You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tablet Recommendation for Novice

bgarrant

Any these any good or to cheap?  Looking for any recommendations

Wacom Intuos Draw CTL490DW Digital Drawing and Graphics Tablet
Wacom Intuos Draw CTL490DB Digital Drawing and Graphics Tablet - New Version

Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Tablet, Medium (PTH651)

Wacom Bamboo CTL471 Pen Tablet

Huion H610 Pro Graphic Drawing Tablet with Carrying Bag and Glove

Huion Pen Display for Professionals Graphics Monitor - GT-190S w/ Glove

Huion INSPIROY G10T Pen and Touch Wireless Graphic Drawing Tablet

I use an older version of the Huion H610 Pro and I'm very happy with it.  I'm not a professional user so my needs may be different from yours.  There have been other threads on this subject.  You might want to do a search for those other opinions.

Thank you.  That is one I am looking at.  Looks nice and I am wondering how it compares to the Huion INSPIROY G10T Pen and Touch Wireless Graphic Drawing Tablet

Thank you.  That is one I am looking at.  Looks nice and I am wondering how it compares to the Huion INSPIROY G10T Pen and Touch Wireless Graphic Drawing Tablet

I use an older version of the Huion H610 Pro and I'm very happy with it.  I'm not a professional user so my needs may be different from yours.  There have been other threads on this subject.  You might want to do a search for those other opinions.

The HUION 1060PRO+ looks nice as well

I also have an older version of the Huion 610 Pro, I love it. Still works very well, and the size is perfect.

The only thing to note, difference-wise from a Wacom Intuos, is that the Huion doesn't register stylus tilt. This isn't a problem for me as I've never drawn non-digitally using the side of a pencil, I'd just grab for a wide lead pencil or a wide brush, but if you naturally draw this way you'll likely prefer an Intuos.

I also have an older version of the Huion 610 Pro, I love it. Still works very well, and the size is perfect.

The only thing to note, difference-wise from a Wacom Intuos, is that the Huion doesn't register stylus tilt. This isn't a problem for me as I've never drawn non-digitally using the side of a pencil, I'd just grab for a wide lead pencil or a wide brush, but if you naturally draw this way you'll likely prefer an Intuos.

I do tend to tilt the pencil when I draw.  What is a good Wacom Intuos model?

I assume the Intuois Draw is the best model? http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-draw

Is the tilt just a software issue with Affinity Designer?

I assume the Intuois Draw is the best model? http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-draw

Your list includes some very different sizes. The Intuos Draw is quite small, with an active area of only 6.0" x 3.7" (similar to the small Bamboo tablets and my old Volito2); the drawing area on the PTH651 is 8.8" x 5.5", whilst on the H610 Pro and the INSPIROY G10T it's 10.0" x 6.25". The active area on Huion's Giano WH1409 is a whopping 13.8" x 8.6", which may seem like way too much desk space until you take into account the fact that it's wireless and therefore doesn't need to sit on your desk next to your computer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Your list includes some very different sizes. The Intuos Draw is quite small, with an active area of only 6.0" x 3.7" (similar to the small Bamboo tablets and my old Volito2); the drawing area on the PTH651 is 8.8" x 5.5", whilst on the H610 Pro and the INSPIROY G10T it's 10.0" x 6.25". The active area on Huion's Giano WH1409 is a whopping 13.8" x 8.6", which may seem like way too much desk space until you take into account the fact that it's wireless and therefore doesn't need to sit on your desk.

How does this one compare to the 610 Pro Plus? https://www.amazon.com/Huion-Graphic-Drawing-MicroSD-Express/dp/B01FTE9HS2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1481294204&sr=1-2&keywords=Huion+1060+PLUS

If you scroll down the page for the 1060 PLUS, you'll see that it comes with a built-in card reader and an 8GB microSD card. The drawing area is the same as you get with the 610 Pro.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Is the tilt just a software issue with Affinity Designer?

It's tablet hardware/software, not program software, --sort of. 

Photoshop will register tilt & spray, but an app like Pixelmator won't. I'm not sure about Affinity as I have a non-tilt registering Huion, and if I need a sort of calligraphic effect with wide marks in one direction and thin in another, I just choose a digital brush that makes those marks, or a spray-style brush if I want that type of mark.

