You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s quite clear that some of Serif’s sales staff have conveyed the impression that Affinity Photo represents a natural progression from PhotoPlus:

But that is not the same thing as saying something that is a 'natural progression' or a 'next step' makes it a direct replacement for anything. Besides, there is a 'try before you buy' trial version & a 30 day money back guarantee if Windows Plus app users buy an Affinity app from the Affinity Store.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Besides, there is a 'try before you buy' trial version & a 30 day money back guarantee

I’m pretty sure there was no trial version when the Affinity apps came to Windows, and the MBG period is only 14 days.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m pretty sure there was no trial version when the Affinity apps came to Windows, and the MBG period is only 14 days.

I stand corrected on the MBG period, but wasn't the trial version made available if not simultaneously with the first retail version, then shortly after that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I stand corrected on the MBG period, but wasn't the trial version made available if not simultaneously with the first retail version, then shortly after that?

I’m afraid I don’t remember the timescale, but you may well be right (as you so often are).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I first wrote about this 2 1/2 years ago.  I  converted some of my layered spp files to layered psd's and it worked ok.  It was usable.  Since then I updated my computer, and no longer have PhotoPlus, so my unconverted spp files are now unusable.

I'm a hobbyist that belongs to several camera clubs.  When the topic comes up I give my opinion, that Affinity is basically a good program and I like it, but I have to question Serif's commitment to their customer base.  

21 minutes ago, Gary I said:

Since then I updated my computer, and no longer have PhotoPlus ...

Can't you just download & reinstall it?

Affinity Photo 

21 minutes ago, Gary I said:

Since then I updated my computer, and no longer have PhotoPlus, so my unconverted spp files are now unusable.

Have you considered reinstalling PhotoPlus? It should still be available to you from the Serif website.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Have you considered reinstalling PhotoPlus? It should still be available to you from the Serif website.

Ha! I beat you by a few milliseconds. xD

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Gary I said:

yes I have, and you completely miss the point of my post.

You stated that your files are worthless, and indicated that that demonstrates Serif's lack of commitment to their customers.

On the contrary, your files are not worthless, because Serif cares enough that you can still download and run the old software that you need to work with those files.

"Not caring" would be something like what Adobe did when they shut down one of their license servers a few years ago, making it impossible to reinstall old versions of Photoshop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

I have just realised that my SPP files, some going back 20 years, are not compatible with Affinity Photo, as described here.

I also assumed that as a replacement my old files would still be available in Affinity. especially as you no longer support the legacy software.

I find it rather strange that Affinity Photo, as did PhotoPlus,  made a big deal about being able to import PSD files yet did not think that loyal PhotoPlus users might like to import old Serif SPP files.

Affinity Photo and PhotoPlus are BOTH Serif products so it was either a deliberate decision, or an oversight, to not allow for legacy files to be imported. Whatever the reason for me it is a massive customer relations disaster for existing PhotoPlus users.

But then you are mainly trying to attract users from the lucrative Photoshop market which seems to be the driving force behind the development of Affinity Photo. 

You seem to have forgotten that it is the loyal PhotoPlus users, and the other legacy software users,  that have kept Serif going and effectively paid for a substantial amount of Affinity development costs.

Yet you simply shrug your shoulders and say download the old software and use that to convert to PSD and then import to Affinity. Something that should have been built into Affinoty from the beginning.

A truly disappointing attitude towards your original customer base.

4 minutes ago, chrisday10 said:

Affinity Photo and PhotoPlus are BOTH Serif products so it was either a deliberate decision, or an oversight, to not allow for legacy files to be imported.

Nope. As the staff have explained many times now, even though they come from the same company the two app families have entirely different code bases. Many of the features of the Plus apps (at least as yet) have no counterpart at all in the Affinity ones, making it impossible to simply import Plus documents into Affinity ones & preserve any more of the document's structure & content than can be done now via using a PDF intermediary.

Affinity Photo 

• 11 months later...

Honestly, I don't care what the staff have said previously. I've used Photoplus for years, and right now it's not on my PC since I've just put in a new HDD. I registered back with Serif.com in 2011 and was using Serif products way before that. I was a Select Member. Remember that?

I've had quite a few Serif products over that time and never had any issues with file formats. I have hundreds and hundreds of SPP files, and I wanted something to convert them. Nothing exists. I just downloaded a software trial of Affinity and it doesn't have any way to open or import SPP files. ChrisDay10 is right: for anyone who has been a prior customer it's a public relations disaster.

You see, you either buy Photoshop, or you look for something with enough functionality for a decent price. That has been Photoplus in the past, but since Serif obviously don't care about their long time customers enough to even include a simple conversion add-on, then I guess I'll not be supporting them either. Going to uninstall the Affinity trial version now. Merry Krita.

Edited by Farewell Serif

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2020 at 1:37 PM, R C-R said:

Nope. As the staff have explained many times now, even though they come from the same company the two app families have entirely different code bases. Many of the features of the Plus apps (at least as yet) have no counterpart at all in the Affinity ones, making it impossible to simply import Plus documents into Affinity ones & preserve any more of the document's structure & content than can be done now via using a PDF intermediary.

I think the key message is that we would expect it to open spp files if it can open other formats such as psd.