You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a wondering about the boxes surrounding artistic text. In my example in the attached picture the text position related to the box surrounding it isn't the same for the different words. Why is that? And is it anything you can change? When to position text with the x-cordinates this becomes little of a dilemma. Naturally when you want to align text it's the text itself that you want to align but in this case it's the boxes that correspond to the x-cordinates.

So my question is: Is this how it's suppose to be and i've missed something? And in either way, can i do something about it?

post-44918-0-53360500-1481206565_thumb.png

Behaviour seems different depending on technique…

• If I write a few different words, and drag to snap the left edges, then everything aligns to the edge of the first letter as expected.

• If I use the Arrange button to align the words, this uses the bounding box, which as Varnas notes doesn't abut the letter edge, so the words end up misaligned.

This doesn't seem desirable to me.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• If I use the Arrange button to align the words, this uses the bounding box, which as Varnas notes doesn't abut the letter edge, so the words end up misaligned.

This seems to work correctly on the Mac so maybe it is a Windows-only bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So my question is: Is this how it's suppose to be and i've missed something?

The words seem to be correctly aligned optically. I think it's normal for a character such as 'T' to have small side bearings (gaps between the base box and the left and right extremes of the letterform) so that there isn't an unnaturally large gap on either side of the vertical stroke. If the vertical stroke of the 'P' were aligned with the left-hand end of the crossbar on the 'T', it would look as though the 'P' was too far to the left.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred I know what you mean regarding optical balance, but am unconvinced that this is how alignment and snapping should work.

For one thing there is no consistency here... if optical balance is the aim, why does snapping align letter edges, and Arrange aligns bounding boxes?

Also should AD make decisions about optically aligning other objects beyond text? What if I cant to left align a circle, square and diamond? Even if they have the same areas, the difference in shape leads to very different feel for each object, but if I tell AD to left align that is exactly what it should do!

I just tried snapping in Xara Designer as a comparison, and both methods snap to the letter edge, which is what I would expect.

@R C-R if you aren't seeing the same behaviour on Mac then it could well be a bug.

post-43096-0-61454200-1481296338_thumb.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Aammppaa,

I am definitely not seeing the same behavior as in the first part of your gif. Both left-align & snapping line up the left edges of the texts, with no extra space. I even tried with different fonts & different text sizes -- with either method the edges line up exactly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have the same behavior with Windows (10): as Aammppaa the alignment is not the same following the method. Manual alignment is good while with the "alignment" tool there is an offset on some letters.

post-37692-0-23246700-1481301451_thumb.png

Then this is indeed a Windows bug.

Can a Mod move to the Bugs forum, or do we need to repost it there?

Perhaps @varnas you could change the post title to say [bug]?

• 1 month later...