You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I've used the search function, but found nothing about: how long is the license valid when Photo or Designer get updates? F.e. is it possible to update with the same license from 1.5 to 2.0? Or is there a document which provides detailed information about?  

Thank you in advance.

• Staff

Hi Nininho,

Welcome to the Forums :)

You will get all updates for features currently on our RoadMap for free. Once the RoadMap is complete however you will have the option to purchase again for future updates or keep the version you have. You can view the RoadMaps below!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/842-affinity-designer-feature-roadmap/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10075-affinity-photo-feature-roadmap/

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 years later...

I have the same Question, and the Links are not valid anymore...
Also, is there any info on roughly how often new roadmaps will come out?

Do new roadmaps correlate to new major releases? currently 1.8, so i mean 2.0 by major... or has affinity a different scheme?

What i want to know is an estimate for how long a license will get me the latest version.
The answer "after the end of the roadmap" seems not to be a time- answer... unless the roadmap has dates in it...

Serif no longer provides a public roadmap for any of the Affinity applications, @sirtet.

Updates are free until version 2 becomes available. Thus, if you purchase right now you get a license for all of version 1.x, currently version 1.8.3. We know that 1.8.4 is coming, as it is in beta now. Further, Serif have revealed some content that they plan to have in 1.9. All of those would be free updates for anyone with a version 1.x license.

But we do not know what happens between 1.8.4 and 1.9. There could be a 1.8.5, for example. Nor do we know  what follows 1.9, There could be 1.9.1, 1.9.2, or even 1.10, 1.11. All of those would also be free updates.

Or, perhaps, after 1.9 we will see 2.0.

Whenever it happens, Serif have said that 2.0 will require a new purchase if you want to use it. But the last 1.x release should keep working, if you don't want to buy a license for 2.0.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, sirtet said:

So, is this stated somewhere by affinity, that licenses are for mayor versions only?

It is certainly stated in the forums. Whether it's stated anywhere in the Store I do not know.

26 minutes ago, sirtet said:

Also, i wonder if they have a reduced upgrade-price and what it is, or if that's the full price.

There is only 1 version right now, and no one knows when version 2 will become available, nor anything about its price nor its features.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1