You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First Exercise on Designer, Work In Progress

TonyO

Wish me luck.

Going to force myself to start some better habits...

...like using layers

...or not plotting all my points first, and bending afterward (ya know, proper pen tool usage)

...or not relying on deleting nodes to form cleaner shapes 

If you guys watched the way I currently work with vectors, you would probably all think I'm insane.

Anyway, this is what I'm starting with. I'll post updates as i go, might take a few days because time is harder to come by than Astatine lately... 

Anyway, here goes!

post-82-0-85307000-1405686556_thumb.png

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Got an onion and half a pickle drawn so far... oh time, where art thou?

Anyway. So far so good. The app is very easy and enjoyable to use so far! I've actually found minimal need for my "auto-correcting curves on node deletion" request that started some heated discussion a few days back, haha, which is good since it's a habit i needed to kick anyway. (though if its planned for a future update, i wouldn't complain, wink* wink*)

If you haven't noticed, i draw in a very weird way. I do not use any outlines in the conventional sense, every "line" on my drawing is an individually drawn shape. Yes, this is time consuming, but it adds to the illustrative quality of my pieces and gives them a unique look. This drawing style makes for some really weird needs that end up to be pretty foreign to most designers, even my colleagues at my full time job think I'm crazy... But Designer is proving to be one hell of a program that is setup just right to cater to my style.

But anyway...

I did run into a slightly distracting bug involving the Magic Mouse, which I detailed in the bug section. But other than that, everything is running smooth as silk. I'll come back with more toppings in a day or so. Trying to allot time every night to illustrate... but with the family, buying a new house and a full time job, time is hard to come by! Anyway, let me know what you think.

post-82-0-38138600-1406085603_thumb.png

• Staff

It's looking great Capeman, nice shading :)

Regarding the lines, i'm not sure if you are already aware but Affinity Designer has some great pressure options for solid lines. It can give some expressiveness to them while keeping the lines editable just by creating a pressure profile (see attached screenshot).

Looking forward for more!

post-59-0-95739600-1406127173_thumb.png

That is pretty cool! I should give it a try.

The only reason i may still be hesitant is that the stock sites that i use require very specific EPS standards, including no actual outlines. All line must be curved objects, so i would need to go through my finished drawing and convert all of the outlines to solid objects before submitting... all in all, it may end up being the same amount of work.

Added relish and some tomato. 

So far there are only 2 things in affinity that are slowing me down.

1. The node deletion shape retention "non-bug-more-of-a-feature-request" that i posted about HERE

Reason being is that with my gestural, un-precise style, i still like to use the automatic shape retention as a way to clean up a troublesome line. The way i draw, having never like the corel pen tool, was to use the point plotting tool (basically the pen tool with no curve function), add all my nodes along my pencil lines, then curve everything and bend all the straight lines to shape. When i would encounter a strange point, or a line that just didn't look right, i could add a couple nodes to the line, delete the ugly point and have everything kind of jump into place. Of course this is not best practice for precise drawing, but it works great for gestural work like mine. I remember MattP saying this would be a good candidate for a modifier (or a selectable default action)... wink wink, nudge nudge. LOL  

For non complicated drawings this isn't hurting me much, but this hot dog design being intensive on lines (remembering that every line in my drawings are individually drawn shapes, a time consuming stylistic choice) this is showing to be something i almost need.

2. The color picking with left/right click HERE - the illustrator style method in place just confuses me haha

Other than that, this program is fantastic, I've been using it at work to do logo design and shape drawing for my projects, instead of my Corel virtual machine, and it's amazing so far!

post-82-0-69033400-1406894566_thumb.png

• Staff

That's great! :) You know, I'd go so far as to say that I relish seeing your updates! (please, somebody save me from my awful puns!)

It's great to hear that you're still enjoying things, Tony :) I'll obviously get to looking at the whole 'node-deletion keeping the curve shape' thing when I get chance - I'm juggling an awful lot of balls in the air at the moment (don't want to get myself in a pickle - oh, save me!!!)

We've added a quick toggle between fill/line colour context as an attempt to help you more easily set these colours - just try pressing 'x' to toggle from one to the other. Does that help at all? :)

Cheers,

Matt

Ahhhh i see how it works. This still trips me up since the problem i have is skipping the whole "select outline or fill first" step and jumping right to clicking on a color. 

Maybe a fix would be to have the default as is, but allow for us to turn on "left click fill/ right click outline" as a default behavior in the preferences. When this is activated, the outline/fill indicator which is selectable and layered, could instead look like the attached mockup. Since its not layered, it wouldn't need to be clickable, and it would lower confusion making it not clickable while this behavior is active.

Made a mockup of how this could work, as well as how to select your mode. Obviously I'm no UI designer. But this would work great in the Wheel and Box views on the selector options, as well as swatches. The only place i could see this not working is on color sliders, but that way could default to the way it works now.

post-82-0-47810600-1406916582_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi TonyO, 

fantastic sketch. This is tutorial material. The greyed-out sketch, would be very useful for newbies to hone their skills on.

I like your colour ring mockup, works for me!

MattP: don't PUNish yourself over the bad jokes; some of us actually enjoy them.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 4 months later...