You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Final Version Affinity Photo released - can't be serious

• Staff

I'm not sure if the RC are different from the release but I have tried resize and all looks like it works the same as the Mac and mainly works for me.

The only issue I have is that if I untick resample and change the DPI then the size disables and doesn't show the new size. If I click resize the it does work but I have to go back into the resize dialog to see the new size. Is this what you are seeing?

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:28 PM, Opera said:

Uhhh, just heard about the release of the final version. Can't believe that this buggy version can be a success. If the massive Bugs with the resizing function won't fix, unfortunately a purchase makes no sense for me. :(

Hi, I've gone back through some of your posts and found the following:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28512-distortion-resize-problem-not-fixed-in-15037-for-afphoto/?p=143718

Set Centimeters, change the DPI value, set a new Centimeter value in the left Box -> this results in a funny value in the right Box -> if you click apply the image will be distorted. This also occurs to other file-formats JPG, PNG... but in some cases the Bug doesn't occur...

I've tried this again just now, and it works as expected. However, if you do the following:

1. Open image

2. Document > Resize Document...

3. Change to centimetres

4. Change the width

5. Change the DPI

6. Click Resize

then the image will be scaled out of aspect ratio.

If you swap steps (4) and (5) it will work as expected. I apologise for not picking up on your original bug report, but at the same time, I wouldn't class it as a bug that was serious enough to delay the release of the application. We'll get this fixed for the next release.

I'm not sure if the RC are different from the release but I have tried resize and all looks like it works the same as the Mac and mainly works for me.

The only issue I have is that if I untick resample and change the DPI then the size disables and doesn't show the new size. If I click resize the it does work but I have to go back into the resize dialog to see the new size. Is this what you are seeing?

Simply do this (Windows 10):

Resize Document>Inches/Centimeters>Type a value in the first field >DPI 300> Lanczos 3 Non-Separable> click apply

Since the first Beta I'm only posting to the resizing problems...

If you swap steps (4) and (5) it will work as expected. I apologise for not picking up on your original bug report, but at the same time, I wouldn't class it as a bug that was serious enough to delay the release of the application. We'll get this fixed for the next release.

Thanks Mark. But no serious user can work with such a resizing dialog. Resizing is often enough a very intiutive thing so we can't care about typing orders. Values also don't follow accordingly - sorry but definitely a no go.

It's also not possible to see the centimeter-values if you change the DPI values and untick resample. That’s a huge problem for me as a designer. So I have to calculate in another application. Sorry Mark but practically every freeware has a better resizing dialog.

Thanks for the announcement to care about this problems.

I'm working with Affinity Designer. Hoping this for Affinity Photo too....

Mark ingram, in Affinity Photo Public Beta - 1.5.0.45 (RC2) thread you answered me that you are still looking into my problem with Wacom delay. If there will be no more new version of beta, how can i check if that is fixed in the final version. I cannot possibly buy your product blindly hoping it will work, unless you allow me to check new version or provide refund.

• Staff

Mark ingram, in Affinity Photo Public Beta - 1.5.0.45 (RC2) thread you answered me that you are still looking into my problem with Wacom delay. If there will be no more new version of beta, how can i check if that is fixed in the final version. I cannot possibly buy your product blindly hoping it will work, unless you allow me to check new version or provide refund.

We will have a trial version available in a few weeks so you can try any improvements we make.

We will have a trial version available in a few weeks so you can try any improvements we make.

And I'm certain that Serif still offer their money-back guarantee if you decide within 14 days of purchase that this software is not suitable for you.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I have been busy lately and haven't tested for a week or 2, did the horrible pixelation of basic brush strokes on wacom companion tablets get fixed yet or did stroke smoothing get added? If not it's not likely I will buy, I can't get nice inking lines as it stood on the 1.5.0.43 beta.

• Staff

I have been busy lately and haven't tested for a week or 2, did the horrible pixelation of basic brush strokes on wacom companion tablets get fixed yet or did stroke smoothing get added? If not it's not likely I will buy, I can't get nice inking lines as it stood on the 1.5.0.43 beta.

We have a few more Wacom improvements coming in the next few weeks so I would have a go with the trial that should be released by then.

There will also be a customer beta released soon with new bug fixes (the same as we have done for Designer), and finally, as emmrecs01 has said, there is a 14-day refund period.

That is great. It this customer beta will be avaible here on forum to download, or the main affinity page ?

• 3 months later...

I just tried the latest version of affinity photo trial (I was a beta tester) and this problem with jaggy brushes still persists on my Wacom Cintiq companion. I just today updated my tablet driver. I still get this in photoshop elements too although not as bad as with AP. Adobe PS CC2016 fixed it. Seems ok on all other paint/photo edit programs, krita, medibang, paintstorm, corel painter, manga studio and even gimp2 all give me smooth brush strokes. I had hoped to get Affinity photo as a replacement for my photoshop subscription but until this is fixed AP is just not usable for me. Any idea when it may be fixed?

