You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What tablet do I use

ronniemcbride

I received a couple of emails asking about what tablet I use since I don't use a Wacom.

Wacoms are nice and I even own a Wacom worth about 800 bucks that you can draw directly on the screen (the 2 model below the centiq) but I want to sell it because  my new computer connection does not have DVI port.

Anyway I use  80 dollar nock off from a company in china  that to be honest I think it works just as well as an intuous. for a fraction of the cost. you can check out here.

Ronnie, go to frenden.com or do a search on "frenden" on YouTube. Ray Frenden has done a lot of reviews and such with other brands (read not-Wacom) of digital tablets.

Myself, I wouldn't use a Cintique if I was given one. I like drawing on a tablet and having full view of my art without my hand/arm blocking part of it. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Thanks Mike! I will check his review out.  I wish I had Cintq money. I prefer drawing direct on the screen I am just not that good on a tablet. I still feel this disconnect. I do like my sketchbook it lets me break away from this blasted screen but yah it an extra step. owell

Strangely enough, it was blind contour drawing -- the kind that you just draw w/o looking at your paper -- that helped me fully use the tablet. I learned to trust my hand and just focus on the moving cursor. I don't feel disconnected from drawing, I feel that by focusing on what it looks like, I'm closer to it than ever. But then my mind isn't like other people's -- I'm ambidextrous because I forced to be right handed although I'm naturally left-handed. To this day, when I'm stressed out or very tired, I get left/right confused.

Check out Frenden's tumblr, his work is awesome. Earlier this year he did a stint with Harley-Davison, riding motorcycles and making art. Lucky guy.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Strangely enough, it was blind contour drawing -- the kind that you just draw w/o looking at your paper -- that helped me fully use the tablet. I learned to trust my hand and just focus on the moving cursor. I don't feel disconnected from drawing, I feel that by focusing on what it looks like, I'm closer to it than ever. But then my mind isn't like other people's -- I'm ambidextrous because I forced to be right handed although I'm naturally left-handed. To this day, when I'm stressed out or very tired, I get left/right confused.

Check out Frenden's tumblr, his work is awesome. Earlier this year he did a stint with Harley-Davison, riding motorcycles and making art. Lucky guy.

I just checked him out. Glad to see him doing a review on that Huion 220 tablet monitor. That will be my next purchase, for sure! I am glad he enjoys the  Huion H610 that I own  own. for 80 bucks you cant beat it. I review long and hard and went through a few tablets before settling on this one and I have no regrets. Freden's work is wicked the details in his line art are just gorgeous! Im following hime on tumbler now. Thanks Mike!

I gonna have  try this blind contouring more  hopefully i can fall in love with it as much as you have :)

• 3 weeks later...

I received a couple of emails asking about what tablet I use since I don't use a Wacom.

Wacoms are nice and I even own a Wacom worth about 800 bucks that you can draw directly on the screen (the 2 model below the centiq) but I want to sell it because  my new computer connection does not have DVI port.

Anyway I use  80 dollar nock off from a company in china  that to be honest I think it works just as well as an intuous. for a fraction of the cost. you can check out here.

What was the shipping times and extra import costs like. I know that things will be different for me in Blighty...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Guess what I drive past at least once a week.... I'm not a Harley fan, but seeing as you are...Harley-Davidson_monument%2C_Littleport_-

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

• 4 weeks later...

I just (now) purchased the Huion Ronnie recommended.

It seems Amazon had a special, making it even cheaper (by $15).  I've never used a pad like this before — I'm more used to scanning, or importing iPad drawings.  I almost got a Wacom many years ago, but never pulled the trigger.  Impulse buy and I'll find out if it was wise. — thanks Ronnie

I just (now) purchased the Huion Ronnie recommended.

It seems Amazon had a special, making it even cheaper (by $15).  I've never used a pad like this before — I'm more used to scanning, or importing iPad drawings.  I almost got a Wacom many years ago, but never pulled the trigger.  Impulse buy and I'll find out if it was wise. — thanks Ronnie

That's great I think you be very happy with it especially with the deep savings you made for a quality piece of hardware. Everyone can't afford a Wacom! Definitely let me know how you like it when you get it. I think you be very satisfied.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm tempted to get the 610 as well, it's £45 for the 610 with accessories and a little bit dearer for the PRO model £10 extra say. The PRO edition looks identical, but lacks the glove and bag. Do I go for built in battery, or not? Which one should I choose? Any ideas? How was it for you guys?

peter

I don't think you need a bag of a special glove. I have  a pair of cotton gloves. I cut a few fingers off and I am good to go.

It is a solid tablet. It is worth

the price in my opinion!

I've been tempted by the Huion tablets but had no reference of people using them in the real world. Funnily I have a cintiq at work, that I rarely get a chance to use (I'm more managerial nowadays, I don't get as much actual designing time as I'd like) but I've always wanted a cintiq at home, I'm very likely to get one of these now :)

• 4 weeks later...

With the new Macbook's Force Touch... should be really interesting... Wacom better get their innovation going, lol, or they might be the next Blackberry, lol... I can see the iPad Pro with a Force Touch Retina screen coming down the tunnel... Watch out Cintiq...

F.Y.I.

https://tenonedesign.com/inklet

Hmmmm......

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

With the new Macbook's Force Touch... should be really interesting... Wacom better get their innovation going, lol, or they might be the next Blackberry, lol... I can see the iPad Pro with a Force Touch Retina screen coming down the tunnel... Watch out Cintiq...

Exactly!

This is doubly exciting - not only the prospect of the iPad Pro, but also seeing what amazing things Affinity will enable us to do with it!

:)

or get this ;) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modbook/modbook-pro-x-154-retina-quad-core-mac-os-x-tablet/description

Exactly!

This doubly exciting - not only the prospect of the iPad Pro, but also seeing what amazing things Affinity will enable us to do with it!

:)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys seen: http://astropad.com ?

Yes there are many similar applications like this too.  The current iPads have two issues:

1. low friction service

2. poor pressure sensitivity

When we draw, our brain adjusts to the medium we are working with, but something with less friction requires our reaction time to be that much faster.  Something like paper is ideal because the friction gives feedback to our brain and we can react and draw much more accurately for shorter strokes (opposite for longer strokes).

The upcoming iPads may have a more pressure sensitive screen, but I'm not sold that it will be what we imagine it will.  The watch can tell the difference between a light touch and a deep touch, but I'm not sure what the in-between is and that's what's important.  We would like it to be as close to analog as possible, like how a marker or ink pen would work.

According to the Kickstarter page, that company has been doing this for almost a decade — I'm surprised I haven't seen one of these in person.  This is what I've been wanting out of my iPad; a full-fledged operating system.  This would be awesome, except for the price tag.  I wouldn't pay them double the price of the laptop.  I was thinking it would be a $200-500 cost over top the cost of the laptop, but $2k-3k is absurd!  Still, nice product, I'm sure someone that has the $$ would pay that much.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials