You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is foreseen to translate the Affinity Photo to other languages. I'm especially interested in Czech language. I have no trouble in using English at all but there are older generations of photographers that would love to have the Affinity translated.

If there is no plan to do that, is there a simple way for me how can I do that?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Jakub

• Staff

Jakub,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

There aren't any plans for other languages yet. I'm sure we will announce them when we plan to add others.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everyone.

I am a new user of your software "Affinity Photo".

I would also be very interceded for translation at least the UI to Czech language.

My English skills are not very good, My wife even worse.

This greatly complicates the use of your otherwise interesting SW.

In the Czech Republic is similar to "linguistically unequipped" many potential users.

Especially in the generation 35+ ;-)

Martin R.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Staff

@skalnik, @vlciho & @MartinR67

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

I will come back to this thread if I hear anything about other languages (particularly Czech) being added to the list of locales for the Affinity range

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 months later...

I see many people would indeed be interested in a Czech translation. I have also spoken to some friends and seen some reviews of your software in the CZ. Many people do not speak English and this is for many an obstacle.

Given the fact I have localized many SW including CCleaner or the Czech version of FB, I am more than happy to help you with this if interested. Translations are my hobby. Feel free to ask if you think this could be interesting for you. It would definitely increase sales, by how much is hard to tell, but it would. Also, because Slovak is very similar, having a Czech version would also work for anyone from Slovakia who does not speak English.

Would it be practical for Serif to produce a special version of Affinity Publisher that at run time gets all its labels by looking in a customizable file?

For example, suppose that there were a text file that has the following

File|File

New|New

Open...|Open...

Open Recent|Open Recent

Close|Close

and so on

and then there could be a version of the text file that had been customized for Czech where the text after the | is changed for the same meaning in Czech, and there could be a version of the text file that had been customized for Latvian where the text after the | is changed for the same meaning in Latvian, and so on for various languages.

If that facility were available then the versions of the text file could be produced by community effort, so that Serif would not need to make a commercial outlay for each separate language.

Then it would be a matter of using the correct customized version of the file and at start up the special version of Affinity Publisher would become customized to that language.

The words are put twice in the original version of the customizable file so that by default the original English would be used. So if, say, someone starts to make a customized version of the file for Czech then those labels that have been set up for Czech would be displayed in Czech and the rest would be in English rather than be blank. That way, successive versions of the customized version of the file could gradually be produced over a period of time.

The customized files could be made available in the forum.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Could someone at Serif possibly say please, as long as it is not a proprietary secret, how does the word

File

get onto the menu bar in Affinity Publisher please?

For example, is it sort of like the following.

Lettering(20, 100, "File")

where Lettering is a function either within the program or supplied by the compiler system.

The reason I ask is because I am wondering if in the special version that I am suggesting that that could be replaced by something like

Lettering(20, 100,LocalizedVersion("File"))

where LocalizedVersion would be a function in the program with a parameter of a string and a returned value of a string, and the LocalizedVersion function would search the customized text file for the string

File|

and if it found it then use the text after the | character on the same line in the customized text file as the returned string and if it did not find it then return the input string.

By doing it that way the method would not depend upon the word File being on any particular line of the text file, so more searching would be needed to find strings but there would be the benefit of the customizable file for each Affinity program would be much simpler to construct and any errors in making a customized version of the customizable file (such as accidentally deleting one line of it) would tend to have only a minimum, more easily detectable, effect rather than a major effect.

Certainly in principle the search would be through the file but in practice maybe the file could be rad in to the program at the start and thus the searching could be done by searching a data structure in the software rather than keep opening the file as such

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Could someone at Serif possibly say please, as long as it is not a proprietary secret, how does.......

We do not support customer translations so you will not get traction from us on this. Please stop

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We do not support customer translations so you will not get traction from us on this. Please stop

Fair enough, although this is a standard for software companies to use some kind of a platform (there are many), where people can contribute on a crowd basis, to translations being moderated by one or two dedicated users. This first of all reduces cost for translations and second, increases sales due to better localization.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cermy said:

sdělení odp. osoby ze Serifu

Osobně bych si nedělal příliš velké iluze, že "odpovědná osoba ze Serifu" bude rozumět tvému českému příspěvku. Mimoto "odpovědná osoba ze Serifu" už v tomto vláknu třikrát sdělila, jak se situace má.
Takže dámy a pánové, což se tak při té příležitosti, než se Serif rozhoupe a případně někdy v dálné budoucnosti českou lokalizaci přidá, naopak začít učit anglicky? ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, lavender said:

Is there any change to add the Czech localization to Affinity Designer?

Promiňte, ale je něco nejasného na předchozích informacích? - doplnil jsem je o překlad z Google Translátoru/Překladače.

On 12/11/2016 at 6:01 PM, Patrick Connor said:

I'm sure we will announce them when we plan to add others.

Google Translator: Jsem si jistý, že je oznámíme, až budeme plánovat přidání dalších.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, Patrick Connor said:

I will come back to this thread if I hear anything about other languages (particularly Czech) being added to the list of locales for the Affinity range

Google Translator: Vrátím se k tomuto vláknu, pokud uslyším něco o tom, že další jazyky (zejména čeština) byly přidány do seznamu lokalit pro řadu Affinity

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, lavender said:

Is there any change to add the Czech localization to Affinity Designer?

Na Macu je to čistě technicky možné: Stačí si vybrat jeden z existujících překladů jako třeba /Applications/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj a vyměnit  tam všechna německá slova ve všech souborech *.strings za česká.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 4/8/2022 at 6:05 PM, loukash said:

vyměnit  tam všechna německá slova ve všech souborech *.strings za česká.

Měl bych k tomu ovšem i dodat:

Děti, nezkoušejte si tohle na počítači vašeho tatínka, jinak z toho bude pěknej vejprask! :D 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:43 AM, loukash said:

Měl bych k tomu ovšem i dodat:

... možná i to, že jde o porušení licenční smlouvy. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.