Before a RAW is developed, I get one histogram displayed. After developing it, I get a totally different histogram displayed. Can this really be true?

Hi papax

Welcome to the forums

This is because the raw development stage is done in unbounded 32bit colour, whilst clicking develop then converts it into 16bit colour. This is what is causing the change in the histogram between the two personas

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Kinda still the same. One shows the histogram of your raw data and one shows the histogram of the developed picture. Can it be like this? (Guessing here, no clue)./

If I adjust the 'apply tone curve' checkbox I actually see the histogram changing so that can't be it. (nvm, got that wrong)

I have got the same problem on my win 10 laptop. When in Develop Persona, histogram display is not correct as the graph is heavily placed to the left suggesting very dark image with clipped blacks which is not true. However, after clicking on Develop button which switches to Photo Persona the Histogram looks completely different.

This makes the Histogram in Develop Persona completely unusable.

Hi papax

Welcome to the forums

This is because the raw development stage is done in unbounded 32bit colour, whilst clicking develop then converts it into 16bit colour. This is what is causing the change in the histogram between the two personas

Cheers

Regarding this replay. I am now confused. Is this completely different and  moved to the left histogram in develop persona considered a normal behavior/feature or a BUG.

If it is considered to be a BUG, are there any plans for fixing it ? I relay heavily on histogram when developing from raw, and this BUG makes histogram in develop persona hardly usable.

Is there some work around maybe?

Rerads,

Igor

Hi Igor

This has been logged as a bug. We've found that the appearance of the histogram can also be affected by the type of sensor used in the raw data. Some sensors such as the fuji ones can cause it to bunch all the way to the left whilst some don't. It is on the list of things to fix

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Indeed I find the RAW histogram in current AP Develop 1.5.1.54 (Windows) hard to use with my Panasonic G81 raw images. I constantly get unexpected results with the sliders affecting the histogram and with the RGB tone curve as a result of being mislead by the histogram ...

Here is a comparison of the same RAW file histogram before / after develoing and as viewed by Faststone Image viewer (white one).

post-58409-0-22650700-1493980145_thumb.jpg post-58409-0-12737000-1493980150_thumb.jpg post-58409-0-42669500-1493980155_thumb.jpg

'Chris_K' wrote:

> Some sensors such as the fuji ones can cause it to bunch all the way to the left whilst some don't.

I checked RAW images from three different cameras manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic), and the problem is the same for all of them. All show the histogram compressed towards the shadows in Develop.

P.S. Some other note was that the difference might be because of 32 vs. 16 bit processing, but in my theoretical understanding the resolution of a histogram must not influence its shape. I believe the histogram in Develop should 100% reflect the histogram after development of the image (which in turn must be equal to the one after export to 8 bit PNG or TIFF.) Anything else doesn't help me to judge the brightness distribution of the final image I want to achieve.

post-58409-0-22650700-1493980145_thumb.jpg

post-58409-0-12737000-1493980150_thumb.jpg

post-58409-0-42669500-1493980155_thumb.jpg

This is the one major issue that prevents me from purchasing Affinity Photo at its current state as I'm not going to process raw files with what I consider false histogram feedback. I'll watch this topic to see when it is time to do another test and likely the purchase.

I spent hours searching for a solution. Unfortunately without success, because the bug persists, even in the last beta. I have a Panasonic FZ1000. It's a pity, so the Develop Persona is almost useless. Why is not that finally fixed? It is a prerequisite for photo RAW development. I think,this is a really big bug.

First, thank you for your quick response. Nevertheless, I think like a user above, the histogram in RAW development shows the values after development in JPEG. I think a histogram is meaningless if it does not display the values of the later jpeg.But I try your link first to read and understand, maybe I think wrong. But if I develop a raw example in darktable, then I see there in the histogram everything as later in the jpeg. Why is that different there?

ok i understand you and think that's true what you say., ..... but why do you think it will not be fixed? Would that be such a big thing?

Hi all,

Exactly the same problem here!

Incorrect histogram ..."on the left", with or without assistant enabled.

Monitor and software are correctly calibrated (Spyder pro)

Checked with other software Olympus viewer, XnviewMP, Fastone and many RAW files (.orf)

Also for me, RAW Develop persona, is not very useful and not even reliable, as it is!

I hope You guys resolve this as soon as possible. For now I'm using Olympus viewer3, is slow, but it works.

Best regards.