You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Faulty instructions for adding free macros to Affinity Photo 1.5

The download instructions for the free macro pack say "Just click the download button to get your free macro pack. To install, open the .afmacros file or alternatively import from your Library panel." If I try to open a .afmacros file, I get a 'Failed to open file' dialog that tells me, "The file is not an Affinity document."

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred

The text on the page with the download link has to cover both Mac and Windows platforms. On the Mac you are able to double click on an afmacros file to add it to the library. It would be too labourous to include specific instruction on this page. Obviously they way file association works is different on the different platforms but the Macro pack does include a quickstart PDF that details the installation better.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Same here.

I can't import the free macro pack.

I'm able to create my own macro, export it and import it back with no issues.

The free macro pack instead doesn't work. Also, the extensions in the free macro pack is "afmacros", whereas from AP it seems it can only import "afmacro".

Of course, I can force it to open the "afmacros" files, but then again, no luck importing them.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

@vegasabel, did you read the included pdf file which explains the procedure for installing the macros in AP for Windows?  You can't simply click on the file; in Windows you have to Import the macros to the Library (which I always thought was a MAC-exclusive term?).

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Steffie,

Are you using the Import Macros (note the plural) item from the popup menu at the top of the Library panel? That is the menu that appears when you click on the four line "hamburger" menu icon opposite the the Library text in the panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue... I was able to record a macro, export it, but if I delete it and try to reimport (even after restarting Affinity), The open file dialog show an empty folder while my file manager clearly show the file with a .afmacro extension. Once I dismiss the file open dialog an error message is waiting underneath it that says "Unexpected Macro Format, Failed to load file ".   This is with no file ever selected.

I'm having the same issue... I was able to record a macro, export it, but if I delete it and try to reimport (even after restarting Affinity), The open file dialog show an empty folder while my file manager clearly show the file with a .afmacro extension. Once I dismiss the file open dialog an error message is waiting underneath it that says "Unexpected Macro Format, Failed to load file ".   This is with no file ever selected.

The 'Import Macros...' option on the Library panel menu is only for importing collections of macros (*.afmacros). For single macros (*.afmacro without the s) you need to click on the 'Import' icon at the top right of the Macro panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

It might be good to mention that you cannot import the .afmacro files unless you have an open document.  I kept trying and nothing happened but as soon as I opened a new document, the icon turned white and It all worked perfectly.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• 5 months later...
On 12/29/2016 at 3:13 AM, Alfred said:

The 'Import Macros...' option on the Library panel menu is only for importing collections of macros (*.afmacros). For single macros (*.afmacro without the s) you need to click on the 'Import' icon at the top right of the Macro panel.

I wish we could vote for answers, so this would float to the top of the list to responses, like stack overflow. i didn't know that I needed to look into the "Library" panel and not the "Macro" panel.  Confusing. Thanks for this!

I have a similar problem with macros.

I downloaded the free Macro pack, unzipped it (see attached "files.jpg") and tried to install it via Library Panel. Then I got the message "Unexpected Macro Format" (see attached "unexpectedMacroformat.jpg"). I downloaded the files several times, but always with the same result. I tried to install the macro "Uplift - Epic Skies"  in the " Uplift Epic Skies Overlays", too. But no success.

Do you have an idea what I am doing wrong?

I tried to create a new category in the library panel (see attachement), but no success, too. Can there be a wrong setting by me anywhere?

I made a simple macro (black and white). That macro I could export (and import). But I could not add it to library (see attachment).

CreateNewCategory.jpg

add-to-library.jpg

unexpectedMacroformat.jpg

Files.jpg

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Design_Guy said:

I don't get it, they don't even allow you to import macros. This is once again another HUGE let down

"The file is not an Affinity document." I got the macro (afmarco) off this forum and it doesn't even work

If you have a .afmacro (no "s" at the end) file you need to import it using the Macro studio panel. Click on the burger menu icon on the upper right of the panel, and you can import it.

But if you have a .afmacros (with an "s") file you need to import it using the Library studio panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you have a .afmacro (no "s" at the end) file you need to import it using the Macro studio panel. Click on the burger menu icon on the upper right of the panel, and you can import it.

But if you have a .afmacros (with an "s") file you need to import it using the Library studio panel.

Thank you Walt, that did the trick! I was just confused about macros vs macro. 😂 even though the instructions everywhere were clear. anyway appreciate the tip 👍

2 hours ago, Design_Guy said:

even though the instructions everywhere were clear.

Clear instructions get ignored by my brain, it usually takes me several tries and then there is the "Ohhh..." moment. That .afmacro(s) thing still confuses me, when I export one I usually do both (from the Macro panel and the Library panel) which doesn't help when I later want to import just the one macro. I am constantly cleaning up my library of things I don't need again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still getting unexpected format error. I am able to create a category under the Library and I have macros format but no go. I tried to reset the app to factory setting and renaming macros.protocol. I am on windows 7 desktop.

28 minutes ago, aggienoel said:

I am still getting unexpected format error. I am able to create a category under the Library and I have macros format but no go. I tried to reset the app to factory setting and renaming macros.protocol. I am on windows 7 desktop.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

What is the name of the file you downloaded, and that you're trying to import into the Library?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

31 minutes ago, aggienoel said:

Example Macros.afmacros

Thanks.

So, assuming that:

• The original file was a .afmacros (with the s), and you didn't rename a .afmacro (without the s) file; and
  • You're trying to import into the Library studio panel using the option from its hamburger menu, not the Macro studio panel;

then I don't understand why you'd get that error. If those are true, where did the .afmacros file come from? If they're not true, please provide more details on what you're trying to do that generates the error message.

(I'm also not sure why you say "I am still getting unexpected format", which implies that you have gotten it before and (I infer) that you have asked about it before. This seems to be the first time you've posted about a macro problem. I'm also not sure if this comment is relevant, of course; I just found it a bit confusing :) )

-- Walt
PC: