You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Auto zoom and window tiling

Would you please add options in preferences to auto re-size window when using the zoom tool and an option to open files untabbed. I really dislike when files open as tabbed and sometimes I have a lot of files open at the same time that I need to see or have access to. Having to resize the window so images don't overlap can be time consuming. Maybe this has been added but I can't find the options.

I should add that I'm using Affinity Photo and Designer for Windows.

• 8 months later...

As a macOS User, I prefer to use the “Separated Mode”. Here it is even more important that document windows auto re-sizes when you zoom.

Also under macOS, if you Option-Click the Green button in the title bar, please do not zoom the window to fit the screen (see 2-bad.png), moving the window under the tool bar and all the panels. Make use of the space between the panels (3-good.png).

Have a look at the screen shots. Also notice that the document contents is centered in my wishlist picture.

1-starting_point.png

2-bad.png

3-good.png

Well, I kinda like that document window is as big as it can be and all other windows/panels/bars float. That is not without issues though. 

Separated mode uses save dialogs that are attached to window top. I would prefer plain floating dialog here. (I guess the logic is that when you have several documents open attaching makes clear to which document dialog belong. Trust me though: I know which document I am saving/exporting.) 

(Why I cannot insert an image here? Dialog turns red when I try to insert dropbox link? Too big? Here is plain link: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/o58i4nwe72sgmhe/savedialog.gif?dl=0 

Bars cover the upper part of dialog. Either make it top or float center.)

Separated mode also FAILS to open documents in maximum window size. I am not talking about a few pixels at the screen border. Here: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/d21gyduozt141g2/initialopen.gif?dl=0 (Again, forum insert media fails.)

Document window should be way larger, double size. Maybe size follows MBP native screen, not the attached main screen? 

Same bug may cause also panel drifting to the center of the screen when attached screen is removed and reattached.

Separate mode also tends to lose Toolbar and Context toolbar, and they cannot be not recovered without reset. Maybe that is corrected in new beta as it has not happened there (in the short time I have been using the beta).

• 3 years later...

I'm a long time user of virtually all of the Plus  products (probably all except for Web+) and have just purchased the Affinity trio.  A bg problem with Affinity Photo was almost immediately apparent, one that I have spent a great deal of time trying to solve, is how to tile the windows when more than one image is needed on screen?  This feature in Photo+ is a simple, two-click procedure: how is it done in Affinity Photo?  I see I am not alone in missing this ability.

4 hours ago, JonBowen said:

I'm a long time user of virtually all of the Plus  products (probably all except for Web+) and have just purchased the Affinity trio.  A bg problem with Affinity Photo was almost immediately apparent, one that I have spent a great deal of time trying to solve, is how to tile the windows when more than one image is needed on screen?  This feature in Photo+ is a simple, two-click procedure: how is it done in Affinity Photo?  I see I am not alone in missing this ability.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Assuming you're still on Windows: You can float an image window using the menu command Window > Float. If you have multiple windows floated, you must resize them manually to fit as you want them to fit.

However, another user recently suggested trying Microsoft PowerToys "FancyZones". I haven't tried it yet:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, but floating and manually arranging really isn't practicable  when reviewing half a dozen shots to select the  best and discard the worst of a burst, and is a chore when setting up a clone.  Arranging horizontal or vertical tiling and then navigating all simultaneously is a trivial exercise in Photo+ and its absence in Affinity Photo is a serious limitation.  In a clone or repair, seeing where the source is, is essential.  Without this feature Affinity Photo is a no-go for me.

The Power Tools application seems to be one of those "Win10 will download and install for your inconvenience" applications.  I am only now trying Affinity because, in my opinion Win10 is, to be polite, unsatisfactory, and to run under Win7, Affinity requires that other so-called new and improved feature, Aero, a feature for which I have yet to find a use and which results in some very weak on-screen contrast for old eyes.

Sorry you weren't able to lead me to a, perhaps undocumented, feature :37_disappointed: