You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Broken After Importing from Pixelmator

Hi.  I'm a new user to AP, switching from Pixelmator. To open my Pixelmator docs in AP, I'm exporting them as PSD and then opening in AP. But all my text layers show up as paint objects, not text objects and so are uneditable.  Is there a way?  (Please say yes.)

Thanks...

I imported a psd file into AP, but the text layer only shows the bottom third of the actual text? It also says (art text) in parenthesis next to the layer name.

I have to deselect the checkbox to hide the layer, and then reselect it in order for the text to appear as expected.

I have the preferences set to import PSD text as text rather than bitmap.

Any ideas?

High-End Photographic Prints

MEB - I do not have anywhere to upload the file to, unfortunately.

• Staff

Hi Mitchla,

Thanks for the heads up. I will check this up and fill a bug report. From your description seems we have issues importing text on PSD's exported from Pixelmator.

DesignMeister,

You can use this link to send it directly to me. Please add your forum's username (@DesignMeister) to the file's name so i can identify it.

Arghhhh, I have already deleted it and emptied the trash :(

Sorry.

On another text-related topic, is there a keyboard shortcut to get out of text editing mode, so I don't have to mouse over to click on the Selection Tool?  In PhotoShop they have a Checkmark Icon to click (which I don't like having to do).  What do you do in AP?  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2016 at 1:33 PM, MEB said:

Hi Mitchla,

Thanks for the heads up. I will check this up and fill a bug report. From your description seems we have issues importing text on PSD's exported from Pixelmator.

DesignMeister,

You can use this link to send it directly to me. Please add your forum's username (@DesignMeister) to the file's name so i can identify it.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:15 PM, Mitchla said:

I did have Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap set in prefs already.  When I opened the PSD doc, I got a warning saying:

Bad text data

Bad text data

Bad text data

Bad text data

I'm using Affinity Photo v1.6.6 and I am still having this problem. When I export a document from Pixelmator as a PhotoShop file, then attempt to open it using Photo, I get the "Bad text data" alert and the Text layers don't come across as Text layers, but bitmapped layers.

I do have the preferences set to import PSD text as text rather than bitmap. I'm using v3.7 of Pixelmator. I've attached a very simple Pixelmator-to-PhotoShop .psd file for your examination.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue, as I'm trying to convert my old Pixelmator documents over to Photo.

Untitled.psd

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Winston,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I've added your file to our log to be checked by the dev team.

Thanks for your report/support.

Thanks so much, MEB. I look forward to solving this issue. I'll be happy to supply any additional info, data, or files that may assist.

@MEB I have Pixelmator 3.7 and when importing an exported PSD from Pixelmator into Affinity Photo I get the same.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 1/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, MEB said:

Hi Winston,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I've added your file to our log to be checked by the dev team.

Thanks for your report/support.

BTW MEB,

Can you tell me how long it generally takes to hear back from the Dev team. Just curious, as this is the first time I've submitted a bug. Thanks again!

• Staff

Hi Winston,

It depends of the issue. Critical issues are solved quite fast (when possible), regular issues vary/have different priorities. Since this one is related with a PSD generated by a third party app it may take some time until someone take a look, sorry. Photoshop also has to convert/update the layer on your file to make it editable.