You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool - ALT Won't Break the Curve For Me...

I actually do hope I've missed something obvious here so that someone can quickly point me in the right direction!

I keep trying to draw with the pen, and the tutorial says that holding down the ALT key will let me break my curve so I can go off on an angle, but it's not working for me.  The ALT key is shared with the OPTION key on my Mac, so is there maybe a different key I should be pressing instead?  It's getting really frustrating to have to shove the handle in to try to create a sharp corner on a line I'm trying to draw.  Doesn't work very well, or even snap into the node, freeing it, if I bring that handle point right on top of it.

Is there any other sort of key shortcut I should be using?  ALT just isn't breaking the curve for me, for whatever reason.  

Please help!

• Staff

Hello! :)

The 'Alt' key is the 'Option' key - it's just a different name for it and they're often used interchangeably - my keyboard is labelled with 'alt' and the picture for option on my MacBook Pro. Take a look at the 'Pen Power!' tutorial on this page and see if yours is working as expected :)

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 years later...

Hi bohemian11 & welcome to the forums.

As shown in the video, the alt/option key does not break curves, it just forces the Pen tool into "cusp" mode to create non-symetrical handles to make sharp corners.

To break a curve (to get two independent, unconnected curves) you can select any node with the Pen or Node tool & click on the "Break Curve" action on the Context Toolbar. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7