application is more crucial) , sculpting (again, it IS different), or retouching. You will hear, or I did, from a bunch of very pro photo retouchers (people working for some high end magazine/company)  how they discard any tablet size bigger than small! Simply, their retouch action works better if they reduce movement to the wrist, while a traditional painter, or charcoal illustrator painting in a canvas will normally prefer the movement  of the arms as, ironically, can be more precise, and for large surfaces, faster. These all are different, by all means, workflows. And to that i was referring, not to sticking to Photoshop or Wacom. So, my point was, that for some people, some loosing of response due to wireless device comunication might be critical. Some others, wont ever notice that. And that's to be expected as every type of task is different. A great example of this -if any of you has played Quake (1,2,3) when being younger-  is how quake players would prefer in its day a mechanical ball based mouse over an optical, and definitely most would laugh if heard some new player asking in the middle of the match if a wireless mouse could do... While it would never matter for playing Sims or Age of Empires... Is the task, where I emphasize the workflow makes a difference, not the software which determines it. In co mpanies I have been forced to use almost everything that has been invented, so, probably one of those persons you cannot expect to have resistance to try sth new to see if it works better, lol...

And trying for a second time, more "seriously" than the first,  iPad Pro + Pencil, having quite higher hopes for its specs, videos, advice from colleagues, etc, etc... So is not that I was against it... if anything, biased in favor of it... I wanted it to be great ! I was totally heading to purchase it !   :)

I made all sort of critical tests... And I ended pretty convinced : Is not much better  than a wacom of the past generation or even Intuos 4 (my XL) , and even if slightly better, the advantage is lost with the accuracy lost when dealing with a  smaller drawing area. Not to mention that Wacom has improved greatly the new pens and tablet technology. I would LOVE it to be different, as I don't believe in monopolies, is bad for us artists... but had to surrender to the evidence.

Also, with workflows I also was trying to refer to habit connected to how each one's brain iterate with creation, how you even grab the pencil, what is you artistci process (ie: some people start with a detailed drawing and do their digital painting over it, some would paint a full finish-level greyscale painting and color on top of that; some would do a more alla prima style, laying strokes in an impressionist style, building shapes by sculpting planes of wide brush strokes (blocking shapes, they call it) These are totally software independent. They are artistic workflows. I even don't always use  the same ones ! But even so, for the mass of work, and speed's sake, in professional work you end up trusting in a workflow and system that works, even if moths later you move to re-invent it and use a cleverer approach.  But sticking to a dominating a system, is not necessarily a bad thing, all the opposite : Can be what lets you keep at it in the professional field. As after all you need to consolidate workflows (1 or 100) , convert them to solid system that output quality and fast. (again, at least if working in this for a living) . I have seen certain pair of guys that do stick to Photoshop. And heck, are they magic with it. That's what counts. Like Harold foster (Price Valliant comic penciller, inker and colorist), it is said that it was like magic seen him ink at light speed very complex drawings, with absolute perfection. You do not have to focus so much in novelty and innovation as in the maximum efficiency and control (even while for that you need to constantly research methods and applications). I can tell you he did stick to a workflow, and just perfected it to crazy levels of excellence.  So much I am interested in innovation, that I though no device has reached our hands accuracy and perfection. So, I know that moment is still to come, as I know we could be drawing much better, in better conditions, and we arent.  This is why I did dig a crazy lot about iPad Pro + Pencil for months.

industry standard with a lot of brushes and plugins, ye? But here we are

hehe, c'mon... most people (even those wanting to convince themselves that this is not the main reason) is here due to the excellent price and to avoid subscription like a plague.   ;)

Brian,

The super simple stylized skylines w. target like icons are interesting. They are enigmatic and suggestive. What are you working on? A story that hasn't been written yet?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Brian,

The super simple stylized skylines w. target like icons are interesting. They are enigmatic and suggestive. What are you working on? A story that hasn't been written yet?

These are you could say, abstract exploration and finding composition/arrangement that feels good for me. And also, to just make something each day.

trying blur effects ?

I gotta say, if you're posting these as you finish them, you're not only good, but incredibly speedy. I wish I could work at half the clip you do.

Yeah I usually have a time-frame in mind when completing these, which is no more then 1 hour. Some peoples set a time limit of 17 minutes like STUDIO-JQ recent poster design project (Made You Look). Why the time limit, to eliminate paradox of choice, and just get the job the done. Granted these are all abstract stuff most of the time, so I just load up the canvas and put shapes on it till I start seeing a scene on the canvas. 

A nice time restraint would probably do me a world of good. After an hour, I'd have, at most, the basic wireframe up. I can spend endless amounts of time futzing around with the size, proportion, shape, and scale before even committing on the actual brunt of the work. And even there, once I'm past the initial setup, I can iterate through 5-10 different versions of the same idea before I settle on one I like.

By my standards, if I can get something done in less than 5 days, I'm thrilled with myself. :P

A nice time restraint would probably do me a world of good. After an hour, I'd have, at most, the basic wireframe up. I can spend endless amounts of time futzing around with the size, proportion, shape, and scale before even committing on the actual brunt of the work. And even there, once I'm past the initial setup, I can iterate through 5-10 different versions of the same idea before I settle on one I like.

By my standards, if I can get something done in less than 5 days, I'm thrilled with myself. :P

for full time freelancing, that'd be the way of the Dodo... ;) ...for a passion / hobby, that pace could be even fast...With a mix of equal satisfaction and concern, I could say am sort of in the former group... Some projects tho, or even a stage in a project can take weeks...My major time hole is client revisions, tho... worst ones are just changes of heart...but hey, we're all human.