soulburn

Imported abr files have incorrect jitter settings

6 posts in this topic

So I've taken some of my photoshop brush abr files and imported them into affinity. In Affinity, I'll look at a brush that say has size jitter, and the size isn't jittering. If I go into the brush settings, I'll see that it has a size jitter of 50%, but the dropdown beside size jitter is set to "none", when it should be set to "random". Set it to random and now the brush behaves the same way as photoshop. Looks like the abr importer isn't always properly importing the "random" value from photoshop. Can you confirm this?

- Neil

So I've taken some of my photoshop brush abr files and imported them into affinity. In Affinity, I'll look at a brush that say has size jitter, and the size isn't jittering. If I go into the brush settings, I'll see that it has a size jitter of 50%, but the dropdown beside size jitter is set to "none", when it should be set to "random". Set it to random and now the brush behaves the same way as photoshop. Looks like the abr importer isn't always properly importing the "random" value from photoshop. Can you confirm this?

- Neil

I can confirm it is this way since its very first implementation.

Affinity imports the raster data of ABR brush tips, then you have to change Jitters manually.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi Neil,

This does appear to be importing correctly for me. In Photoshop the Size Jitter is 46% and the Control is set to Pen Pressure, when imported into Affinity the Size Jitter is also 46% and the control is set to Pressure. If you're painting with a mouse then there will be no pressure variance. The issue I believe you are seeing is caused by the Rotation (Angle in PS) Jitter. In PS when a brush has Angle Jitter and the Control is set to Off it still applies the Jitter. When Affinity imports the brush it sets the Control to be None (based on PS's Off) and we treat this as Off!

The Adobe help states:

You work with two components when adding dynamics elements to a brush:
  • Jitter percentages specify the randomness of dynamic elements. At 0%, an element does not change over the course of a stroke; at 100%, an element has the maximum amount of randomness.
  • Options in the Control pop‑up menus specify how you want to control the variance of dynamic elements. You can choose not to control the variance of an element, to fade an element over the specified number of steps, or to vary an element based on pen pressure, pen tilt, position of the pen thumbwheel, or pen rotation.

So by this definition it sounds as though we should set the behaviour of PS's Off to Random on import. I'll get it reported to development.

Rotation Jitter:

>> So by this definition it sounds as though we should set the behaviour of PS's Off to Random on import. I'll get it

>> reported to development.

It may be a bit more complex, it should probably be set to random only if the Angle jitter is a none zero value. But thanks for passing it along.

Size Jitter:

That's an odd one. So looks like in photoshop, if you set it to Pen Pressure, but use the mouse, it will use "random" as default. Would it make sense to set something up similar in Affinity where stuff like Size jitter, angle jitter, etc defaults to random if you're using the mouse, even though the affinity interface will say "Pen Pressure" and will react that way if you're using a pen?

- Neil