You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I break an outline and convert it to a path?

Hi

I'm currently trying to convert from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. 

I'm wondering how I can break an outline to further modifiy it. Also how can one convert an outline to a normal path object?

I illustrated my problems:

post-42140-0-75533600-1481142382_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

post-42140-0-75533600-1481142382_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi deC9r,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To break a path, select the Node Tool click on the path to add a node then go to the context toolbar and press Break Curve from the Action section. If your path is a (parametric) shape you have to convert it to curves (path) first before uisng the Node Tool pressing ⌘ (cmd) + ↵ (enter) or going to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Curves.

To convert an outline (stroke) to a path go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke.

I am trying to do the same. I have a shape (a rectangle) that I selected and converted to curves. I use the node tool to add points, and now I want to delete one point to open the curve. When I select the point, there is no "action" or "break curve" in the context menu.

In Illustrator, I simply select with white arrow, delete and never have to read up or ask questions.

I am trying to do the same. I have a shape (a rectangle) that I selected and converted to curves. I use the node tool to add points, and now I want to delete one point to open the curve. When I select the point, there is no "action" or "break curve" in the context menu.

In Illustrator, I simply select with white arrow, delete and never have to read up or ask questions.

If I understood your question correctly, select the node you have added to the chosen location, use the "open curve" tool in the context menu. Once the curve is open select the node again and use the arrow keys to move it and open the curve.

post-37692-0-78302100-1481306762_thumb.png

OK, now I see. When I had read "context toolbar", I was thinking contextual menu, so I was right clicking and not seeing anything there. Thanks for your help. Not the easiest way to achieve this based on my experience with other apps, but your explanation straightened me out. Thanks again.

OK, now I see. When I had read "context toolbar", I was thinking contextual menu, so I was right clicking and not seeing anything there. Thanks for your help. Not the easiest way to achieve this based on my experience with other apps, but your explanation straightened me out. Thanks again.

Happy to have been able to help you stinkykong.