You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD Mac: placing RGB image on CMYK document?

Will an RGB image be converted automatically when it is placed on a CMYK workspace document?

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Hi Michael,

No, an RGB image remains RGB and how it is exported (the settings) determine whether it remains as RGB or is converted to CMYK.

For PDF export, an RGB image is a tagged RGB image under two conditions. (1) that a PDF type is used that allows mixed color spaces (like PDF/X-4 or a simple PDF compatibility) and, (2) that the color space (using the More button) is set to As document. Else the PDF can be "forced" to contain only RGB, CMYK.

A note about the Color Space setting of Gray. All images will be output using their color space. Meaning an RGB image will hit the PDF as an RGB image in the same colors as was imported. Same with CMYK images. Even with setting the first option for a Gray color space and the second option for the ICC profile to be a grayscale or B/W profile, the images remain in their as imported color space. This, I believe, is an error

PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 do not allow for mixed color space and so these PDF types will always output CMYK.

Other PDF types can be output (again, the More button) by simply choosing a PDF compatibility and the level of which also controls certain other attributes, such as whether transparency is allowed or not (PDF/X-1a flattens all transparency). All the PDF levels (1.5 through 1.8) all allow for transparency and mixed color space.

Mike

Mike, thanks for a complete answer.

The printer reported my images as RGB on the preflight and I figured placing them on a CMYK document would convert them.

So then just save it as a .afphoto project as 300 dpi CMYK/8 and placing it Designer is a good workflow?

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)