You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please try this:

1. Download & Open SVG test 2.afdesign in Affinity Designer 1.7.3
  2. Select its only item, the rectangle in the center of the canvas
  3. From the Edit menu select "Copy"
  4. In TextEdit, from File > New open a new document. If it is not plain text by default, change it to that from the Format menu.
  5. From the Edit menu choose Paste.
  6. Save the result, using Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) & a .txt extension.

When I do that I get SVG text.txt. The content of that file is pasted below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 363 316" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xml:space="preserve" xmlns:serif="http://www.serif.com/" style="fill-rule:evenodd;clip-rule:evenodd;stroke-linecap:round;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:1.5;">
    <g transform="matrix(1,0,0,1,-118.651,-142.144)">
        <g transform="matrix(1,0,0,1,-7.01229,70.6749)">
            <rect x="126.163" y="71.969" width="361.698" height="314.711" style="fill:rgb(126,255,255);stroke:black;stroke-width:1px;"/>
        </g>
    </g>
</svg>

For me, this contains all the SVG data as text & matches exactly the values from the .afdesign file. Do you get something different?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for the detailed steps, but when I copy your rectangle ("Copy items as SVG" enabled) and then paste in TextEdit, it's just a URL:

/var/folders/0y/cng7v78s4x15w25qqbkd2yh80000gp/T/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Clipboard.svg

I then went back to AD, and this time I Cut and Pasted within AD, and then I checked the Clipboard in Clipboard Viewer (com.seriflabs.persona.nodes), and it shows:

/Users/myusername/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/clipboard/5e300aab

And the dyn's in the left sidebar of Clipboard Viewer only show the PLIST code.

:-(

4 minutes ago, JDW said:

Thank you for the detailed steps, but when I copy your rectangle ("Copy items as SVG" enabled) and then paste in TextEdit, it's just a URL:

/var/folders/0y/cng7v78s4x15w25qqbkd2yh80000gp/T/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Clipboard.svg

Weird. That points to a folder with no equivalent on my Mac, even allowing for normally hidden folders & the different string values the OS assigns to items in var/folders. I don't think that is a Mojave difference either, because I also don't see an equivalent folder on a clone of my last High Sierra startup disk.

Not that it helps, but 6LVTQB9699 in your other result is less of a mystery: it is the Apple Developer Application ID assigned to Serif (Europe) Ltd. There are currently 16 files of various sizes on my Mac in ~/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/clipboard/ but as best as I can tell they are structured like Affinity native file format documents, & probably there to meet the sandboxing requirements when passing files between the different Affinity apps via File > Edit in.

I wish I could suggest something else that would help resolve this for you but I am just about out of ideas. It occurred to me that if your system or AD is set to Japanese that might have something to do with it, but that seems dubious. I am assuming that if you use some third party clipboard utility add-on (like one that supports multiple clipboards) you would have mentioned that already, but if not that might be something worth checking.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am located in Japan but my MacOS system UI is set to English.  

I load PasteBot at startup, but I was sure to quit that app before doing any testing.  But even with PasteBot running, the result is the same.  And yes, I verified in Activity Monitor that PasteBot was not loaded, so that isn't causing the problem. 

Seems like it's time for Serif to step in an investigate.

2 hours ago, JDW said:

I load PasteBot at startup, but I was sure to quit that app before doing any testing.

Is it possible that there is still a PasteBot assistant or helper app that is either still running, or that if either one loads PasteBot at startup or login that has done something that could interfere with normal clipboard operation even after PasteBot itself has quit?

I only mention this because it is a third party add-on & it is something that conceivably could cause some change in the normal functions of the clipboard that the Affinity apps' interactions with the system clipboards are not designed to handle.

Affinity Photo 

No, PasteBot is a standalone app.  Interestingly, all it does is just save everything you copy to the Clipboard.  So I could copy text from a web page, then another, then an email, and I could then go to PasteBot and see all three.  This is nice because without PasteBot you would overwrite the Clipboard each time.

I'm rather surprised only you and I are talking about this.  We need others to chime in and share their experiences, especially High Sierra users.

3 hours ago, JDW said:

No, PasteBot is a standalone app.

If you do not have to start it manually each time you log into your Mac, there is more to it than just the stand alone app.

Affinity Photo 

There's a helper app in the Login Items folder that launches PasteBot when I login or reboot, and that is setup only when the "launch at login" checkbox is set in PasteBot preferences.  But that helper only launches PasteBot once at login and does not stay in memory, as per Activity Monitor.  I can see all the files in CleanMyMac when I try to Uninstall PasteBot.  It shows me all files that pertain to PasteBot.

4 minutes ago, JDW said:

There's a helper app in the Login Items folder that launches PasteBot when I login or reboot, and that is setup only when the "launch at login" checkbox is set in PasteBot preferences.  But that helper only launches PasteBot once at login and does not stay in memory, as per Activity Monitor.

Yes, that is the standard way "launch at login" is implemented on Macs for any app that automatically runs at log in time. But that does not necessarily mean that quitting the PasteBot app afterwards returns everything related to the clipboard to its normal state.

Affinity Photo 

I assure you, it is not PasteBot.  I used CleanMyMac to completely uninstall it and obliterate every last PLIST and hidden file.  I then restarted and tested.  Same story.  When I paste in TextEdit, I only get this:

• 11 months later...

Hello!

I'm having the same issues with MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). With "Copy Item as SVG" enabled the copying doesn't work at all. I cannot paste the SVG into any other file. As a user I would expect the SVG to be copied as raw text, or I'd like to have an option for copying as raw text. 

As pointed out earlier in this thread, other apps are able to do this (Sketch, for example) so I assume the implementation of Affinity Designer is faulty. I am using Affinity Designer 1.8.6.