You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What tablet do I use

ronniemcbride

I got the Huion H610, really awesome tablet in the price range!

I'd like just have more control on low-pressure, the default stylus does jumps 8 levels at time from 0 to 300, and that is the place where I land in the most. Any suggestion for a finer low-pressure stylus?

Edit: it were a wrong sensitivity setting on my software, that made me see stepped sizes on pressure. Once setup that correctly, I will not notice that 8-stepping at all and stylus is working fine!

I use an Aiptek 12000u graphics tablet, it only has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity,but it is a full A4 size work area, and I have no problems using it with my dual monitor PC. It will also work with any Mac from OS 9.

But I am thinking about getting another tablet for my imac, so the  Huion H610 is on my hit list!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm looking into a tablet myself and would love to get something cheaper than a Wacom... especially since I'm not a professional photographer. I'm a serious enthusiast though so I usually spring for a good model if it's worth the money.

A fool and his money are easily parted as they say.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated my tablet! I enjoy my Huion 610 tablet, but I really could not consider a Cintq it just way to expensive for my budget. I just bought this the Huion GT185hd.All I can say is holy crap this a nice piece of gear! I just received it! I had to run off on an assignment, so I will play with it more tonight. First thoughts. Build quality is very nice. size is perfect. Its not to big and it's not small. The screen is beautiful. The pen feels good. There no lag and I hooked it up to a core 2 Dou computer not my newer I7 Powerbook. Installation was easy. Did I mention this thing is beautiful? Now, the only think was having a bit of an issue with was getting the pressure sensitivity to work. I think It might nothing more tweaking a few settings. pressure sensitivity worked fine in photoshop but in Ad had issues. I did not try AP yet 

http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/pen-tablet-monitor/huion-gt-185hd.html

I just updated my tablet! I enjoyed my Huion 610 table,t but I really could not consider a Cintq it just way to expensive for my budget. I just bought this the Huion gt 185hd. Holy crap this a nice piece of gear! I just received it! I had to run off on an assignment, so I will play with it more tonight. First thoughts. Build quality is very nice. size is perfect. IT  not to big and it's not small. The Screen is beautiful. The pen feels good. There no lag and I hooked it up to a core 2 Dou computer not my newer I7 Powerbook. installation was easy. Did I mention this thing is beautiful? Now, the only think was having a bit of an issue with was getting the pressure sensitivity to work. I think It might nothing more tweaking a few settings. pressure sensitivity worked fine in photoshop but in Ad had issues. I did not try AP yet 

http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/pen-tablet-monitor/huion-gt-185hd.html

That's quite a difference in price, ronnie but that piece of hardware does look amazing!

I've been meaning to ask you (or anyone else that has an opinion on this matter) about the Huion H610 Pro that you also have. 

How does it compare to the Wacom Intros Medium Pro (if you've tried it out)? There too there's quite a difference in price between the two graphics tablets and I've read here that the Wacom drivers are top notch but I'm not sure I'd be willing to shell out that amount of cash... unless the Huion has features that do not work properly. I think I read somewhere that the tilt and pressure is a bit wonky with the Huion?

Anyway, I would be thankful for any input. Mind you, I am only a hobbyist, certainly not a professional, so I am not looking for the Best of the best but would like to have something that works well and does things as advertised.   ^_^

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

• Staff

You lucky thing, Ronnie! I'm also very curious about the Huion GT range - I'd really like to see one in the flesh! I've got a Cintiq 13HD and it's awesome, but I've always been disappointed by the colours on the screen - it's simply not as good as the MacBook's screen and it makes me not want to use it as much as I should... :(  I understand that it's probably down to the surface coating - which makes all the difference to how the pen feels as you use it, but it's quite a hefty price to pay... Incidentally, I'll just mention again that the Wacom drivers have a very complete feature set, but I would never call them top notch - they're usually extremely buggy and cause all sorts of random system problems for me and basically everyone else I know who uses them... (and that's a lot of users, to be honest!)... but I still prefer to use it over the mouse/trackpad for sketching, so that must say something! :)

*Snip*

Incidentally, I'll just mention again that the Wacom drivers have a very complete feature set, but I would never call them top notch - they're usually extremely buggy and cause all sorts of random system problems for me and basically everyone else I know who uses them... (and that's a lot of users, to be honest!)... but I still prefer to use it over the mouse/trackpad for sketching, so that must say something! :)

Thank you MattP for your input! Much appreciated.

