You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Love AD so much, but the brush deal is really keeping me having to go back to AI. I'm having such a hard time creating simple vector brushes. I know I'm probably way too frustrated to see things clear or even try to perhaps. But why is it so hard to achieve a simple stroke like this with the pen tool? I tried pretty much everything. If anybody has any answers or solutions it will be greatly appreciated because I'm on the verge of just giving up. For what I do, these two strokes are a must. I tried making them and they become grey and cannot change the color nor convert them into curves.

post-1861-0-09368400-1415415016_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi DeezWun

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

To create those strokes follow this steps:

Right Stroke:

1. Draw a line with the Pen Tool

2. With the Move or Node Tool selected click on width button on the context toolbar on top

3. Click the Pressure button on top left

4. Double click on one of the small white squares (to be able to move them individually - the small point inside the squares will disappear)

5. Drag one of the squares down.

6. If the ends aren't totally straight yet, click on the Properties button (near the Pressure button you clicked previously) and set Size Variance to 100%

Left Stroke:

This one is similar to what you've done earlier. You just have to create an additional point in the middle of the line in the Pressure dialog, and drag both the small white squares on the extremes down. You will note that the stroke isn't totally straight but a little rounded in the middle. You can add more two additional points in the pressure line to straighten the line a little more. Affinity always adds some "smoothing" near the points in the pressure line.

See attached file for an example.

strokes.afdesign

Love AD so much, but the brush deal is really keeping me having to go back to AI. I'm having such a hard time creating simple vector brushes. I know I'm probably way too frustrated to see things clear or even try to perhaps. But why is it so hard to achieve a simple stroke like this with the pen tool? I tried pretty much everything. If anybody has any answers or solutions it will be greatly appreciated because I'm on the verge of just giving up. For what I do, these two strokes are a must. I tried making them and they become grey and cannot change the color nor convert them into curves.

Is there no way to create vector brushes in AD?