You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.5 has launched!

TonyB

This software is painfully slow...

It takes up to 3 minutes for it to change personas on a single image. How do you expect me to get through 500 images? It will take me an extra 3 days of just waiting on your software to wake up, before i can get a shoot's images edited

This is definitely the photoshop killer i was hoping for.

Your whole selling point was that PS is old and slow code, yet your new code is much worse.

Editing in ACR is also much faster in terms of the bulk i can achieve with it – select all images, bulk edit sliders (IN REALTIME -  NO WAITING). In yours i change a setting on one image, wait, wait, wait then change change again - one at a time... Have you guys even seen how slow turning something like CA is to activate, wow thats almost a 2min wait on its own.

And no its not my i7 and 32gig pc that the problem. PS works fine on it.

My computer is also an i7 with 32Gb RAM; for me, switching between Personas, using a jpg file to test, takes anything between instant and approximately 3 to 4 seconds!

Could you post here or somewhere else one of the images that exhibits this problem for you, along with a detailed description of the steps/changes you made within each Persona?  Then others can test whether this is a problem also for them, or whether there is something specific about your system that is creating this extreme delay.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Tommc4,

I think you forgot to add your post in response to Gouphy's quote.

This software is painfully slow...

It takes up to 3 minutes for it to change personas on a single image.

Are you sure this isn't due to anything related to your computer? For me, switching personas is instant.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm very happy about the release of Affinity Photo for Windows. It replaces GIMP in my case.

The tutorial videos are also helpful and interesting. I've found a few ways to improve the quality of my scanned images even though it's primarily made for photographs.

TWAIN support would be nice to have and save me some time or one step because right now I scan via VueScan and open the file in AP but I do not really need the raw result from VueScan saved on my disk. I could just as well save it with AP when needed if it had direct TWAIN "import". But it's also not a big issue to not have that feature.

The dust & scratches filter is sadly of no use for me because it removes too many details but I'm happy to have the set of healing brush tools. All together they help me get my tasks done faster than before.

I have the problem, that sometimes the selection brush is not working.

When I use it, it does not select anything, but the step is shown in protocol.

Have to uninstall AP, and install it again, than it works again...

Did you check if the correct layer was selected? Having a wrong one selected happened to me a few times (e.g. an adjustment layer).

Wow, almost 24 hours and no response from the company on the problem. 

Again, I went to the App Store, clicked on UPDATES; no updates. 

Then, I clicked on the apps section, found the program, but it wants $39.99.

Ihave been at this for awhile, never run into this before.  Why can't I get a response from Serif on this?

Tom  :(

• Staff

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry the delay getting back to you. With the launch of Affinity Photo for both platforms (Win and Mac) things have been quite busy.

Are you logged in the App Store with the same Apple ID used to buy the application? Can you try to log-out and log-in again in the Mac App Store please?

If that doesn't solve the issue you can try to delete the MAc App Store cache:

1. Close the Mac App Store

2. Open the Terminal app. Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
open $TMPDIR/../C
This will open a Finder window. 

3. Drag the com.apple.appstore folder that's inside there to the Trash.
This folder is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4. Reboot your system.

5. Run the Mac Store app and try to update Affinity again.

I'm very happy about the release of Affinity Photo for Windows. It replaces GIMP in my case.

The tutorial videos are also helpful and interesting. I've found a few ways to improve the quality of my scanned images even though it's primarily made for photographs.

TWAIN support would be nice to have and save me some time or one step because right now I scan via VueScan and open the file in AP but I do not really need the raw result from VueScan saved on my disk. I could just as well save it with AP when needed if it had direct TWAIN "import". But it's also not a big issue to not have that feature.

The dust & scratches filter is sadly of no use for me because it removes too many details but I'm happy to have the set of healing brush tools. All together they help me get my tasks done faster than before.

Did you check if the correct layer was selected? Having a wrong one selected happened to me a few times (e.g. an adjustment layer).

Yes, definitely the correct layer. I just opened a jpg and tried to select something. I also closed AP, tried another photo, restarted the Mac, nothing works. after uninstalling AP, and installing again, it works fine. This happened 2 times so far.