So, in your opinion, I would be ok with the Huion H610 Pro? Would I be getting the pressure and tilt features along with the sensitivity working well in AP and AD?

I simply can't believe that for this difference in price, the Huion would give me the same thing as the Wacom that costs at least four times more: there has to be a trade-off somewhere, somehow.   :lol:

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

• Staff

I'm not sure if the Huion has tilt support? It definitely doesn't do barrel rotation support (but neither does the Wacom unless you buy the expensive extra pen!) ;)

I've actually just asked Dale to try out tilt support on his Huion and it doesn't work, so that's another thing you might miss - but it's not the be-all and end-all, and I suppose it really depends quite how much value you'd get out of it, and you're the only person who knows this for sure...

In terms of using the tablet for pressure and sketching input, I genuinely couldn't tell which was which (in a blind test) - they both feel very similar in the hand, but the Wacom does have more complete drivers (although as I mentioned - they are riddled with bugs - some versions are better and some are worse) and more extras that you can buy.

I'm not sure if the Huion has tilt support? It definitely doesn't do barrel rotation support (but neither does the Wacom unless you buy the expensive extra pen!) ;)

I've actually just asked Dale to try out tilt support on his Huion and it doesn't work, so that's another thing you might miss - but it's not the be-all and end-all, and I suppose it really depends quite how much value you'd get out of it, and you're the only person who knows this for sure...

In terms of using the tablet for pressure and sketching input, I genuinely couldn't tell which was which (in a blind test) - they both feel very similar in the hand, but the Wacom does have more complete drivers (although as I mentioned - they are riddled with bugs - some versions are better and some are worse) and more extras that you can buy.

Ok got it! Thanks so much once again, MattP! 

And you guys do fabulous stuff so keep up the awesome work! I am so totally thrilled about Affinity products. Ever since I've ditched Adobe products PS and Illustrator, I've been searching for replacements and I've finally found them!

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

That's quite a difference in price, ronnie but that piece of hardware does look amazing!

I've been meaning to ask you (or anyone else that has an opinion on this matter) about the Huion H610 Pro that you also have. 

How does it compare to the Wacom Intros Medium Pro (if you've tried it out)? There too there's quite a difference in price between the two graphics tablets and I've read here that the Wacom drivers are top notch but I'm not sure I'd be willing to shell out that amount of cash... unless the Huion has features that do not work properly. I think I read somewhere that the tilt and pressure is a bit wonky with the Huion?

Anyway, I would be thankful for any input. Mind you, I am only a hobbyist, certainly not a professional, so I am not looking for the Best of the best but would like to have something that works well and does things as advertised.   ^_^

Hello MacGueurle,

Sorry, I am  just chiming in on your question. Yes, I love my Huion610 and I still will be using it as my preferred mobile solution. I have used Wacom products. I used owned and  small graphire, the Bluetooh Graphire and the Wacom 12xW which was 1k when I bought it. I still have it and would gladly sell it to anyone who wants to 300 bucks or your best offer. just message me. The only reason why I didn't like  the 12xw is I was not a big fan of the screen as mention by Matt. I sure someone else would be happy with it but for me I was not. Also, I was not a fan of the size and also the HD version came out soon after I bought that one  too which left me with a bad taste in my mouth just because it cost so much to buy these Wacom products and I have invested enough so I decided to take a chance on Huion and I am very much satisfied with their product thus far. The Huion 610 was my entry point into their product line, but though I was happy with the 610I always wanted that direct interaction with the screen with some of my work.

Now as for your question on the tilt.There currently isn't any tilt support with this product at the moment, but honestly I don't use that feature, hell I didn't use this feature on my Wacom so what I don't know doesn't hurt me. As for the quality of tablet I think it every bit worth the price that significantly cheaper than a Wacom of similar size which would be in the Intous line. trying it at that price is worth it. Ohh and the drivers on a Wacom are a lot more full featured then Huion. Ohh, and a litte note to anyone who purchase a Huion tablet. Make sure you install the drivers before you plug in the USB. I have heard of people having issues with tablet who have not installed the drivers first.

Matt: the screen on this thing is beautiful and HD. Right now I have it connected to my computer via HDMI. and it looks nice next ot my laptop screen. I know exactly what you mean about the Cintiq screen! I am very happy with this purchase! 

