You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why do live filters not have split\mirror previews

I notice that there are 2 ways to apply filters. The first via the filter menu and the second via the layers->live filter option. The live filters is a nice idea but there's no way to preview and compare the changes using split\mirror view like you can by applying it via the filters menu.

I find the split view incredibly useful when i'm initially applying the filter but then I find the the option of having a live filter useful later on when I can come back and adjust. It's a shame that split view isn't available with the live filter option and you're forced to miss out on one or the other. Could split\mirror options be added to the live filters?

At the moment I have to use the filter menu to apply the filter using split\mirror view, then record the settings, delete the filter and then apply the same filter via the live filter using the setting I recorded earlier. I obviously don't want to keep applying filters twice so can this be improved in any way?

It begs the question why can you apply the same filters in two different ways like this? If the comparing option could be added to the live filters why would you ever apply a filter using the filter menu?

I know my method of applying filters twice isn't ideal so what are other people doing? Using live filters (and missing out on the compare tools) or using standard filters (and missing out on the live aspect)?

Does anyone know if the plan is to eventually get rid of the "normal" method of applying filters and just leave the live version? If the compare option was added to the live filters is there any advantage to using the normal filters?

• Staff

Hi reck,

The live filters were introduced later in the development after the destructive filters which were available since the beginning. Since not all destructive filters are available as live filters we kept both options available. If you need to check how the live filters affect the image you can turn them on/off using the Layers panel. If you think split\mirror previews are useful even in live filters feel free to add this to the Feature Requests section for consideration.

Ah ok. So is this a work in progress then, will all the filters eventually be available in their "live" form? I just feel it's a bit messy at the moment having filters in different places, some available in live form, some not. Having compare feature available if you apply it one way but not if you apply it another.

I definitely think the split view previews are useful when applying filters, I would have thought a lot of users would like to see how changing the filter values affects the image. I have been turning the layers off as you suggested but it doesn't really compare to having the split view option as you don't get live feedback as you're making the changes like you do using the non-live filters version.

I didn't initially add this to the feature request section because it feels like they (the devs) are moving from one filter system to another and it's only half done at the moment so we're in a sort of half-way-house. Having split-view when applying a filter (live or not) seems like an obvious omission but if they are just looking to see if people want split view rather than it being down to a design decision then I will add it to the feature request section.

Thanks for your post meb