toyotadesigner

AP 1.5.1 (export folder)

AP 1.5.1 still does NOT memorize the originating folder if I want to export a JPEG from a TIFF to the same folder as the original.

AP 1.5.1 still does NOT memorize the grid settings.

What do you think might be a good guess to see these features implemented?

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

Hey toyotadesigner,

Are you referring to this thread regarding the export folders? As it isn't technically a bug but more of a feature request the only thing we can do is wait for development to consider it for their roadmap. 

Can I ask if you would expect the app to remember the original folder in the export dialog even if you may not have not been in that folder for quite some time? So whenever you open an image, even after say, a year, the app would assume you want to export it to the same place even if the last place you exported something was in another location? I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

As for grid settings, I assume you mean every new document you make would use the same grid as the previous one? I can see how that would be helpful but wouldn't it be a pain as well? It would have to be a Preferences option or something.

Hi Chris,

yes, that's the thread.

Scenario: Today I open a TIFF image in the folder 'November_2016'. I work on the image and want to export it. I expect the program to remember the folder from where I opened the TIFF, not the folder from 2 weeks ago to which I exported a JPEG.

Tomorrow I open a TIFF image in the folder 'March_2012', and I want the program to remember the folder March_2012 when I export the final image.

That's the way how other programs do it, even when opening a file from an external HD and saving as ... to the same folder and external HD.

Something else that could make life easier: If I just save the image I would like to see it being saved in the original format and bit depth including the color profile it had when opening it - and not in the Affinity format. It's quirky to export an image in the same format to the same folder, just because i.e. I have retouched a bird in an architecture image... I always step into the trap and search my images, because XN View can't read the Affinity format. I have to go the finder and look for the saved image. Working with digitized large format images on a not so new Mac needs too much time with the complicated export options. Try to keep the process simple as others do (i.e. PhotoLine).

Grid settings: Exactly. I want i.e. set up a grid with a major line every 100 pixels and 10 subdivisions, and I want to make this setting to be sticky for any image I will open in the future. For an architecture photographer this setting would be a great help. By the way, being able to define the grid color and line size (down to 1 pixel) would be the icing on the cake.

An option in the Preferences pane would be fantastic.

Thank you very much for taking care of these points.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

It seems to be using the last folder you visited and it is the same on Windows. I'll see if we can put an improvement in but I'm sure on Windows it uses the registry. I assume the Mac does something similar. I've just tested it in Photoshop and it does remember so this could be a nice improvement.

I'll pass the other comments over too. I can definitely see the benefit of the app remembering the grid system for the type of work you described.

Thanks for your time :)

It seems to be using the last folder you visited and it is the same on Windows. I'll see if we can put an improvement in but I'm sure on Windows it uses the registry.

It does, but there's no need to mess with it. In .NET you just set the InitialDirectory of the FileDialog to the current document's folder name prior to invoking the Save As dialog.

The same should be done to the Save As command: it should always use the document path, not the last opened folder.

Any news on this topic?

Not yet I'm afraid. Improvements tend to hold a lower priority over bug fixes. It may be some time before development look into adding improvements. 

I appreciate that this can slow down your workflow but there are still a number of crashes and other serious issues that still aren't resolved which I imagine the team would focus on first. I've bumped the report I logged with development but this is up to them to determine what priority this will take. 

I appreciate that this can slow down your workflow

It's quite annoying. This bug is also responsible for new versions of documents being saved in the wrong place. Programs are expected to memorize the last folders used separately, and Windows does that itself. However it seems that Affinity keeps an internal record that overrides whatever folder you have used so it keeps forcing each and every OpenDialog to point to the same path.

but there are still a number of crashes and other serious issues that still aren't resolved which I imagine the team would focus on first.

Agreed, lots and lots of very serious issues. I hope they move quickly now as some of these bugs are quite old and may hurt the image of an otherwise great product.

I've bumped the report I logged with development but this is up to them to determine what priority this will take. 

It's a trivial fix, should be done quickly. Please keep us posted.

Thanks