I still get this in photoshop elements too although not as bad as with AP.

Any idea when it may be fixed?

Errr... Shouldn't you be asking Wacom?

Selective quoting?

Seems ok on all other paint/photo edit programs, krita, medibang, paintstorm, corel painter, manga studio and even gimp2 all give me smooth brush strokes.

Indeed, the issues are well known... :)  Be patient, I believe they'll get fixed.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Selective quoting?

Errr, no: the fact that other programs might coincidentally play nice with a given piece of hardware is irrelevant. If several programs exhibit the same problem, the common denominator is the hardware.

So no, not selective quoting, but analytical thinking. 

Keith Reeder

Yeah, but several of her issues are the same than what's happening in others' machines with the apps. And some of us (speaking about Windows versions) know that it is not the hardware's fault (in our case)...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2:5 ratio on play poorly versus play nicely. 2 are from the same company (Adobe) and of those, one plays nice in a recent version.

It may well be Wacom. It may well be that it is integration of Wacom in particular applications. It's easy to point fingers.

In my case, I follow a rock solid logic -to me...-  which relates in what is practical for me... I don't have brush delay, neither i have had in bazillions apps I have drawn with, modern and old, as I test and try everything that is used to draw and paint. The latest time I had a brush delay while using a small size brush was back in 2001 using a very under powered celeron of the times, and actually the issue was the hardware wasn't able to keep up with anything that attempted to use a brush, and not in the beginning of a line, but through all the painting process. That was in 2001. Once the game company achieved an Athlon for the painting tasks, it went smooth and great.  Using PS, Pixia, Painter, etc, etc. (which tells you how old some softwares are, is not only ps). Today, absolutely no other application does the delay (with a small brush!) , or the other brush issues, these are some basics that all (except jitter ! Jitter, there's at least one application that puts jitter, I indeed re-visited it when reading someone spamming about it around here: Photoline. He talked so many good things that I gave it a second try... and yep, in zoomed out produced jitter as well... But PS, Painter, Corel Photo Paint, etc... well, the normal jitter that own's hand has (and that Wacom or other devices multiply by some factors, tested this as well...Hardware is not yet there but is not that terrible), and also that magnetic technology adds (but not more !  The situation is not great in drawing devices as to add extra issues, imo...) I discarded immediately PL at that very moment, as was not loving the UI either as much as I do with Affinity's (or PS) ) .

Neither I have since very long had the experience of: drawing in zoomed out, then zoom in and check that the stroke are "stairs", like following a grid of quads instead of being a smooth line. This either happens in PS or any of the others.  Mentioning all this. PS is , IMO, not the best thing to draw. Just one of the more convenient for complex illustrations projects, but for actually drawing, the averaging/stabilizers, these jitter killer features present in Clip Paint Studio (maybe the best at it), Sai, Krita, are much better for painting. Yet though, for complex editing, PS or affinity is miles beyond (maybe coming near Clip Paint Studio (previously Manga Studio)). I don't expect PS, neither AP, to become a CPS killer in no time, but yep some painting essentials. Anyway, not in a demanding way, nor with hurries, either. But what I can't see very logical is to deny what is happening in the apps themselves, the current status in painting (probably blown away in 1.6 with all what will be fixed there). I mean, I am fine if it is fixed in 2020 (meanwhile I'd use other tools (one of the reasons I purchased AD but not yet AP ) , if those get fixed. Not fine if people think there are no issues in the painting department, as there are a lot (in Windows !).

The software is VERY useful already, so is not sth terrible, as you can paint with a lot or free tools meanwhile. ) And the company has a right not to fix that area, or, put in the wait making painting/drawing improvements. It is their product ! So, I am totally fine with that (might change of path myself, but that's me, and I'm weird :)  ).  I sometimes wonder if the issue is just that maybe in the Mac version there's is no even a shadow of the delay, jitter, aliasing, zoom, etc probs...Whcih would explain some users surprised about these reports, and not seeing the issues.. Even though, I have realized that a good number of the people saying there's no real issue are photographers, not illustrators or comic artists... ;). I mean, they use at least less, and less intensively, the painting features.  I have even scientifically tested that the issues are there (and documented them all graphically)... But I can only test on Windows, sadly, as much as I would love to have even a low end mac around... (or even a PC with Linux..). And for all I know, well, might be even Windows only issues! (certainly, I don't mean the issue is in Windows!, but in the A. apps, sorry....) As I have no idea about how it all performs in the Mac.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.