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry the delay getting back to you. With the launch of Affinity Photo for both platforms (Win and Mac) things have been quite busy.

Are you logged in the App Store with the same Apple ID used to buy the application? Can you try to log-out and log-in again in the Mac App Store please?

If that doesn't solve the issue you can try to delete the MAc App Store cache:

1. Close the Mac App Store

2. Open the Terminal app. Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
open $TMPDIR/../C
This will open a Finder window. 

3. Drag the com.apple.appstore folder that's inside there to the Trash.
This folder is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4. Reboot your system.

5. Run the Mac Store app and try to update Affinity again.

Thank you for getting back with me. 

I tried your suggestions TWICE, no change.  There are NO updates listed.  If I try to get the update through the app store, it asks for $39.99.

Yes, the AppleID is the same; it is the only one I have.  The original app was purchased through tha App Store, so there may be an issue with them, I just don't know.

So, what is the next step?  I have wasted a LOT of time yesterday and today trying to get the update.  How do we fix this issue??

Thank you for getting back with me. 

I tried your suggestions TWICE, no change.  There are NO updates listed.  If I try to get the update through the app store, it asks for $39.99.

Yes, the AppleID is the same; it is the only one I have.  The original app was purchased through tha App Store, so there may be an issue with them, I just don't know.

So, what is the next step?  I have wasted a LOT of time yesterday and today trying to get the update.  How do we fix this issue??

I had this initially. Shutting down my Mac Air for a minute then restarting it, had the Affinity Photo 1.5.1 update waiting for me (and probably most others) in the Mac App Store updates section.

I'm now a proud owner of AP as well, after I bought - and fell in love with - AD a few weeks ago.

I might not use the program that often in the near future as my focus lies more on AD at the moment, but for that price with the release offer, I had to take my chances. ;)

TO AFFINITY AND BEYOND...

I have done it! I have joined the ranks of Affinity Photo users around the world! I bought my copy earlier today!  :wub: 

Do you know what this means? Yes, I can throw out all those PhotoShop based magazines that has been taking up too much space in my study!  :lol:  YAY!  :D Space at last!

I can hardly wait to start using Affinity Photo! I am busy with preparing for the Winter Solstice at the moment! Hey, Serif! I haven't received my Designer Workbook yet... I guess it is due to the postal service at this time of year...  :unsure:
 I hope it comes soon! I am watching my door like a hawk! 

It feels great to be amongst the ranks of Affinity Photo & Designer owners/users. ^_^

Power to Serif!  :ph34r: 

I am looking very much forward to Affinity Publisher as I am very interested in creating digital publications for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android platforms. Am I right to assume that Publisher will create web pages too?  :unsure: 

Best wishes, 

Transrobotism  ;) 

I went through all of the video tutorials, my comments:

- they are a great English language course :)

- one should perhaps know a bit of LR and PS to take full advantage of them

- but they are great!

- the help online is good, but what is needed soon is a book!

THANKS for this new great product! Bye bye Adobe....

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Transrobotism. :)

Am I right to assume that Publisher will create web pages too?  :unsure:  

No. Serif have made it clear that they currently have no plans to add website building capabilities to the Affinity suite. We can use the Affinity apps to create content, of course, but there is no provision for publishing to HTML.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Transrobotism. :)

No. Serif have made it clear that they currently have no plans to add website building capabilities to the Affinity suite. We can use the Affinity apps to create content, of course, but there is no provision for publishing to HTML.

Thank you very much, Alfred.  :) 

Oh, that is a shame as I thought WebPlus was a great web design program. :o  I still use WebPlus to this day. I am so curious to learn about the digital publishing aspect of Affinity Publisher. Would it be able to create apps for iOS, Android, and Windows? PagePlus was awesome too; I just found it a little lacking in comparison to Quark Xpress and the mighty InDesign where digital publishing was concerned. I would love to be a part of the beta testing on Affinity Publisher!

I would love to be a part of the beta testing on Affinity Publisher!

We will all have an opportunity to participate in the testing of Affinity Publisher when it's released to public beta.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)