You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpaint brush very, very, very slow (and unreliable)!

Hello.

I've noticed, that inpaint brush works insanely slow. Here is scenario:

Image (Eos rebel 5, "portrait" format) has "tilted" horizon. Image is straightened using "straighten" function of crop tool. As a result I have image with "missing" content in corners. After applying inpaint brush to "fill" them i got three possible results:

- filled or partially filled (with some "empty" gaps) areas with "proper" content,

- no changes at all.

Sometimes this action takes 2...3 minutes on my notebook (I7 2630, 16G ram, Nvidia GT540), sometimes it is reasonably fast (10 seconds).

How it works in  others computers?

On my Mac Pro and MacBook Pros,

constant, reliable, and fast. Groovy!

Mind you, either from my Nikons or

my Phase One, RAW files are pro-

cessed in Capture One and expor-

ted as JPG in AP.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

After applying inpaint brush to "fill" them i got three possible results:

- filled or partially filled (with some "empty" gaps) areas with "proper" content,

- no changes at all.

I count only two items in that list ;) but when I got the second one I found that inpainting worked OK if I rasterized the rotated layer first (even though it was already a 'Pixel' layer rather than an 'Image' layer).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

when I got the second one I found that inpainting worked OK if I rasterized the rotated layer first (even though it was already a 'Pixel' layer rather than an 'Image' layer).

Can you try to "Layer -> Rasterise" before using the inpaint brush? I have a suspicion that might help.

Is there an echo in here? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

C1 + AP is (i hope) the workflow of the future :)

C1 for sure… (the way they go)!

AP is another thing. Granted, it is, at this point, the better

alternative to PS CC but it is still in its infancy and I hope

it will mature very fast. If one dreams to pair AP with say

Capture One, there will be quite some major brain works 

required to bring it up and time is not on its side as pros

are willing pay for tangible solutions. In this, I trust the team

is cooking some cool solutions… but when will we be working

with the new versions remains the big question?

…still waiting for Publisher!

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

+100 couldn't agree more, C1+AP way to go. I hope AP doesn't start putting resource into things like cataloguing and concentrate on getting what they have faster and more stable. The develop module has enormous potential but for it to be as good as C1? Hmmm not at the current price point. 

anyways, the main reason for the post, would someone please be so kind as to point me in the direction of where I can get a detailed explanation of this rasterising a pixel layer thing? particularly why/benefits/negatives/affect on IQ etc.

Thanks

Regards

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.