You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Roll Brush (Deform The Brush Along The Stroke Curve)

Would love a Roll brush in affinity photo, which is a brush where your custom brush shape is deformed along the stroke curve. Here's a video of the Zbrush "Roll Brush"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY2_EPG-zWY

This is similar to the "Angle Jitter -> Direction", except this feature only rotates the custom brush along the stroke direction. The Roll brush actually deforms the stamp in that direction. This would let you create stuff like stitches on clothing, tentacles, texture on a tree branch, wires, all sort of things that are currently not possible.

wishlist_roll_brush1.jpg

- Neil

That looks like a 3D modelling application.  Are you sure that would work in a 2D vector design app?

Yes, All it does is stretch the image. In the image above, it's using the stretched image to make a bump map, but it doesn't need to be used for that, it can easily just be used to make a 2d paint stroke. Think of a combination between a paint brush and the liquify tool.

- Neil

Yes, All it does is stretch the image. In the image above, it's using the stretched image to make a bump map, but it doesn't need to be used for that, it can easily just be used to make a 2d paint stroke. Think of a combination between a paint brush and the liquify tool.

- Neil

That sounds really interesting!  I think the Affinity staff should definitely look into it.

@soulburn In what way is this different from the sort of image stretching that Affinity Designer already does along a path?

In the Brushes Studio choose Image from the dropdown.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@soulburn In what way is this different from the sort of image stretching that Affinity Designer already does along a path?

because it stretches your image WHILE you are drawing the stroke, which allows for instant feedback. Stretching an image along a path has its uses too, if you have a situation where its something more machine like, but that technique is more like a careful construction project, this tool would be far more interactive and better for organic painting. Like if I'm doing 200 tree branches, I'd hate to carefully setup 200 paths first, instead I want to paint the paths and have the bark grow along my stroke as I go so I can instantly evaluate if I'm achieving the effect I want.

- Neil

because it stretches your image WHILE you are drawing the stroke, which allows for instant feedback. Stretching an image along a path has its uses too, if you have a situation where its something more machine like, but that technique is more like a careful construction project, this tool would be far more interactive and better for organic painting. Like if I'm doing 200 tree branches, I'd hate to carefully setup 200 paths first, instead I want to paint the paths and have the bark grow along my stroke as I go so I can instantly evaluate if I'm achieving the effect I want.

- Neil

What you're asking is a mapped stroke.

Basically it is how Designer works and does it "live"...  :)

This is a sort of bramble I'm currently using for an illustration

I'd love to see raster mapped strokes in AP too.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers