You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update for affinity photo 1.5 is not visible for my MacBook

I have always had affinity photo on both my laptop and iMac. The iMac has been updated but my MacBook Pro doesn't show an update is pending for the program to the latest version.

Both of my computers have had the previous updates coming in without a problem but for some reason my MacBook Pro is not showing an update waiting on the store to download. Both of my computers are current with their latest OS updates.

Can someone help me obtain the update for my laptop. It has always been available up till now.

Thanks

Lee

I have the same issue. can't update Affinity Photo 1.5 from previous 1.4.6 version. when you click on the app, it shown "OPEN" and the same previous app opens. however the Affinity Designer updated automatically from apple App store. Appears to be a Bug ! i am keen on using the new features on Affinity Photo, an amazing app giving run for their money to Adobe PS. Hope the developers resolve the issue soon. Regards. G. Kamat. MBP 17, 16GB, 220GB SSD.

I have the same issue. can't update Affinity Photo 1.5 from previous 1.4.6 version. when you click on the app, it shown "OPEN" and the same previous app opens. however the Affinity Designer updated automatically from apple App store. Appears to be a Bug ! i am keen on using the new features on Affinity Photo, an amazing app giving run for their money to Adobe PS. Hope the developers resolve the issue soon. Regards. G. Kamat. MBP 17, 16GB, 220GB SSD.

I don't think our problem is the same - I can't get the update at all from the store for my laptop and the store is expecting me to re-purchase Affinity Photo despite it already being on my laptop. You seem to be able to do the update but can't open it - a little different I think. However, thanks for your reply.

• Staff

Hi travel bug,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's a few things you can try:

- press ⌘ (cmd) + R to refresh the Updates page

- sign out-and sign in again in the Mac App Store. Make sure you login wit the same Apple ID used to purchase the application
- restart the system if you keep it sleeping rather than turning it off.
- you may also try to clean/delete the App Store cache
As a last resort you can always move the Affinity app to the trash, empty it and reinstall from the App Store again - it will install the latest version.

Hi gurudas kamat,
Does the update appear on the Mac Ap Store app for you?
Do you have moved the application from the root of the Applications folder to another folder?

Hi travel bug,

Here's a few things you can try:

- press ⌘ (cmd) + R to refresh the Updates page

- sign out-and sign in again in the Mac App Store. Make sure you login wit the same Apple ID used to purchase the application
- restart the system if you keep it sleeping rather than turning it off.
- you may also try to clean/delete the App Store cache
As a last resort you can always move the Affinity app to the trash, empty it and reinstall from the App Store again - it will install the latest version.

Hi gurudas kamat,
Does the update appear on the Mac Ap Store app for you?
Do you have moved the application from the root of the Applications folder to another folder?

Thanks MEB for your reply and I followed your suggestions but unfortunately they did not work. I will step you through what I did do to get the issue resolved:

1. I tried the cmd + R without any result.

2. I tried the Sign out and sign in without any result.

3. I had already tried to restart the system a number of times so knew that would not provide a result.

4. I didn't know how to clear the App Store cache so don't know that would have helped or not.

5. Your last suggestion had me a bit worried so I did not delete the app from my computer. I was concerned that if I deleted the app altogether I would not be able to download it again as it was already asking me to pay to purchase the app as it was.

So here is what I did and it worked. I went into the App Store (look for the 'Store' option on the menu options) and went to 'view my account'. I noted that there was an option to look at 'hidden items - Hidden Purchases: Unhide any hidden, redownloadable Purchases'. I clicked on the 'Manage' button and the full list of my downloaded programs/apps were there. I clicked on 'Install' for both Affinity Photo and Designer (as I found out that I had the same problem with Designer as well as Affinity Photo). Both programs downloaded and installed and I am now fully up to date on both.

Thank you for getting me started on trying to fix this - I had no clue where to start but through your suggestions it led me to the eventual resolution I was looking for. I appreciate it and was glad I did not have to delete the program to get it sorted.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I bought Affinity Designer & Photo in 2015 when they were launch on the apple store. Until now, I use to have the updates, but I can see that I have a old version (1.4.2).

When I open the App store, it looks like I did not buy it but I did ... I don't understand...

Do you have a special link ?

Please see the pictures.

Thank you for your help

Giom

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 18.11.35.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 18.11.55.png

• Staff

Hi affion,
Do the following: sign out from the Mac App Store then sign-in again again (with the Apple ID used to buy the programs). The OPEN button should then appears below both apps. To update to the latest version still in the Mac App Store app, go to the Updates tab (on top) and Affinity apps should appear there on the list below. Click the update button in front on them to update to the latest version.

If this doesn't fix the issue let me know and i will give you further instructions. It may be a problem with the Mac App Store cache.

• Staff

If you are absolutely sure you have bough Designer with the Apple ID used to sign-in in the Mac App Store you can also try to drag the Affinity Designer.app file from the Applications folder to the Trash, empty it, then reinstall Designer again from the Mac App Store. It should install the latest version.

• Staff

No, there's no special link. This must be made through the Mac App Store app. To clean up the Mac App Store cache:

1. Open the Terminal app. Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:

open $TMPDIR/../C

This will open a Finder window.

2. Drag the com.apple.appstore folder that's inside there to the Trash.
This folder is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

3. Run the Mac Store app and try to install Affinity Designer. If it still doesn't work, reboot your system.

Let me know if you still have issues after trying that.

• Staff

Ok. Try this: open the Mac App Store, go to menu Store on top and select View My Account. Look for the section for Hidden items then there's a Hidden Purchases entry there. Click the Manage button in front of it. It should display a list of hidden apps in case you have some. Does Designer appear there? If so unhide it from there. Does it now appear in the Purchased section so you can install it?

1 hour ago, affiom said:

No because it from 2015.
They show only 3 months maximum...

Are you sure you are looking with the Purchased tab selected? I have apps showing there purchased as long ago as January of 2011. With that tab open, try scrolling vertically -- older purchases may not be visible if the window is not tall enough to show all of them at once.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7