You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Parity - No media browser on windows?

Hello.

New user of AP here. I've been viewing lots of tutorials over the last few days to get a handle of how this software works and most tutorials are not surprisingly on the mac. I was expecting that both Windows and Mac would have the same features but in the videos where they are loading images into the application they are using something called media browser which I can't find in the Windows version?

I assumed when I purchased the Windows version that it would have feature parity with the mac but it seems at least that this particular feature is missing. Are there any other missing features and will the missing features be added in a future update to the windows version?

Going forward will the same changes and features be added to both platforms or will we continue to see features on one but not the other?

Thanks

• Staff

reck,

The media browser is a built in feature of the mac operating system, like explorer is for Windows.

Affinity have absolute feature parity as much as possible, except where the feature is part of the operating system, like Apple Raw handling. There are very few 'features' like this and I don't think you can expect Serif to rewrite OS specific things that come for free.

There will be some things in the future that are not available on the other OS, like touch bar on the new MacBook, iPad reflection or Windows Surface Studio's Dial

I hope you understand that we wouldn't compromise one release of the application simply because it cannot be on the other build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

That absolutely makes sense Patrick. I didn't realise the media browser was an existing OS feature and wouldn't expect OS features to be implemented on other OS's.

When I saw this was missing it set off alarm bells that maybe this was a sign that not all features were present on Windows but your explanation clears that up.

Keep up the good work.

• Staff

No problem, I did a fuller explanation than was really needed because you aren't the first and you will not be the last to ask, so I made a thread others can be pointed to.

Glad to have put your mind at ease

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon