seabirdr

Ctrl+click duplicating objects

Please check the GIF that demonstrated the bug. And the Affinity Designer file in the GIF is attathed.

post-40119-0-06962300-1481389750_thumb.gif

What I was doing is holding ctrl and clicking the rectangles alternately. While clicking, I hold the left button of the mouse about 0.5 second long but didn't move the mouse. By doing this, the rectangle was duplicated.

I've reported a similar problem about one month ago (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27624-when-ctrlclicking-slightly-movement-triggers-duplicating/). I'm not sure there is anything you've done for it. To my situation, I spend several hours on Affinity Designer everyday, encountering this once in a while. This has been the 1st burden for me using Affinity Designer. If this is solved, my life will became much much easier.

I asked about this problem in an Affinity Designer QQ group (Real-time chatroom) from China. Several users responsed and complained immediatedly. They asked me how to avoid. The only thing I could suggest was to click quickly.

Windows 7 64 bit

Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43

Hey seabirdr,

I appreciate you taking the time to create this post but since your last one, we've made no progress on this matter. I will of course bump the original bug report that I made to see if it can be looked at again. 

I wouldn't normally see this as a problem as if you're holding Ctrl, you are surely making an intended move to duplicate something but seeing as the object is created on a mouse release, it shouldn't happen as you might change your mind.

Hi, Chris B. Thanks for your attension and reply.

I have been a heavy user of photoshop for a long time. So what I suggest is much based on my past experience.

In fact, when I hold ctrl and click on objects, I intend to select them other than to duplicate them. I do it this way because clicking(withou ctrl) on object can't select objects inside groups. So to keep it simple and consistent, I always use ctrl+click to select objects.

As to duplication. In Photoshop, the shortcut to duplicate a layer is alt+drag. This is available in AD as well. So it became my choice. The difference between PS and AD is when releasing the mouse button after long press, PS doesn't duplicate while AD does. If you think long pressing should duplicate. I respect it. But I think 0.5 second is too short. I don't always finish a click in 0.5 second.

I barely mis duplicate layers in photoshop because its shortcuts for selecting and duplicating are separated. Shortcut for selecting can't duplicate and vice versa.

In conclusion, I suggest:

1. For ctrl/alt+long press duplicating object, increase the long press time that triggers duplicating

2. An option to disable ctrl+drag duplicating objects.

Hey seabirdr,

In that thread you linked to, there is a quote from Tony (lead dev) and he wants to change it so that objects only duplicate when you drag them a reasonable distance as opposed to them duplicating after a certain delay. This would be the ideal behaviour, I think. 

In that thread you linked to, there is a quote from Tony (lead dev) and he wants to change it so that objects only duplicate when you drag them a reasonable distance as opposed to them duplicating after a certain delay. This would be the ideal behaviour, I think. 

What Tony actually wrote (here) is that it should only duplicate if the mouse moves a long way "or you hold the mouse button down for a long time". Although I'm a heavy user of keyboard shortcuts, I'm very accustomed to Ctrl+longclick functionality and I wouldn't want to lose it.

I'm not convinced a delay is the right way to go about duplicating an object. I don't see the benefit over simply dragging it. As far as I can see, there is no evidence in the Help to suggest a delay should duplicate an object either which is why I thought it was a bug.

The benefit over dragging is that the copy is created directly over the original. In Affinity we have the alternative of a 'Duplicate' command, and I'm happy to use Ctrl+J for that, but many users are 'mouseketeers' who find shortcuts difficult and/or unintuitive. Those of us who use DrawPlus are accustomed to using Ctrl+longclick to create duplicate objects for things like shadows (black with a gradient transparency) and highlights (white with a gradient transparency) to add depth to the original objects.

I've written about this before but I'll do it again. There should be an option to disable ctrl+drag duplication, this is particularly troublesome because the spacebar + ctrl to zoom often doesn't register and I end up creating a duplicate (if you press ctrl + spacebar instead of spacebar + ctrl, the order of key presses matters here, the zoom tool is not activated). But even more important, if you duplicate by mistake undoing once only will still leave this duplicate exactly over the original shape without you ever noticing. We need to undo twice, which is super counter intuitive.

I've also tested the ctrl/alt + long press and there's no indication whatsoever that a duplicate was created, not even some sort of flash around the shapes, I won't know what happened unless I check the layers panel or move the object to see if there's anything below. In any case, even if there was a flash I could be so zoomed in into the shape that you wouldn't see the edges flashing. I suppose in that case the software could make the whole shape flash, or maybe do a sound. But you see what I'm doing here? I'm inventing UX workarounds to retain this function.

I think the existing duplication methods (copy + paste, ctrl + j, and duplicating in the layers panel) are enough to cover all users, the ctrl + long press seems extraneous and troublesome.

Hey seabirdr,

I agree with this solution.

And I look forward to any improment that solves this problem.