You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I'm a new user to Affinity Designer and have been trying it out. In general I find the 1.5 update to be most interesting, especially with the addition of features like Symbols.

I found a problem while exporting that I'm not sure if it should be considered a bug or not.

I tried to pixelate a text, and make an artwork out of it. However on export, it becomes intensively smoothened out and blurry, in all resampling modes except Nearest Neighbour. Please open the images to a see their full resolution.

Nearest Neighbour:

post-44857-0-53663900-1481494217_thumb.jpg

Bilinear:

post-44857-0-66092200-1481494244_thumb.jpg

I could export it with Nearest Neighbour, but that means all my other artwork in the image wouldn't get properly antialiased.

After a lot of trial and error, I figured it's a problem with transparency, and indeed if I group it with a white background and then rasterise it, I get the expected result.

However that workaround is limited, since many times I do want it to be transparent.

For case-control I tried the same thing in Illustrator, and indeed the export has no problems replicating what I see in the software, while being transparent:

post-44857-0-66092800-1481494508_thumb.jpg

So in the end, I would guess this extreme blurring is not natural. It's either a user error (please feel free to educate me on it), or it's a bug / something to be improved in the future?

P.S.

It's worth noting that illustrator has a number of helpful options when rasterising, that I expected to have control over in Designer as well. Such as the dpi to be rasterised in, the resampling method (Tinted for Typography can be useful in such cases) etc. I know Designer is still young, so consider it a feature request :)