You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[DAM/Other] Affinity NLE Video Editor

Yesterday I searched for lightweight video editor some NLE with good slideshow capability and nice video transition, effect, color grading etc. And I have found none that can replace Adobe solutions. So i have feature request to add basic video and slide show support to Affinity Photo similar in features to PS or Lightroom.

Or even better I will be super happy if Affinity will come with Premiere or After Effect equivalent. 

When I read the title, I assumed you would only be asking for a video editing application, but then I read your description. I second this as long as it doesn't get too wild with the video editing portion, and only used for enhancement. Maybe allow an option to import video clips, and enhance them with the Develop and Tone Mapping personas. The sliders would work, but using the actual tools would cause difficulty.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Absolutely. If they do, I would love them to have a keyframe feature for animating motion like panning, zooming, rotating, scaling, fading, and positioning.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, come on guys, we are all looking for a serious Adobe competitor! But serif is already struggeling big time in getting the current applications up to a standard that bareley can be called professional. I do understand this illusionary wish for a video App, but be reasonable: first things first! Majority of people want AP getting to work. And there's a huge list of bug reports and required features. Let them sort out the basics first before asking for the "I want it all" soloution (in German that's an "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" aka "egg-laying, milk-bearing woolly sow""). It may be understandable to ask for it - but it's not sensible at all! Serif is not Adobe ... to reach a certain reputation as a professional SW provider on an Adobe level they first need to prove they can get to their standards ... distracting them further from professionalising the current software will not improve their reputation! And from the rumors they are alredy working on other (essential) SW products that already drag away development ressources from their main products (InDesign/Lightroom/DAM clones). The much I love the thought of theses products comming up - the much I scare the thought that they are lacking ressources for improvements in the already introduced products still in beta condition!

Just my 2 cents
Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Despite I'd love to see an AE alternative coming from Serif, we have to be realistic. I kind of agree with DarkClown here regarding what we can expect.

Don't get me wrong, I think Serif is doing a terrific job with Photo and Designer. Bugs have to be expected, but the status of both apps is already great. If they keep improving them as they are doing, they both are going to be killer apps.

That said, an AE alternative is a tough one for a few reasons.

• The habits of AE users are hard to beat, perhaps even more than PS users
  • AE's interface and workflow, after all these years, are set in stone: for someone who works in the motion graphics industry is very hard to move to a different application (Hitfilm tried already and I think with no much luck)
  • If a Photoshop alternative may sound reasonable, an AE alternative is less

Let me expand on the last point.

When it comes to rendering a still image, to a certain extent is not so crucial what program has been used. After all, worst case scenario as long as the layers are readable from both sides, everything is fine.

For a motion graphics piece is different. Studios, from small to big, have invested in their pipelines, plugins, scripts, and so on. Now, sharing some still renders is one thing, working on an animated project involves more steps.

I don't see a studio embracing an alternative considered that, from that point on, they will feel like a drop in the ocean.

Chances that someone, from the casual user who wants to mess around with some pictures, to a professional who wants to try something different or who is tired of the Adobe monopoly, will end up using Photo or Designer are definitely good. Working with bitmaps and vectors it's sort of a closed loop, worst case scenario an EPS will do.

On the other hand, I don't see a casual user investing time in learning a complex application for motion graphics (and I'm already reading posts from frustrated users considering AP too complex!). Professionals? Why should they? What the benefits? The market has already its parading. Why should someone learn an unknown program, with an unknown future when there's next to zero chances to share the work with any other professionals out there? Even if figuring out a partial communication with AE via an XML or something (I'm not a dev, just guessing), I hardly see a serious, robust way to go back & forth with AE.

It's been a nightmare for years for 3d users, and only now we can finally share files via Alembic and OpenVDB (and is not 100% there yet).

Last but not least, there are free or quasi-free solutions on the market already: Fusion (wich comes with a free version) and Nuke (with a non-commercial version). Considered how the industry pushed the limits, it also makes sense to invest time and energy in learning, say, Nuke rather than an unknown AE-alternative. Plus, Nuke and Fusion means competing not only with a 20 years old corporation like Adobe but also with two other well-known, solid compositing softwares (I know, they are not specifically mograph-oriented apps, but still...)

As Timo said, better to focus on AP and AD.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Despite I'd love to see an AE alternative coming from Serif, we have to be realistic. I kind of agree with DarkClown here regarding what we can expect.

Don't get me wrong, I think Serif is doing a terrific job with Photo and Designer. Bugs have to be expected, but the status of both apps is already great. If they keep improving them as they are doing, they both are going to be killer apps.

That said, an AE alternative is a tough one for a few reasons.

• The habits of AE users are hard to beat, perhaps even more than PS users
  • AE's interface and workflow, after all these years, are set in stone: for someone who works in the motion graphics industry is very hard to move to a different application (Hitfilm tried already and I think with no much luck)
  • If a Photoshop alternative may sound reasonable, an AE alternative is less

Well said. A program like After Effects would be a major jump compared to the other Affinity applications. I couldn't make a video longer than 5 minutes because of how deep the program got. As I mentioned in my second post, I'm more interested in the motion than the effects. Just with motion, there is so much to play around with. As for the UI, I'm sure Affinity would do a better job in organizing it. Motion and effects would most likely be divided in separate personas.