So even though Ps & Affinity may accept tilt marks, because I'm using a Huion, I won't get those marks with the stylus.

The Intuos Draw is actually the equivalent of an older Wacom Bamboo. A few years ago Wacom confusingly renamed their product lines. The pro old Intuos is now the "Intuos Pro" but any others that aren't marked Pro are essentially Bamboos.

I had a Bamboo 4x6" and while it was okay while I was learning to use it, it didn't map to my wider iMac screen very well, and the small size was as constraining as the tablet drawing area ratio. My Huion 6x10 maps so much better than my Wacom Bamboo ever could, and is also MUCH more responsive. I have very little desk space and use it on my lap, but I'm so used to it that I don't give the equipment any thought, I'm just drawing or painting.

If you're just getting into digital tablets I honestly don't see any down side to getting a $60-70 Huion 610 Pro tablet before investing in something more costly. You'll have to commit a couple of hours for a couple of consecutive days to get used to drawing on a tablet while looking at your screen ---and twiddling keyboard shortcuts with your non-drawing hand. 

I am a professional artist and I don't feel I need to change my Huion tablet for a Wacom Intuos at this point, because it works just fine. I might consider something like a Cintiq in future but I think stuff like parallax & color differences would make me crazy. 

Photoshop will register tilt & spray, but an app like Pixelmator won't. I'm not sure about Affinity as I have a non-tilt registering Huion, and if I need a sort of calligraphic effect with wide marks in one direction and thin in another, I just choose a digital brush that makes those marks, or a spray-style brush if I want that type of mark.

So even though Ps & Affinity may accept tilt marks, because I'm using a Huion, I won't get those marks with the stylus.

The Intuos Draw is actually the equivalent of an older Wacom Bamboo. A few years ago Wacom confusingly renamed their product lines. The pro old Intuos is now the "Intuos Pro" but any others that aren't marked Pro are essentially Bamboos.

I had a Bamboo 4x6" and while it was okay while I was learning to use it, it didn't map to my wider iMac screen very well, and the small size was as constraining as the tablet drawing area ratio. My Huion 6x10 maps so much better than my Wacom Bamboo ever could, and is also MUCH more responsive. I have very little desk space and use it on my lap, but I'm so used to it that I don't give the equipment any thought, I'm just drawing or painting.

If you're just getting into digital tablets I honestly don't see any down side to getting a $60-70 Huion 610 Pro tablet before investing in something more costly. You'll have to commit a couple of hours for a couple of consecutive days to get used to drawing on a tablet while looking at your screen ---and twiddling keyboard shortcuts with your non-drawing hand. 

I am a professional artist and I don't feel I need to change my Huion tablet for a Wacom Intuos at this point, because it works just fine. I might consider something like a Cintiq in future but I think stuff like parallax & color differences would make me crazy. 

Thanks so much for the explanation.  I am thinking the Huion 610 Pro is a good starting point as well.

The new 1060 plus is not much more money.  Is it same as the 610 but with a memory card?

http://www.huion.com/product/Graphic-Tablet/NEW_1060Plus.html

Hmmm, I haven't seen this model before, I have something that works so haven't needed to shop around. This looks interesting. The flat style is much more like the new Wacom Intuos Pros, but all the smart keys & stuff are the same as the old Huion non-flat model.  As for the SD card slot, that's something entirely new to me --I have several regular old external HDD's connected to my Mac for backups. An 8GB max SD seems rather small, storage space-wise.

If I were interested in buying this model, I'd check 2 things first, 1) Ray Frenden's Tablet Reviews website, I bought the Huion after reading his reviews several years ago, 2) customer reviews & comments on Amazon.

http://frenden.com/tagged/review

https://www.amazon.com/Huion-Graphic-Drawing-MicroSD-Express/dp/B01FTE9HS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481301279&sr=8-1&keywords=HUION+NEW+1060Plus

Yep, it does look very nice, and I read the SD can be 64GB. If I spill wine on my old Huion 610, I think I'd go for the same new model you ordered.

I just got a 610 Pro.  I do not think it has the SD card.  I will be saving to my PC anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Huion-H610-Pro-Graphic-Carrying/dp/B00ZWRSQ4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1481300092&sr=1-1&keywords=HUION%2B610%2Bpro&th=1