You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Smart Objects + other feature requests

Hi,

Request 1:

About resizing an image or the canvas size:

Would it be possible to add the option resizing by "percentage".

Request 2:

Curves: in photoshop you can add a point to the curve and set the RGB values fot that point to for example 128,128

Could this option be added in Affinity Photo?

Request 3:

Smart Object (in Photoshop) is a feature I use a lot in my workflow. Could this be added to Affinity Photo aswell?

Regards

Johan

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi belly.be,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the first point, you can perform math operations in the input fields using percentages. Just add *50% after the current value to resize the document or canvas size to half for example. You can also use this notation *=50% if you prefer replacing the current field value. For additional info on expressions for input fields check Affinity Photo Help ▸ Workspace ▸ More ▸ Expressions for field input.

Affinity Photo already has "sort of" Smart Objects, in the form of Embedded Documents. They're rather limited though, my main complaint is they're embedded rather than linked and limited to APhoto file format. For my usages (packaging mockups) these two features are a must, along with the need for a Live Mesh Warp Filter layer. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I love Designer a lot more than I ever loved Illustrator or InDesign but can't justify switching to Photo until it has Smart Object compatibility.  Wonder if it's a patent issue or something as it seems a big thing not to have.

Totally agree. Smart Object Support would be fantastic. I am using Smart Objects all the time with embedded vector objects.

• 1 month later...

I have cancelled my Photoshop subscription and as a UI designer AD fulfill my daily needs.

Now I have turn to my old CS6 Photoshop when I need to edit and existing file containing a smart object or if I wan't to use one of my countless mockups to present a design to a client.

PS. Note that when I create new files from scratch I do use the embedded documents feature and it more perfectly. For my uses it feels really similar to Adobe smart objects and does the job perfectly.

I have cancelled my Photoshop subscription and as a UI designer AD fulfill my daily needs.

Now I have turn to my old CS6 Photoshop when I need to edit and existing file containing a smart object or if I wan't to use one of my countless mockups to present a design to a client.

PS. Note that when I create new files from scratch I do use the embedded documents feature and it more perfectly. For my uses it feels really similar to Adobe smart objects and does the job perfectly.

Hi there,

I make use of the embedded documents too. But unfortunately I did not find a way in release 1.5.1.54 to open an embedded document to make changes in that document. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Could you give me a hint?

• Staff

Is the embedded document below some other (transparent) layer or something? You can also select it in the Layers panel then click Edit Document in the context toolbar (Move Tool) to open it in a new document tab. Without seeing the file it's difficult to guess what may be causing the problem. Can you please attach it here or PM me a link to the file hosted on a file sharing or cloud service?

OK, by following your hint with the move tool, I am able to open and edit the embedded file. Thanks.

But double clicking does not work, even not if I move the embedded layer to the top of the layer stack.

If necessary I can send you a link to the file.

Have you seen this request https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37662-affinity-photo-high-resolution-files/