You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import PSD files with clipping path

I tried to import a PSD file with clipping path.

Unfortunately there is no "path" function in Affinity Photo.

How can this be done with Affinity Photo? (without opening the files first in Adobe Photoshop)

If not, when can we expect this feature?

(My workflow: several thousand PSD files with clipping path -> some retouching with photosoftware e.g. Affinity Photo -> placing in Indesign documents, e.g. for brochures)

Hi MEB

Thank you for your fast reply.

It's a pity that this is not possible without Photoshop. Because if I have to use Photoshop for this, then I can stay using Photoshop.

My idea was to move from Photoshop to Affinity Photo.

I think the workflow with clipping paths is very common for publishers of brochures, flyers, catalogs...

So when can we expect this feature in Affinity Photo?

• Staff

Hi silvioch,

Yes, it's a common workflow and more and more users have been requesting it.

I've filled a request improvement for this some time ago but it's up to the dev team to decide if/when implement it, so there's no eta but i believe we will end up supporting it.

Just give the dev teams some time  ;)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi silvioch,

You can do it already. Draw you shape (clipping path) as usual with the Pen Tool, then drag the image layer (or whatever you want to clip) over the shape layer (not its thumbnail but over the area on the right) in the Layers panel. Export to PSD. The path will be there (and in the Paths panel) when you open the file in Photoshop.

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this I understand correctly, but I just saved a sample file in PS with a Vector Mask and in Affinity the Vector Mask comes as a "Compound" layer which you can use the node tool to modify the vector shape.

Path.jpg.caba922a41f49b8a404c16a50abd5a9a.jpg

Cheers,
Juan

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/12/2016 at 7:53 PM, silvioch said:

ening the

As far as I can see it this is the only missing feature which holds our department back from switching from photoshop cc to affinity photo since it is an essential topic here.

I always thought that clipping paths are essential in photo retouching - correct me please if I'm wrong.

So, is there an update or estimation to this? Thanks in advance.