You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinty Photo - How many computers can I install it on?

• Staff

Hi reck,

Digital Software orders made from the Affinity Store can be installed by one user on any number of Windows PCs that are for the sole use of one person, OR on one computer for any number of users on it. The legal wording is replicated in the Digital Orders section in the store help guide.

It would be great if we would not have to purchase two versions of the same software if we own a mac and a pc. 

It was mentioned a couple of times in the past that a major reason the retail price of each Affinity app was set as low as it is now is because the licenses for them are not cross platform; that if the licenses were cross-platform they would have to charge everyone considerably more for them, whether or not they wanted to use the apps on both Macs & PCs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't want to start arguing, but that would make more sense if most of the users would have both PC's and Macs so a combined price of both licenses would be considered the real retail price. But I believe in most cases users need only the WIN or MAC versions and not both, so Serif does not get a combined amount of the two low-priced products.

There is a small percentage of users who use macs and pc's too, and we need to buy two of everything. I already bought two of AD (win + mac), and I just purchased Photo for windows, but the amounts start to add up and I just hoped there would be a more advantageous solution for us with two OS's too. Just my 2 cents.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

just to clarify: the rule that you can install the software on as many machines as you control relates to windows and mac - or just to windows? i was under the impression that on mac you do allow up to two installs (read it elsewhere in this forum).

anyway, just wondering if there are any plans to offer the mac version on your own site like the windows one - or is it going to remain strictly an app-store exclusive?

just to clarify: the rule that you can install the software on as many machines as you control relates to windows and mac - or just to windows? i was under the impression that on mac you do allow up to two installs (read it elsewhere in this forum).

It relates to each platform separately, but the rule is essentially the same for both. There is no limit on how many Macs you can install the app on, other than you must own or control all of them, & if used for commercial purposes you can either use one license to cover one person's use on all of them or anybody's use on one of them. This is true for all apps obtained through the Mac App Store, not just the Affinity ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't want to start arguing, but that would make more sense if most of the users would have both PC's and Macs so a combined price of both licenses would be considered the real retail price. But I believe in most cases users need only the WIN or MAC versions and not both, so Serif does not get a combined amount of the two low-priced products.

Nevertheless, Serif would not get anything more from whatever the number is of buyers using the app on both platforms, & that would have to be taken into account in the retail price.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Adam Kielcz

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

If I already purchased your software for MAC, do I have to pay for Windows version as well?

Thank you!

No you don't have to but you do need to buy a Windows copy if you want to use it on Windows too ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Markcq,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Each OS requires its own license so you will have to acquire one for Windows on the Affinity Store or through the Windows App Store.

Hi MEB,

when Windows requires one (1) license, and I bought my version through Microsoft Store, how can I unlock the version I downloaded from your website? 

Thanks,

Michael

• Staff

Hi SanMiguel,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The version you bought from the Microsoft Store is tied to your Microsoft ID. To install it on another computer (or on the same if you format/reinstall the OS) go to the Microsoft Store app and install it from there (the button should say install rather than buy in the respective product page).

The version from our store is independent from the Microsoft Store and does require a serial number to be installed (provided by e-mail after you purchase it from our Store or by logging-in in the Affinity Store and going to the Downloads & product keys section). There's no way to "unlock" it if you have bought the app from the Microsoft Store.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

The version you bought from the Microsoft Store is tied to your Microsoft ID. To install it on another computer (or on the same if you format/reinstall the OS) go to the Microsoft Store app and install it from there.

It’s perhaps worth noting that the Microsoft Store version can only be installed on Windows 10, so you would need to purchase the Affinity Store version separately if you wanted to use the app on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I just want to make sure that I understand the licensing correctly.

I have one iMac and one MacBook. 

If I purchase Affinity photo or designer though serif's store I am able to run the applications on both Macs I own. Correct?

I use it as a hobby so no commercial use or anything.

Thank you

PS.

apologies for highjacking the thread

On 10/26/2019 at 2:59 AM, Ioannis said:

If I purchase Affinity photo or designer though serif's store I am able to run the applications on both Macs I own. Correct?

Correct.

Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...

Lately this is rather usual with smaller software companies... they sell separate licenses for Windows and MacOS, which does not make any sense. While bigger companies limit the number of installs, usually to 2, independent of the OS. I find the latter a much better option.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design