I hope that answered your question. :)

Hello MacGueurle,

Sorry, I am  just chiming in on your question. Yes, I love my Huion610 and I still will be using it as my preferred mobile solution. I have used Wacom products. I used owned and  small graphire, the Bluetooh Graphire and the Wacom 12xW which was 1k when I bought it. I still have it and would gladly sell it to anyone who wants to 300 bucks or your best offer. just message me. The only reason why I didn't like  the 12xw is I was not a big fan of the screen as mention by Matt. I sure someone else would be happy with it but for me I was not. Also, I was not a fan of the size and also the HD version came out soon after I bought that one  too which left me with a bad taste in my mouth just because it cost so much to buy these Wacom products and I have invested enough so I decided to take a chance on Huion and I am very much satisfied with their product thus far. The Huion 610 was my entry point into their product line, but though I was happy with the 610I always wanted that direct interaction with the screen with some of my work.

Now as for your question on the tilt.There currently isn't any tilt support with this product at the moment, but honestly I don't use that feature, hell I didn't use this feature on my Wacom so what I don't know doesn't hurt me. As for the quality of tablet I think it every bit worth the price that significantly cheaper than a Wacom of similar size which would be in the Intous line. trying it at that price is worth it. Ohh and the drivers on a Wacom are a lot more full featured then Huion. Ohh, and a litte note to anyone who purchase a Huion tablet. Make sure you install the drivers before you plug in the USB. I have heard of people having issues with tablet who have not installed the drivers first.

Matt: the screen on this thing is beautiful and HD. Right now I have it connected to my computer via HDMI. and it looks nice next ot my laptop screen. I know exactly what you mean about the Cintiq screen! I am very happy with this purchase! 

I hope that answered your question. :)

It sure did, ronnie! Thank you very much, I think I have clear picture now. As long as pressure sensitivity is fine, I guess that's all I need. I used to have many many MANY years ago a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet and the size of the thing made it very difficult to work with. If ever I buy the Huion, I will remember your advice about the drivers, for sure!

Yeah, I know what you mean about buying hardware and seeing a newer product being introduced by the company days after the purchase. It makes you want to tear your hair out!   :lol:

Oh and by the way, I also want to thank you for your tutorials on your YouTube channel, it makes it so much easier to use AP and AD. 

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

G

It sure did, ronnie! Thank you very much, I think I have clear picture now. As long as pressure sensitivity is fine, I guess that's all I need. I used to have many many MANY years ago a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet and the size of the thing made it very difficult to work with. If ever I buy the Huion, I will remember your advice about the drivers, for sure!

Yeah, I know what you mean about buying hardware and seeing a newer product being introduced by the company days after the purchase. It makes you want to tear your hair out!   :lol:

Oh and by the way, I also want to thank you for your tutorials on your YouTube channel, it makes it so much easier to use AP and AD. 

Great! I am more than positive that you be satisfied with your purchase and especially all that damn money you will save and do something else with! 

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on my youtube channel! I am glad  to hear that you are you finding them useful in understanding AD and AP.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie,

Just got my HuionPRO 610, which I bought on your recommendation.  And I am very pleased with it.  So thanks for all your information on it.

Yup. Got mine too and enjoying it so far. I'm still experimenting with it. Thank you again for your input. Cheers! 

You both are very welcome! I am glad to hear your pleased with it.  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Sweet™ is gonna be so freakin' awesome on iPad Pro! This new era of digital design is going to be so amazing, the fusion of digital and analog with multi-touch interfaces, fast 64-bit processors, high-resolution displays and cloud enabled connectivity, along with smart peripherals is going to enable a whole new generation of creative apps that we haven't even dreamed of. BTW, if you guys haven't seen this app, these guys are worth keeping an eye on. Their tools are pretty amazing...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I hope to put in my order for a 27" 5K iPad Pro running Affinity Suite next Christmas. OMG, that will be a great day for creatives!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Affinity Sweet™ is gonna be so freakin' awesome on iPad Pro! This new era of digital design is going to be so amazing, the fusion of digital and analog with multi-touch interfaces, fast 64-bit processors, high-resolution displays and cloud enabled connectivity, along with smart peripherals is going to enable a whole new generation of creative apps that we haven't even dreamed of. BTW, if you guys haven't seen this app, these guys are worth keeping an eye on. Their tools are pretty amazing...

My thoughts on Concepts which I use since first release...

Tools are amazing but they change continuously usability patterns...

Working with layers is really hard...  :unsure:

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers