You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[DAM] Video Import; Media browser & Catalog

Video Import

Considering that we now live in a multimedia era in which most cameras are also capable of shooting video clips, I would like to see support to import such video clips and perform at least very basic operations (i.e., trim, copy & trim, set poster frame, etc.)  Then, on export to export to a frame size, format desired (i.e., 4K -> 1080p or 720p, etc.)  Such capability is already inherent in Adobe's Lightroom, Apple's basic photos app even.  In consideration that most cameras, especially and obviously smart phones) are capable of shooting video clips, and the added fact we now live in a multimedia era of audio and video in addition to just images, it is important to be able to have at lest such basic function to recognize ALL multimedia in a camera and not just a part of it.  For full blown video production, of course would use an NLE video post production editor.

Media Browser & Catalog

Again as examples, both Lightroom and Photos allows one to browse the media of a source (to include BOTH photos and video (above) for browsing and edits. I understand Affinity  has a very basic functional capability for this under  the photos menu, but it's just not the same.  It is minimally functional and useful.  I know this falls under the DAM category, but still, a basic integration of a catalog or library would be nice to have versus opening a single photo or a group of photos  from the source each time to conduct an edit.  Having a set of scrollable thumbnails to pick and choose on-the-fly will be convenient, useful, and productive.  I dropped Lightroom because  of their subscription model event though they have a very useful and functional browser for said  purpose.  For the interim I am using Apple's Photos which also has this same function. However, Apple's Photos apps is limited in the editting capabilities and convenience. So, for now I am sort of in limbo.    Adobe has  the free bridge program, but then I am using a separate application for this function rather then having an integrated solution. 

Thanks.

Jerry S.

Tokyo, Japan