You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Content aware crop!

Photoshop has a very nice feature called content aware crop, it basically fill in the empty space of a cropped image with the image itself (don't ask me how they do it) but I want that in my newly purchased Affinity Photo on Windows 10. These features are so nice, so nice we need to have them aswell.

Your customer
Max Køngerskov

• Staff

We typically no it's a bit if a gimic that very rarely has a use in the professional sphere. It would take a long time to write and perfect, and be a wow in marketing videos, but is there a real world case where you have found it useful on your own real world photos?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I wholeheartedly agree with Patrick. Both Content Aware Crop and Content Aware Move in Photoshop are utterly useless because they don't work on separate layers. Even with Content Aware Fill, I always do a Stamp Visible, select the areas I want to fill, perform the fill, then Cmd+J the generated areas to a new layer and then delete the Stamp Visible layer.

For extending images, I always do that manually, using a combination of different tools, from clone stamp to content aware fill to copying image regions to generating portions with their seam carving resize tool. The automated version almost always requires manual adjustment, and having the result baked into the image like Photoshop's Content Aware Crop does is counterproductive. It's pretty much just Adobe adding a useless new button in a different place for the Content Aware Fill feature that has already existed for ages.

Actually, "content aware" crop and "content aware" artboard resize make a big sense in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.

I often find myself in need of cropping an image to its boundaries (get rid of the transparent pixels around the edge) or resizing artboard to its content (in Designer).

So basically, this would be a really useful feature. Just making the "Crop" tool and artboards resize senstive (snapping) to conent would do that best.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

"Content Aware Crop" is Adobe's terminology for a filter that applies a patchmaching algorithm that attempts to fill in transparent areas (or selections in the case of "Content aware Fill") with pixels gathered from different areas in the rest of the image with an intelligent algorithm.

What you are talking about is an entirely different feature, similar to the "Edit > Crop" and "Edit > Trim" command in Photoshop.

While I agree that this would indeed be a useful enhancement, you may want to refer to the discussions about this type of feature that already exist elsewhere on the forum if you want to add your vote. I really like your idea of putting that into the crop tool (for example as a button in the tool options bar) instead of the main menu like Adobe did, as it not only makes a lot of sense there conceptually, it allows the user to then adjust the crop rectangle further if need be.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to +1 this suggestion. Not every tool is always useful (even inpainting or clone) -- I think seam carving can be useful sometimes. In fact, I have quite a few photos that would benefit from it. Here's a new implementation of it in Go: https://github.com/esimov/caire -- and goes to show that there is still demand for and interest in this algorithm.

And remember that this isn't just for cropping: it's also for expanding, which is the part I would find exceptionally useful. Little anomalies could be fixed up with clone or inpainting tools and similar.

I do hope you'll consider adding this Affinity Photo. It would make it a highly competitive feature.

• 4 years later...

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help