You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just purchased through customer service. They said it would replace Photoplus but I am not seeing any way to convert or open up my SPP files.

Is there a conversion utility or some way to move them into Affinity?

I did search the forum before posting

Thanks so much for any help

-- 

Rick

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi rgrun1, welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure what our Customer Service team have said to you but Affinity Photo isn't a replacement for PhotoPlus, sorry. It's a completely different app and doesn't support .SPP files.

Do you have many .SPP files? You could export your PhotoPlus documents as a PSD files (or try TIFF or PNG) and open them into Affinity Photo for editing.

Leigh

They indicated that this was the next step and it would replace and go beyond the old photo plus

That being said, this just created a lot of work

But thanks for the reply!

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Rick,

For our company (and therefore the sales team) Affinity Photo is the "replacement" as PhotoPlus is not being developed anymore. For customers it has many similar features and many new ones not available in PhotoPlus. You should decide which program is right for you.

If you don't find Affinity Photo suitable or think you were misled, then please email affinityreturns@serif.com

We think it is a strong offering, but NOT for files in the .SPP PhotoPlus file format

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

For our company (and therefore the sales team) Affinity Photo is the "replacement" as PhotoPlus is not being developed anymore.

CraftArtist was a direct replacement for Digital Scrapbook Artist, and ImpactPlus was similarly a direct replacement for 3DPlus: CA and IP were effectively DSA3 and 3DP4 respectively, but with new names. I think your sales staff should be instructed to take great care to make it clear that Affinity Photo is not a replacement for PhotoPlus in the same sense.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I also went through this.  What you can do is save them as layered psd files, that can be opened as a layered file in Affinity Photo. 

What's really much more important is that Affinity Photo doesn't support Topaz remask.  The selection tool in Affinity simply doesn't work very well comparatively, and using remask as a standalone is really a poor solution.  Affinity should make these type plugins the top priority if they're serious about competing with photoshop. 

• Staff

Is the final decision from Serif that it will never open them?

Keith

Keith,

Yes this is a final decision. This is a new code base with new concepts, sorry if you expected it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 years later...

So I am just now dealing with this issue as I haven't been doing much GD work. I cannot get the current version of AP to open psd files. I am frankly surprised and extremely disappointed in a company that I have been using since version 2.0 of the Serif products that does not at least allow conversion of their own files to the new format they created or some other decent workaround. My PP version keeps crashing...

Like I said very very disappointed.

19 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

I cannot get the current version of AP to open psd files.

How are you trying to open them specifically & what happens when you try? With a few limitations Affinity Photo can open psd files without issues.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I went ahead and clicked on the psd file anyway to see what happens. The layers came in but the fx were all lost. This is a huge issue because I use templates (I scrapbook with this instead of Craft Artist) that come with effects on the layers.

3 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

There is no .psd option in the list of file types. See attached screen shot.

The drop down is just to help sort which file types you are looking for to open. PSD is included with "Document Files", but, as you've discovered, it's easier to leave it set to "All Documents" so that all file types, (that AP supports,) are displayed.

Although AP does support PSD files in general there can be problems with some content (text, smart objects etc) that are not supported in AP. Whether or not PSD files open correctly does also depend on the version of Photoshop that they were created in.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Well, they were created in PhotoPlus to export into Affinity Photo because AP doesn't support it's own parent's file type! :( So a lot more is lost in the process. And my PSD direct files are from a myriad of years and designers so basically it will be a crap shoot. :( Guess I'm sticking with PP even though it seems to crash way too much.

4 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

AP doesn't support it's own parent's file type!

As indicated earlier in this thread, PhotoPlus (PhP) is not in any meaningful sense the ‘parent’ of Affinity Photo (APh). The two software products come from the same software house, and some or all of the developers working on the new app will have worked on PhP, but APh was written from scratch.

Alfred spacer.png

I get that except that SERIF if the parent company and you have eliminated products yet replaced them at the same time, regardless of how they were made. It's like changing from injection molded parts to 3D printed parts. I still need the part and expect it to do what the original part did.

My message, and the message of your user base, is that you have not designed what we expected, wanted, needed, etc. nor have you effectively addressed those things in the software since. I am a UX and CX advocate, and these are the kind of things that do not line up with UX and CX principles. The comments and feedback should be resulting in changes or at the very least documentation that addresses the differences to the potential purchaser/users, especially your loyal user base that has been using your prior products. I have encouraged people to use Serif software over Adobe etc not only because of the price, but because of folks like you, Alfred, who have been wonderful help over the years on various projects. I imagine you could also tout things that Serif can do that Adobe doesn't (and vise versa). All of those things are important to users/customers. And when those are lost, diluted, etc,. then so is your base and therefore your bottom line, especially with the power of referrals, upgrades, etc.

2 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

It's like changing from injection molded parts to 3D printed parts.

Nope. It isn't like they simply retooled to make the same parts a different way. It is like they retooled to make new parts for a different product, one that has very few parts in common with the older product.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

I still need the part and expect it to do what the original part did.

That's like saying that you expect that an engine part for your 1956 car will work in your 2019 car. They are both cars, and both have the same basic parts and functions (body, engine, brakes, wheels, etc.) but they are totally different in the details. Or that you expect the motherboard from an old PC to work with a newer generation of processor.

Similarly, PhotoPlus and Affinity Photo are entirely different, and parts from one don't work in the other.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Perhaps the best explanation is that I thought I was buying a part for my 1956 car because that is what the materials inferred if not flat out stated I was buying. I don't own a 2019 car and I didn't intend to buy a part for it either.

6 hours ago, TanyaMc said:

Perhaps the best explanation is that I thought I was buying a part for my 1956 car because that is what the materials inferred if not flat out stated I was buying

Where was that inferred?  It's been clearly stated, many times, that the Affinity suite is made up of brand new software and is not an upgrade to Serif's legacy products.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Like I said I didn't save any of the information and it was quite a while ago. My use is hobby related and my time for such things has been minimal. I purchased as soon as I could because I didn't want to lose functionality. But it is all moot, regardless. I will have to find another way to maximize my previous investments in templates, supplies, etc.

Thanks for the information. Have a great weekend!

What I really don't understand is why Serif didn't just come out with a conversion utility program, to convert SPP files to PSD files.  The export capability already exists in PhotoPlus so any development should be minimal, and Serif's long term customers wouldn't be pissed off.  Serif doesn't seem to get that they gave themselves a black eye by not supporting their customers.

1 hour ago, Gary I said:

What I really don't understand is why Serif didn't just come out with a conversion utility program, to convert SPP files to PSD files.  The export capability already exists in PhotoPlus so any development should be minimal, and Serif's long term customers wouldn't be pissed off. 

What could this 'conversion utility' do that can't already be done via the export capability in the Plus apps?

As the staff & developers have mentioned in several different topics, there is no way to 'convert' something that relies on a feature in a Plus app to something useable in an Affinity app unless the same or an equivalent feature exists in the Affinity one. So the best a separate conversion utility could do is no better than what already can be done via the export capabilities already built into the apps, which is an incomplete conversion.

Affinity Photo 

12 hours ago, IanSG said:

Where was that inferred?  It's been clearly stated, many times, that the Affinity suite is made up of brand new software and is not an upgrade to Serif's legacy products.

It’s quite clear that some of Serif’s sales staff have conveyed the impression that Affinity Photo represents a natural progression from PhotoPlus:

On 12/11/2016 at 9:27 PM, Rick G said:

They indicated that this was the next step and it would replace and go beyond the old photo plus

That being said, this just created a lot of work

Alfred spacer.png