You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Backspace key to 'delete'

Hi

Either I'm missing something or the backspace key on a Mac keyboard no longer serves to delete a selection. I found this extremely useful in trimming layers - is it still available and disabled in settings somewher or has it been purposely removed?

Thanks

Hi - thanks for replying. Yes - a layer is selected. The only way I can currently 'remove' a selection is to use the fn-backspace combination (equivalent to 'forward delete') It used to be a one key operation and I haven't changed anything on the Mac.

Hi - thanks for replying. Yes - a layer is selected. The only way I can currently 'remove' a selection is to use the fn-backspace combination (equivalent to 'forward delete') It used to be a one key operation and I haven't changed anything on the Mac.

Sorry - probably should confirm this relates to Photo 1.5 on a Mac. I've checked in the keyboard mapping preferences - I'm only seeing 'delete' in the layers section and I've deleted and reset the key. Selecting 'delete' from the layers menu works and the shortcut key is displayed as the Mac delete key. It's a Magic Keyboard and I'm also using a Wacom tablet - I see there have been some issues in layers with these tablets. Later I'll connect a Mac USB keyboard and disconnect the tablet to test further. Thanks.

Have confirmed this is a problem with typical small form factor Mac keyboards (Magic Keyboard / MacBook) as they don't have a distinct, separate delete key which the full size USB keyboard has. Have logged it as a bug, as it used to work with these keyboards in previous versions.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Somehow, this issue persists. I use a full keyboard so I can still delete, but not with backspace. Somehow, the backspace key is reserved for going through history steps, but I can't find any way to change this? It would be great if this can be addressed, as this annoys me every time, as it is different behaviour to other programs like PS and Clip Studio

Try using ⌘+X that should delete the selection.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions