SailorMax

[Fixed] Very slow file opening

Hey SailorMax,

It looks like AP might be slower if it is trying to read the EXIF data from the JPEG. I'm not getting close to 4 seconds, even on some 10MP images but it is a bit slower than AD. 

Have you tried a PNG? It is definitely quicker than a JPEG for me however AD still has the edge. AD seems to average 1 second whereas AP is averaging 2.

I'll pas it over to development to see if my theory is correct and if there is anything they can do to help :) 

I run Hitman Pro and every time I open a raw file (Olympus ORF) Exiftool.exe triggers a Hitman Pro malicious code exception. The file loads quickly but doesn't have any EXIF data available. This didn't happen with the beta.

I got round it by replacing the installed Exiftool with a different and apparently newer version I already had (10.3.6.0). This fixes the error, the raw file loads and EXIF data is available. The raw file opening is pretty slow though. JPGs seem very quick and EXIF is available.

Do you think Exiftool is the culprit for the OP?

Great product overall - congrats to the developers!

Have you tried a PNG? It is definitely quicker than a JPEG for me however AD still has the edge. AD seems to average 1 second whereas AP is averaging 2.

Retest with PNG. Same result - 4 seconds (after cold start). Second open - 3 seconds. Anyway too slow for such a simple small file.

I'm seeing very slow file opening with Nikon D7200 raw files, which are about 29 MB. It takes 13 seconds from selecting the file to it opening in AP 1.5.0.45. This is only slightly faster than the 15 seconds I experienced with the beta.

This is a real problem if editing a large number of images.

Is it what I should expect, or is it a bug that will get fixed?

Win 7, 24GB RAM, solid state drives.

Pete

Is it what I should expect, or is it a bug that will get fixed?

Can you send me a few examples so we can look into it? Everyone will likely experience different load times, as discussed above. I think 13 seconds is quite a long time. What times do you get in other apps?

Can you send me a few examples so we can look into it? Everyone will likely experience different load times, as discussed above. I think 13 seconds is quite a long time. What times do you get in other apps?

I've just tried RAW (Fujifilm RAF) files and I am also getting extremely slow opening time, i.e. compared to Photoshop Elements. Like 15 seconds for RAF coming from Fujifilm X-E2S and - surprisingly - 30 seconds or more for RAF coming from Finepix S5Pro (which is smaller in size, should load faster (?)

​Edit - I've checked again, 15 sec is for JPG file from X-E2S. For RAF it is almost a minute (!!)

The original Windows version of Affinity Photo that I'm using is extremely slow to start up -- something like 45 seconds. Probably the longest-loading program I've ever used. By comparison PSE and LR take a second to load. RawTherapee is slightly slower (3 seconds). DxO Optics Pro version 9 was something like 15 seconds, but it was never this long. Hopefully the next official update will fix it (I know the latest beta addressed that issue to some degree).

Why matters

Chris,

Thanks for your response. I picked a Nikon RAW file at random and found these load times:

Affinity Photo:  19 seconds

Fast Raw Viewer:  3 seconds

Lightroom 6.6:
* 9 seconds when no 1:1 preview exists
* about 2.5 seconds when a 1:1 preview exists

In my Lightroom workflow if I import a set of images I'll be processing I routinely have Lightroom create 1:1 previews of all images so I can move between them more rapidly.

I will be happy to provide sample images but the Attach Files limit on size of any one file is 20MB. All these files are in the range of 27MB to 35MB. Is there some alternate way I can get these to you?

Pete

The original Windows version of Affinity Photo that I'm using is extremely slow to start up -- something like 45 seconds. Probably the longest-loading program I've ever used. By comparison PSE and LR take a second to load. RawTherapee is slightly slower (3 seconds). DxO Optics Pro version 9 was something like 15 seconds, but it was never this long. Hopefully the next official update will fix it (I know the latest beta addressed that issue to some degree).

Sankos - I think you are referring to the start-up time for Affinity Photo. This is different than the topic of this thread, which is about the time Photo takes to load a raw image file. If your concern is about start-up time for the application (Affinity Photo) then you may get more attention by opening a new topic.

Pete

Sankos - I think you are referring to the start-up time for Affinity Photo. This is different than the topic of this thread, which is about the time Photo takes to load a raw image file. If your concern is about start-up time for the application (Affinity Photo) then you may get more attention by opening a new topic.

Pete

Pete, you're right, sorry for the off-topic. The loading times are also slower than what I'm used to in other applications. The native Affinity format loading time is good on my machine. Raws, tiffs and jpegs load perceptibly longer than elsewhere.

Why matters

I will be happy to provide sample images but the Attach Files limit on size of any one file is 20MB. All these files are in the range of 27MB to 35MB. Is there some alternate way I can get these to you?

Pete

You can upload these photos to OneDrive/Dropbox/etc. public folder and share pictures or this folder

Do you have access to a DropBox or another file sharing site? If not, I can PM you a link to my DropBox but give me a heads up as I'll need to sort through it to make space  ^_^ I'm more than happy to do it though. Cheers.

Do you have access to a DropBox or another file sharing site? If not, I can PM you a link to my DropBox but give me a heads up as I'll need to sort through it to make space  ^_^ I'm more than happy to do it though. Cheers.

Hi Chris, Sorry - I do not have a DropBox or other file sharing account. If you could find space and send me a link I will be happy to send some sample Nikon D7200 RAW images. Each of the images I would send takes just under 30MB.

Pete

I also needed about 18 seconds for a CR2 RAW file to appear after the splash screen was gone so I returned my license for the moment. This is not acceptable. I now bought lightroom standalone and it is my DAM and procesing tool of choice. What I now need is a pixel editor mainly for inpainting and maybe some effects. What I ask myself is, how much time is needed when Edit In > Affinity Photo is used with TIFF as exchange format. Can someone evaluate this please? Is this better than opening the raw directly?

And a second question: How does the reimport work?

Thanks everyone for your contribution. We have logged some improvements with development as we do seem to be taking longer than other apps. 

Chris,

Thanks for following up on this.

A related suggestion: If Photo could also pre-build previews in a way similar to Lightroom that would greatly speed subsequent load times. This can help a lot when editing a large group of images and moving back and forth amongst them. The previews could automatically be removed after a time, say 30 days, also in a manner similar to Lightroom. I also realize this may be impractical since Photo does not maintain a library of image files.

Pete

Hm, after thinking about it, a lightroom user does not need to import raw in Affinity, because the "Edit in" command creates a 8/16Bit TIFF anyway. But it would be nice if a 16 Bit TIFF file could be loaded fast.

I tried PS Elements, it has so awful usability and supports only 8Bit. The inpainting did not work either as expected/promoted. So there is no advantage compared to Gimp.