You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop persona - most operations are very slow

Hi!

In Develop Persona most operations like Exposure, Brightness, Contrast etc are very slow. I have wait about 8 to 15 seconds to see effect. Squares of view appears one by one in this time.

I noticed this problem since version 1.5.0.42. Earlier I tested version 1.5.0.39 and it was good, much faster.

Slawek

• Staff

Hi Slawek,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press and hold Ctrl while launching Affinity Photo then select all options and press Clear from the dialog that will open.Please note that this resets everything: preferences, custom brushes etc

Do you still have performance issues after performing the reset?

Hi Slawek,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press and hold Ctrl while launching Affinity Photo then select all options and press Clear from the dialog that will open.Please note that this resets everything: preferences, custom brushes etc

Do you still have performance issues after performing the reset?

Hi!

Clearing didn't help.

I tested a few versions of Affinity Photo today.

1.5.0.35, 37, 38, 39 - Develop Persona is good speed (except in the case of the topic: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27850-clarity-freeze-another-operations/).

1.5.0.42, 43, 45 - all operations in Develop Persona is slow.

I tested Develop Persona with DNG file from Pentax.

I noticed that if I load jpg and go to the Develop Persona all versions of Affinity Photo are good speed (except in the case of above topic).

Slawek

P.S.

My system:

Windows 7 Professional,

CPU: i3-2120 3.3GHz,

RAM: 8GB,

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450.

Hi there at Serif/Affinity,

new customer here (long time Lightroom and Photoline user). :)

I've just bought Affinity Photo for Windows w/o ever trying it before (though I was reading the beta news before) - just to support the venture to prove there is still a valid market for a uncloudified and non-rental software business model. Kudos for going that route!

Though - also confirmed from the today's reactions posted here - the news about the "sudden release" of the final came to my rather surprise, I do see the underlying motivation from the marketing POV. But I am convinced Affinity (for Windows) came here to stay (that is, all the hickups reported will be solved within a reasonable period of time), so I have no problem with a release being slightly premature. Actually, at the current price tag, I had to vote with my wallet!

Anyway, I just played with the develop persona, and can confirm, loading A7II, compressed raws from SSD is indeed slow (~10-15 secs). Furthermore the blockwise nature of the viewport update is visually evident on a fresh installation.

Q: is there a setting for temp folders (for memory swapping)?

affinian

Hi affinian,

I have the same experience. I just purchased Affinity Photo (Win) this morning - to accompany the vector editing tool (Designer) - and it moves just like yours on my PC. I tried a few of the sample files that you can download when you start the software. On higher resolution documents the viewport updates very slowly with visible randomly updating blocks of the screen. This phenomenon is most evident when you try to move around some layers.

Photo was installed on SSD, Windows (10) runs from SSD too, both have enough free space on them. Other specs (i5 4.1Ghz, 16Gb ram, GTX 650ti 2Gb).

---

Serif keep up the good work, as affinian said we're supporting you, Photo and Designer are already awesome! We just need some fixes here and there :)

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

Hi!

I noticed that if I load RAW file (it opens in the Develop Persona), and then I go to the Photo Persona (without any changes), and then go to the Develop Persona again, performance is good, fast enough.

But, if I open RAW file in the Develop Persona, photo is in RGBA/32 colour format. Then, after go to the Photo Persona, and to the Develop Persona again, photo is in RGBA/16 colour format. So I loose part of colour information. Am I right?

Slawek

• Staff

Hey Slawek, you are correct, RAW images are processed in unbounded 32-bit and then converted to 16-bit integer when you develop them. You can change this behaviour if you want and stay in 32-bit - see 32-bit Raw Development.

The Develop persona has admittedly gotten slower, especially since version 1.4, because it now operates in 32-bit. This allows increased precision and is beneficial to some specific workflows, but is more demanding. Hopefully performance gains can be achieved - do look out for future customer betas and updates. Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 years later...

I have to add my findings also, I have noticed since updating to 1.7 that developing a raw file from a Nikon D750 is taking twice as long on my iMac mid 2011, 3.4 GHz i7 with 16gb of DDR3 than the previous version. After making a few alterations with the develop sliders in the Develop Persona and committing the change, its almost like the process is hanging up ready to fail prior to the file opening up in the Photo Persona. 

On another note. Congratulations on the Tutorials in Photo, Designer and Publisher ( I have preordered Publisher ) The tutorials are now easier to locate from the help menu, thank you great job on presentations

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.