You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF Designer - Align to Last Selection

What feature am I missing in Designer that would permit me to align an item to the last-selected object?

For example:

In the case of these two objects:

|-----------|                                                      

|              |   <-- box on left

|              |                              line on right -->      ||

|-----------|                                                            ||

I want this:

|-----------|

|      ||      |      (i.e., line gets centered into box, and box doesn't move)

|      ||      |

|-----------|

Not this:

|-----------|

|      ||      |   (i.e., line and box both to move to the center of the space that had separated them)

|      ||      |

|-----------|

In other software, this is usually accomplished by activating a 'align to last selected item' option setting.

How can this (i.e., 'align to last selected item') be done in Designer?

~

This is not what you asked for, but..
If you group the lines and select the group and the layer with the box you can align the lines inside the box.

EDIT, I can align them without grouping. I don't know what I do different than you, sorry.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

You are correct that at present there is no option to align to last selected object, or bounds of back-most object (as Xara Designer does it).

This is a feature that has been requested many times before and is on the common requested features list…

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10410-common-feature-requests-index/?hl=%2Balign+%2Bselection

However, your example is simple to achieve using snapping rather than the Arrange tool. Simply drag the line over the Square, with Snapping enabled, and the line will drop into place beautifully.

I am sure there are other more complex examples that would require upgraded Arrange tool, but many things can be done with the right Snapping options enabled.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro