You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.5 has launched!

TonyB

Hello!
I believe I have asked this before, but HOW do I get V1.5x?  The app store does not give it to me, it says "OPEN".  Of course that is better than last time I tried, when it asked me to purchase it again! :)  Is there a special code, link etc to get it?

Many thanks!

Hello!

I believe I have asked this before, but HOW do I get V1.5x?  The app store does not give it to me, it says "OPEN".  Of course that is better than last time I tried, when it asked me to purchase it again! :)  Is there a special code, link etc to get it?

Many thanks!

The version in the App Store is not the latest build. This is. It's purpose is to correct bugs found in the current App Store version. Once it passes beta, a new App Store version should be released.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 6 months later...

december 2016 --- it is now late october 2017 and  what we have seen is a Sideways move to Windows and the tablet, but no further action moving forward for Designer or Photo, 

meanwhile, Adobe is continuing to develop features.    

as I look around the forum I notice the lack of activity, and as I continue to find critical restrictions in Affinity, I have been reconsidering Adobe's CC,  painful as the thought is.

no talk of updates to the programs, what it is now is what it will be?  ....  ?   ... ?  

I agree with Karl Works.

Does someone have any idea of the roadmap for the next updates in Affinity photo ? 

But in my case, I've turned to ON1 Photo Raw which is also a great alternative to Lightroom.

System : i5 6600 QuadCore 3.3GHz, Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR4, 32 Gb DDR Ballistix Sport LT, MSI Aero ITX GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10 Pro 64bits

2 hours ago, Karl Works said:

no talk of updates to the programs, what it is now is what it will be?  ....  ?   ... ?  

There have been plenty of updates since 1.5; just not yet available for the commercial version. If you view the beta section of this forum, you can test run the 1.6 betas. Photo 1.6.0.84 for Windows was released just yesterday, so I wouldn't say there is no talk of updates. :10_wink:

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I've tried searching, and it seems like you use Lensfun for lens corrections.  Do you envision a wider and more systematic addition to this roster?  Even UFRaw has a better selection of lenses, and it's free.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 1:20 AM, Bri-Toon said:

There have been plenty of updates since 1.5; just not yet available for the commercial version. If you view the beta section of this forum, you can test run the 1.6 betas. Photo 1.6.0.84 for Windows was released just yesterday, so I wouldn't say there is no talk of updates. :10_wink:

1.5 is almost a year old though. Also, when you go to Beta forums, it's not that easy to find information about newest features, only the fixes are clearly listed. Sure, we know for instance non-destructive develop persona should be coming soon-ish, but will it be included in 1.6? Or maybe in 2.0? Who knows, because it's not really clear from that thread. Currently, opening a 20MB raw file takes about 5-10s on a 6core/8GB ram/SSD desktop which I find just silly. In some thread they said they will look into this issue and try to optimise the performance, but again, WHEN? I don't have the time to fight with my software.

But hey, they obviously got the time to fiddle with the ipad version. Shame there are no updates about 1.6 and important stuff. Playing with the sofware on an iPad is nice and everything, but a professional needs more than that and if Serif wants to provide a meaningful replacement for adobe products, they should probably do a little more, at least when it comes to releasing information about updates.

Btw. I tried the beta version too. No signs of non-destructive persona or any optimisation when it comes to opening raw files. If it's not even in beta yet, when should we expect this as these features should be of course properly tested first? In 2-3 years judging by the speed of development so far?

I'm sorry I'm being negative, but.. The software is currently unusable on my laptop because of frequent crashes and performance issues, and on my desktop it's not a walk in a park either.

1 hour ago, duckarp said:

Also, when you go to Beta forums, it's not that easy to find information about newest features, only the fixes are clearly listed.

I agree it's not easy to backtrack which features were added at this point, but the original 1.6 topics should list the new features added.

Sure, we know for instance non-destructive develop persona should be coming soon-ish, but will it be included in 1.6? Or maybe in 2.0?

Anything listed on the official roadmap was said to arrive before the first paid update, which would be 2.0.

Currently, opening a 20MB raw file takes about 5-10s on a 6core/8GB ram/SSD desktop which I find just silly.

I'm sorry that things are not working out, but honestly, 8GB ram is fairly low in modern technology. 5-10 second launch time for that specification is pretty good considering how much is packed in Affinity Photo.

But hey, they obviously got the time to fiddle with the ipad version. Shame there are no updates about 1.6 and important stuff. Playing with the sofware on an iPad is nice and everything, but a professional needs more than that and if Serif wants to provide a meaningful replacement for adobe products, they should probably do a little more, at least when it comes to releasing information about updates.

Since you didn't say whether you use Windows or Mac, here are the updates added to 1.6 other than just fixes.

Windows: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40233-affinity-photo-customer-beta-16071/

Mac: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40178-affinity-photo-customer-beta-16-beta-1/

As one of the staff members said, it's all about priorities. They need to get the more important things squared away first, and then they can attend to the lesser features. iPad and mobil is the direction most people are going today; probably about 2/3 of the world.

Btw. I tried the beta version too. No signs of non-destructive persona or any optimisation when it comes to opening raw files. If it's not even in beta yet, when should we expect this as these features should be of course properly tested first?

It doesn't mean that feature will never come. I am pumped about several features on Designer's roadmap, but I get that it will take time. They can't just release the features. They need to make sure they do them right. Additionally, they need to consider what features are more important for the industry standard and not just what people are looking for (even though all suggestions are considered). If you view the forum as much as I do, you'll realize most of the decisions Affinity makes are actually for good causes. It progresses in a way that is different from the regular business world. There was a bug in Adobe Illustrator in which all nested layers would be expanded each time on start. That was not addressed until I believe version CC2.

6 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I'm sorry that things are not working out, but honestly, 8GB ram is fairly low in modern technology. 5-10 second launch time for that specification is pretty good considering how much is packed in Affinity Photo.

I think that 8GB is plenty for handling 20MB raw files. All other programs handle it very fast (under 2s to open, without any hiccups, crashes or anything), including Digital Photo Professional, Zoner Photo Studio X and Lightroom CC. Only Affinity Photo takes forever to open the same file, so I assume it's not my computer.

Also it's not only slow, but there are frequent crashes as well. From what I've seen on these forums and on the internet, unfortunately it's not a rare sight. If Serif wants to make Affinity Photo a replacement for LR/PS, this is not acceptable. 

Since you didn't say whether you use Windows or Mac, here are the updates added to 1.6 other than just fixes.

Windows: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40233-affinity-photo-customer-beta-16071/

Mac: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40178-affinity-photo-customer-beta-16-beta-1/

Thanks, helps a bit. Btw, it's Windows version for me.

As one of the staff members said, it's all about priorities. They need to get the more important things squared away first, and then they can attend to the lesser features. iPad and mobil is the direction most people are going today; probably about 2/3 of the world.

I guess it depends on whether Serif wants to target amateurs or professionals. Slow opening of files and destructive RAW editing are two main issues for most professionals I've talked about this with.

It doesn't mean that feature will never come. I am pumped about several features on Designer's roadmap, but I get that it will take time. They can't just release the features. They need to make sure they do them right. Additionally, they need to consider what features are more important for the industry standard and not just what people are looking for (even though all suggestions are considered). If you view the forum as much as I do, you'll realize most of the decisions Affinity makes are actually for good causes. It progresses in a way that is different from the regular business world. There was a bug in Adobe Illustrator in which all nested layers would be expanded each time on start. That was not addressed until I believe version CC2.

Even though that's true, they should work on their communication with their customers a bit more and be more open about upcoming changes, fixes etc. For example many people didn't even know that Serif plans to implement non-destructive develop persona until I told them...

I want Affinity Photo to succeed, because when it works, it works very nicely. I despise Adobe's subscription model and Serif created a quite good competition for Adobe's products. It's just these few things that really bother me and I'm not happy when I have to role play a detective to find information about updates like this.

First of all, I almost forgot. Welcome to the Affinity forum!

15 hours ago, duckarp said:

I despise Adobe's subscription model and Serif created a quite good competition for Adobe's products.

Amen to that. I don't use Windows, so I can't judge on the problems that rise. I'd say the best thing to do is to report any crashes or compatibility problems in the proper sections so the Affinity crew is made aware of these issues. They tend to get lost when they are mixed up in the wrong place. I learned from experience that they are very good in addressing reported issues.

May I ask why you say Affinity needs to work on communication? I respect all opinions of course, but the above was only your second post.

Thank you :)

I think most crashes I faced so far were probably already reported by others and I remember few occasions when Serif acknowledged it and said it's going to be fixed in the newest version. Unfortunately no word about actual release dates. 

And that's what bothers me about their communication with the customers. I don't think they're doing a great job when it comes to releasing information about newest updates, release dates, fixes etc.Last update for Windows version was back in May and it's already almost Christmas. I know there's the beta version, but... Most people have problems finding good relevant information about upcoming changes and the beta version has its own problems too from what I've seen so far (of course, it's a beta).

When I go read the blog, the last article was published a month ago and the last relevant information for me as a Affinity Photo user was back in May. I'd prefer smaller and faster updates instead of one a bit larger every xx months. My clients won't wait that long and I really don't want to go back to LR/PS :/ 

I understand your frustration then, and I'm sure this is a pressureful decision on Serif as well. They stated that they no longer announce release dates because of incidents in which they overestimated the work that was involved. They have made announcements on release dates in the past, but then there have been postpones. So now, they don't announce exact dates because they don't want to discourage customers if that happens again.

So I understand how this might be upsetting to you. I cannot relate since I currently use Affinity for personal use while attempting to promote my art, but I get it since you are looking into doing more. Thankfully, updates are free as you already know. I guess the best advice I can give is to just stay patient and wait for the work to be done.

Bri-Toon or anyone, I linked through to the link Bri-Toon posted and the link is broken and it won't let me plant it in this post, good reason if it is not reachable. The link was for Beta updates. What I am looking for is just the area where I can check for updates finished. Or how else would we get notified about these when they occur? By the way, I am Desktop. I am not iPad or phone. I like a keyboard and I like a large screen, so if Affinity is not going to continue to serve us desktop users I may have to rethink the photo editor switch from Photoshop. Hoping I won't have to do that, which is why I am asking.

I do not see a link from inside Affinity Photo to check for updates either. Where do we look for those desktop finished updates, not the betas?

)

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

I just clicked on the link, and I was brought to the page fine. Since you for some reason are unable to reach it, I don't think the staff would mind if I show the updates here. This was posted by Mark Ingram on the topic Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.0.71 in the Photo Beta section for Windows (the first beta of its series). This list lists both features and fixes.

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites (Not available in Windows version yet)
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre (Not available in Windows version yet) 
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre (Not available in Windows version yet) 
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

That thread is five months old, Brian! Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.6.0.85 was released last week.

On 12/10/2017 at 0:00 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Photo version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Updated ExifTool to 10.63 (from 10.58)
  • Fixed Retouch Tools failing to work correctly in 32bit
  • Fixed Lens correction not being applied to Canon Powershot S100 raw file
  • Fixed Canon EOS 7D Mark II: colour fringing issues
  • Fixed Angle and Tilt for Wacom and Surface Pen
  • Fixed Colour Panel switches back when trying to change non-Tint sliders on Global Colours
  • Fixed Font Traits cause a Font Family to appear multiple times under Used Fonts
  • Fixed Colour Chooser dialog missing 'selected colour node' in the Sliders waterfall
  • Fixed Heading and Pitch do not update with Equirectangular Projection
  • Fixed Fonts are not organised by weight in font lists
  • Fixed Alt+LMB+RMB doesn't update size/hardness in Tone Mapping context toolbar
  • Fixed Layer > Hide and Show are missing from the Layer Menu
  • Fixed Live lighting bump map opacity reverts to 0
  • Fixed Multiply blend in 32bit RGB
  • Fixed Live Perspective filter layers with degenerate transforms
  • Fixed attempting to refine an existing mask after a crop leads to brush offset issues
  • Fixed Patch Tool Hintline not updating when selection is source is ticked
  • Fixed adding to selection when using Freehand Selection Add mode moving selection
  • Fixed clicking Reset in Defringe changes the Hue to 240 degrees (changed default hue to 270)
  • Fixed crash after selecting brush tool following a frequency separation
  • Fixed artifacts appearing when Depth of Field Live filter placed above Curves Adjustment
  • Fixed being unable to edit Brush Dynamic curve nodes
  • Fixed Adjustment dialog staying open when an Adjustment is deleted
  • Fixed Backspace does not delete node on curves adjustment
  • Fixed being unable to edit swatch via double click
  • Fixed shortcut keys not working in RAW develop persona
  • Fixed camera response function estimation
  • Fixed Mesh tool, Perspective tool, and Crop Tool to honours tool handle size
  • Fixed invalid selections when document size or DPI are changed
  • Fixed Save As on a Read Only file removing the Read Only flag
  • Fixed Gradient Type being reset when changing node colour
  • Fixed Brush Editor values appearing with loss of precision
  • Fixed Edit text styles Baseline not correctly applying
  • Fixed Brush Editor and Context Toolbar not properly linked
  • Fixed Dodge brush does not have protect hue enabled by default
  • Fixed Opening a file in conjunction with Reopen Last Document opens a Read Only file
  • Fixed Blend Range channel list doesn't update after changing colour mode
  • Fixed Align Left on Paragraph tab fails to work
  • Fixed Baseline value can be set to -0%
  • Fixed Leading Override Up/Down arrows fail when set to Auto

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That thread is five months old, Brian! Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.6.0.85 was released last week.

Reveal hidden contents

I know. RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica wanted to access the link I sent to Duckarp when Duckarp wanted to know the new features added to 1.6, and not just the fixes. The first beta will be the one to list which features are new in Affinity while the betas after it should get more into fixes. Duckarp was more interested in the additions, so I had to locate an older beta which already covered it.

7 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

The last thing I tried was deleting cache without any results. If I don't get to the Beta updates, I'm good. Just wondering how I should find the finished, not Beta, updates. 

Reveal hidden contents
  • First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites (Not available in Windows version yet)
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre (Not available in Windows version yet) 
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre (Not available in Windows version yet) 
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

What I don't understand is why @RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica is getting that "No permission" thing. :/

Me neither. I wonder if it's a browser problem?

The last thing I tried was deleting cache without any results. If I don't get to the Beta updates, I'm good. Just wondering how I should find the finished, not Beta, updates.

In time to come since the commercial version of 1.6 has not been released yet. Once the betas are complete, the new features and updates will be incorporated to the official release. Additionally, Affinity has a promotion video and blog entry on their new versions. Just stay up to date, and you should be fine.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:24 PM, Bri-Toon said:

iPad and mobil is the direction most people are going today; probably about 2/3 of the world.

Can you back this claim up with some research data? Do for example even 1/3 of the world professionals do UI design or work on vector graphics on an iPad? From my point of view the Serif went for the money in the mobile market simply because it was there, it was justified by marketing and sales. Somehow they neglected the Designer on the Mac. And you can't do many things at once unless you are Adobe. Compare it with the progress of Sketch or Invision, and take a look how they tend their software. They are very focused mainly on personal computers platform. They progress fast, and they fix the bugs fast too.

Adobe officially released Experience Designer, but they are big, fat corporation with lots of resources, so it would be unjustified to make any comparison to them.

55 minutes ago, tomn said:

Can you back this claim up with some research data? Do for example even 1/3 of the world professionals do UI design or work on vector graphics on an iPad?

Sorry. That may have not have been a great point to bring up, because I was referring to mobil use in general and not just for graphic design. I would agree that more people use desktops for that. I was practically saying that mobil is a major adaption to networking and regular tasks, which might explain why Affinity released their product for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. This a list I made of the new features for the 1.6 update. I hope there isn't something missing.

Both Apps

1. Light UI
  2. Glyph browser
  3. Font chooser dropdown
  4. Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  5. Align to key items (first/last selected)
  6. Text frame vertical alignment options
  7. Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle)
  8. Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  9. PDF export: vector export of multi-stop gradients
  10. High Precision input from WinTab (Wacom and compatible)
  11. Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  12. Added "Show All" and "Unlock All"
  13. Support for Microsoft Dial
  14. Added support for tablets being plugged/unplugged while the app is running
  15. Added support for planar CMYK TIFF
  16. Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  17. Improved performance with large documents
  18. Improved UI responsiveness when panning or zooming during complex operations
  19. Added Russian translations

Designer specific

1. Allow Paste between Artboards to retain artboard-relative object positions

Photo specific

1. Improved load time of RAW files
  2. Improved Inpainting seam healing
  3. Improved Inpainting memory usage
  4. Reduced memory usage during selection refinement

Best regards!

I believe it is only new files that cannot be opened in older versions.