Steve Wright99

Exported image does not retain project dpi

If the project document dpi is set to 300 then a tiff is exported using File > Export > Tiff the exported document has a dpi of 72. This is totally wrong. The exported document should absolutely inherit the main project dpi. I am amazed that Affinity Photo, an otherwise very smart program, does this wrong. The workarounds are clumsy and dumb. Please fix this most irksome design flaw immediately.

Steve Wright99

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

This seems to be a bug, if confirmed I will move this to the bugs on mac forum. Not that I don't believe you, but what application reports the 72 dpi?

I'm on an Android browser, can anybody else confirm please?

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

TIFF export seems to work correctly for me in APh on Windows (release build 1.5.0.45).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Works correctly for me with the versions as in my sig below. I tried four tests:

New document, dpi set to 300, export metadata OFF. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

New document, dpi set to 300, export metadata ON. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

Existing photo document, original dpi 150, reset to 300, export metadata OFF. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

Existing photo document, original dpi 150, reset to 300, export metadata ON. Result: 150 dpi TIFF

I suspect what Steve is seeing is like my last test -- if an existing photo already has the dpi set to some value and export metadata is enabled, then Affinity Photo will not overwrite that.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Works correctly for me with the versions as in my sig below. I tried four tests:

New document, dpi set to 300, export metadata OFF. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

New document, dpi set to 300, export metadata ON. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

Existing photo document, original dpi 150, reset to 300, export metadata OFF. Result: 300 dpi TIFF

Existing photo document, original dpi 150, reset to 300, export metadata ON. Result: 150 dpi TIFF

I suspect what Steve is seeing is like my last test -- if an existing photo already has the dpi set to some value and export metadata is enabled, then Affinity Photo will not overwrite that.

I wonder.

Could this be because the image has been scaled?

In AP Help:

"Scaling will embed a specific print resolution into an image's metadata to force it to print at a specific dpi (e.g. 300 dpi).  The images pixel dimensions remain unaffected.

:unsure:

I don't know if this helps the discussion but if I download full size jpeg from my 5d3, modify then export, they are always 72 dpi.  On mac.  It is daft not to have a dialogue box that explains this and enables a quick correction.... don't you agree? 

Hi trevorW,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is caused be a known conflict with the dpi set in the document and the dpi of the original image. If you uncheck Embed Metadada (accessible thought the More button in the Export dialog) the exported file will honour the dpi you set for the document. This issue is logged to be looked at/fixed.