You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a point where the two matches or get close? Say, 50% shadows in AP correspond to 100% shadows in PS?

It might be that AP pushes the shadows too much.

I noticed the opposite is happening with the highlights: it seems I can push them in PS whereas in AP I can push them to about 60-50%, past that point there's no more info to recover whereas I have more info in PS (much more).

That said, so far it did work for me as I didn't need to push the highlights more than that (nor the shadows), and overall when pushing highlights/shadows too much, the image start looking unnatural, but of course that's only based on personal choice.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Thanks for all the replies. 

I'm shooting with Sony A7RII and one of the advantage of having it is it's ability to pull shadows and highlights. It's like HDR technique is a thing of the past. So pulling shadows is really important to me. in fact here's another sample of a file from a 1" sensor sony P&S(Sony RX100V)

i know this is an extreme example but i did that on purpose.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49225452@N08/31483711682

• 4 weeks later...

Hi vinmunoz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We already have this issue logged to be looked at.

Thanks for the heads-up.

no update on this issue yet? or you're still working on it? i understand it's not an easy issue. just making sure you're working on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Another confirmation of this issue from the new iPad Pro. This is completely unusable and frustrating. It feels really bad to be stuck on a road with this. At this point, AP is hardly better than Snapseed app. Please, please fix this isuue. 

4EE5CAB2-7505-425A-887D-8F7D461749AD.thumb.png.681ed0bc9c50eb5d6e6bf4c1c34f9143.png 

• 4 weeks later...

The Shadows/Highlights issue still plagues AP.  I have attached an file that shows my concern.  In the top left is the  unadjusted image in Lightroom., the lower left corner is dark and needs to have the shadows lightened.  Similarly the sky could have it's highlights pulled down a little.  In the top right I dragged the LR shadows slider all the way to the right and the Highlights slider all the way to the left.  Not my preferred processing but it looks better. In the lower left is the same image in AP with Shadows slider dragged left, and the lower right is the same image with the Highlights slider dragged right. The results are a muddy mess. I tried less extreme uses of the each slider in AP but could never find a point that brought out the Shadows and dampened the highlights as clearly as LR does.

I had the same result with the Mac 1.6.6 beta 7.  Will the next beta address this problem?

AP Shadows Highlights .jpg

39 minutes ago, conrad2k said:

In the lower left is the same image in AP with Shadows slider dragged left, and the lower right is the same image with the Highlights slider dragged right. The results are a muddy mess. I tried less extreme uses of the each slider in AP but could never find a point that brought out the Shadows and dampened the highlights as clearly as LR does.

Perhaps an obvious question, but since the AP sliders allow 200% changes, did you ever try adjusting both to 100% & comparing that to the LR 100% result?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You are correct.  I was just moving the sliders to the max left or right.  The result below is less muddy, but still awful.  This is how it compares to Lightroom. Can you replicate it R C-R?  

I forgot to mention that this uses AP's "normal" blend mode.  I have tried others and "Screen" is not so muddy at +- 100%, but it does not definition in the clouds or the shadows that LR has by default.

AP shadows Highlights2.jpg

I know nothing about using Lightroom, but from your screenshot its sliders go to "100" but there is no "%" indicated, so perhaps that does not directly compare to the % values for AP's sliders?

If instead of using those numeric values you try to match the histograms in the two apps, does AP good any better?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Interesting idea, R C-R, no matter how I fuss with the sliders, I can't get a similar effect in the images or the histograms. I have tried it on similar landscapes shot with a Nikon d610 and the Fuji X-T2, with comparable awful results.  Have you experienced this problem on you images? 

My solution so far is to develop images in Lightroom to take advantage of their Shadow and Highlights algorithm, and then transfer to AP to take advantage of it's strengths.